Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After becoming silently frustrated, I called BA this afternoon.

Full EU compensation processed within moments. Full expenses of £210 hotel, trains, taxi's, etc and new t-shirt/socks/underwear and toiletries for lost baggage.

They were hard lined in the way of additional compensation over and above this though. They offered a discretionary 2000 Avios and after a lot of trying, I got fed up. That better be the best in-flight coffee and panini I'll ever have! :rotfl:

A good result overall, well done :beer:
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Tyzap
    Options
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • jubileee
    jubileee Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    I would argue that you were never covered by the regulation. This is because the flight you bought didn't qualify for 261/04 protection, and so therefore neither would any subsequent rerouted flight (because you never had a paid for ticket with them or had a contract with them for that matter).

I would justify this interpretation by reference to the original regulation that makes clear that if you are rerouted and the rerouted plane gets you to your destination more than 2 hours late, the liability for compensation sits with the original operating airline, not the subsequent airline you actually flew with. Since the original airline never came under the regulation, no compensation is due - even if you flew on a European carrier that turned out to be late.

I submitted a claim to BA anyway on the basis that I was still a ticketed passenger, irrespective of the fact I was only so because of a re-route. I have today received £1079.81 in compensation (for 2 people).

My original flight with AA from USA (so not covered by regs) was cancelled and I was re-routed onto a BA flight. The BA flight was subject to a 30+ hour delay so I was re-routed again. I claimed on the basis that, had the BA flight that I was rerouted on operated as it should have, I would have arrived at Ncl at 10.40. Because it didn't, I ended up re-routed again (flew with AA) and arrived back at Ncl at 14.50

I also claimed via AA for the original cancellation and we were given a $300 dollar voucher each (not sure if we'll use them being as I now consider AA to be the worst airline in the world!)
  • Tyzap
    Options
    jubileee wrote: »
    I submitted a claim to BA anyway on the basis that I was still a ticketed passenger, irrespective of the fact I was only so because of a re-route. I have today received £1079.81 in compensation (for 2 people).

My original flight with AA from USA (so not covered by regs) was cancelled and I was re-routed onto a BA flight. The BA flight was subject to a 30+ hour delay so I was re-routed again. I claimed on the basis that, had the BA flight that I was rerouted on operated as it should have, I would have arrived at Ncl at 10.40. Because it didn't, I ended up re-routed again (flew with AA) and arrived back at Ncl at 14.50

I also claimed via AA for the original cancellation and we were given a $300 dollar voucher each (not sure if we'll use them being as I now consider AA to be the worst airline in the world!)

Hi jubileee,

Thats very interesting, thanks for taking the trouble to post and congratulations on getting to the bottom of a complicated claim.

You have helped to clear up a couple of much debated and unclear points and I hope I'm not reading too much into it.

Just to take it a step further. If your original flight had been with another EU carrier, rather than AA, it now looks, to me at least, that you could have claimed 2 sets of compensation.

It also seems that it is not essential to have paid for your re routed flight to qualify for compensation from that airline.

Good luck.
  • nedsram_2
    Options
    Last September we were delayed 24 hours at LAX because the A380 "had been damaged on the tarmac at LHR". We eventually got compensation for that, but no sooner had that had happened than we were delayed 24 hours at LGW (bound for San Jose) because some incompetent !!!! managed to ram the fork lift into the fuselage below the cargo door while attempting to load a large pallette into the B777. Perhaps BA should fire the people who load their cargo - they say lightning doesn't strike twice, but in our case it clearly did.

That's not to mention the two weather related delays of 24 hours we've also suffered with BA long haul flights. It must be something about us and BA!
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    nedsram wrote: »
    It must be something about us and BA!

You are probably just a jinx. Please tell us what flights you are going on in future so we can avoid them.
    Seriously though, you should pursue your claims
  • jubileee
    jubileee Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Hi jubileee,

Thats very interesting, thanks for taking the trouble to post and congratulations on getting to the bottom of a complicated claim.

You have helped to clear up a couple of much debated and unclear points and I hope I'm not reading too much into it.

Just to take it a step further. If your original flight had been with another EU carrier, rather than AA, it now looks, to me at least, that you could have claimed 2 sets of compensation.

It also seems that it is not essential to have paid for your re routed flight to qualify for compensation from that airline.

Good luck.

Thanks. It was quite useful that the point about whether you needed to have paid for a rerouted flight was being debated at the point I made my first post (page 79).
  • **Missy**
    Options
    It should have been a British Airways flight
  • andromark2
    Options
    Returning from Vancouver on 27th May we were transferred to Air Canada by BA ground staff, but only economy was available not premium economy we had booked with BA. We departed over 2 hours early so requested cancellation and downgrade compensation plus a baggage charge for being above economy limit.
    BA has to date refused all compensation twice because "your flight was not cancelled and departed on time". WHAT??
    BA ground staff, Vancouver Airport, Air Canada and 100+ other passengers who transferred to them all think it was cancelled. So, fantasy lies hoping we will get bored or give up.
    Keep pushing everybody and pump your claims, they deserve all they get.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When were you informed of the flight change?
    Was the BA flight actually cancelled? And why was it cancelled? If due to an EC, you may not be due compensation.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport