Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi HelenKrill,

Did they offer you 261 comp for both cancelled flights?

If one qualifies so does the other, imo.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • rumpetroll
    Options
    Hi,

I was recently on an EJ flight from Geneva to Gatwick, the flight was delayed by around 4 hours. I put in a claim under EC261 which was promptly accepted and paid, I also claimed for 14.80 CHF for food and drink I bought, EJ have rejected this because I purchased it 28 minutes before the scheduled departure.

The only reason I bought the food and drink is because they had been telling us for nearly 2 hours beforehand about how long the delay was. I wouldn't have bought food at the airport had the flight not been delayed from a planned 7.10pm to an 11pm departure since I already had food ready at home but didn't really fancy eating at well past midnight. Shortly after I had eaten they started giving out 15CHF vouchers, which I didn't take since I had already eaten.

Did I screw up or is my claim valid? How can I contact EJ now, the email they sent me had no way of replying or info on what to do if I want to appeal. The CEDR website says I need a final written statement from EJ mentioning CEDR before I can appeal. Obviously I don't want to risk having to pay CEDR £25 if they reject my claim.

Do you think it's worth pursuing or am I just wasting my time and potentially £25?
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rumpetroll wrote: »
    I also claimed for 14.80 CHF for food and drink I bought, EJ have rejected this because I purchased it 28 minutes before the scheduled departure.

Sounds completely spurious to me although there's no way I'd bother with CEDR over a £12 claim.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    We were delayed on the 10th December Milan Malpensa to Luton flight when there was snow at Luton and the airport was shut for a while. The outgoing flight was late arriving, we got on the aircraft then the pilot came out and announced the 4.20am departure slot they'd just been given would take them over their hours so we had to get off the plane and spent the night in the airport as they couldn't find a replacement crew and it was too late to sort hotels etc. They cancelled and rescheduled the flight and we eventually got back about 12 hours late.

Easyjet have just rejected the claim due to weather. Would a lack of replacement crew be a reason for compensation?
    Our flight was scheduled as EZY2286 to depart at 21.55 on 10th December. We finally got onto the aircraft at about 1.15am in the morning, only for the pilot to announce they'd been given a 4.20am departure slot which took them over their hours. Back into the airport, a lot of hanging around for about an hour whilst the ground crew consulted their computer and took some phone calls, all in Italian which we don't speak, and eventually at about 2.30am they told us we would not be departing until the morning. They told us we should be departing at 6.30am which given checkin was required 2 hours before, meant that going to a hotel wasn't an option for most of us. At some ungodly hour we queued up and were checked in again as flight EZY9286 scheduled to leave at 7.15am. Overnight there was snow and ice in Milan, the aircraft had to be deiced and we didn't take off until about 9.30am arriving back at about 11.30am.

Sorry, can't find details of the delayed outgoing flight we flew back on but it originated in Luton where there was snow.
    I think we'll push it in Botts direction and hope for the best. 70+% of something is worth much more than 100% of nothing which is all we're being offered by EJ at the moment. OH lost a day's pay which is more than we'll get back if we get any compo.

Just to catch up on this thread, we've heard today from Botts that EJ will be paying compensation. They tried wriggling, had to prove we'd flown with them (fortunately we'd kept our tickets) as at one point they said they couldn't find us on the manifest.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done.
    EJ claims department seemingly run by idiots...
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • LondonGirlie
    Options
    Hi,
    Does anyone know if I can claim for a diversion? Was due to fly into Dubrovnik at 10:15am, pilot couldn’t land due to high winds. We circled but winds didn’t drop so diverted to Zagreb, we then had a couple of hours on the tarmac while they decided what to do and then told we would have to be taken by coach, we finally arrived in Dubrovnik at 11:45pm. People on the flight were complaining saying there were much closer airports he could have diverted to, is this relevant? Any advice gratefully received
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    People on the flight were complaining saying there were much closer airports he could have diverted to, is this relevant?

Probably not.
  • LondonGirlie
    Options
    So would a claim still be worthwhile though even if that is not relevant?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Options
    So would a claim still be worthwhile though even if that is not relevant?

the reason for your delayed arrival was the weather/winds. Airlines don't control the weather so they are not liable for compensation for delays caused by the weather. you could check if your travel insurance policy pays anything
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    CEDR Update.
    Finally got a response from Easyjet through CEDR 2 months after initial decision.
    Easyjet have made an offer of £400, " without liability, goodwill blah blah " for 2 people. It should be at least £445 - €250 per person.

Do I argue the toss for the extra £45?
    And it requires another extensive spreadsheet to complete, when they already have ALL the details they need.
    So fricking frustrating.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family