Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On that day BA cancelled at least 35 flights to and from London, including the BA 1326/7 to and from Newcastle, the San Francisco flight itself operated as normal. It does suggest Air Traffic Control ordered BA to reduce the number of flights operating and you may not, therefore, have a claim, Use the online resources mentioned above but check the Newcastle flight only.

If you need further help, please use the existing BA file which is currently directly below the one you have started
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are legal rules for calculating periods of time but in this case 14 calendar days is absolutely fine.
  • Rolyan
    Rolyan Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you, much appreciated.

P.S. I can’t quote, as it won’t allow it on mobile for some reason.
  • Rolyan
    Rolyan Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 December 2018 at 2:19PM
    Options
    Quick update as encouragement for anyone wondering whether or not to do it.

I started my claim online with BA on 21.11.18, using the template on here.

They had not responded at all within the 14 days, so on 07.12.18 I used the Notice Before Action template on here, entered it online, and copied it in via email to the CEO, plus the Customer Services Director. I received a reply via email on the same day, 07.12.18, confirming that I was entitled to compensation, and that they were arranging a bank transfer of 1200 euros.

I doubt that it would have been as easy, or even successful, without the help from MSE and the people on this forum. Thank you to everyone who helped, and for putting the guide together.
  • Madone13
    Madone13 Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve submitted a claim to BA for a delayed flight (delayed for a faulty aircraft) – BA have acknowledged that the flight was delayed for 189 minutes but are claiming that only 166 was due to the faulty aircraft (which have they have acknowledged as ‘payable’) and the remaining 23 minutes is ‘non payable’

I noted a few pages up that BA have tried to claim that the final 20 minutes of the flight was due to airfield congestion on another claim – surely if there was airfield congestion then the only reason we were caught up in it in the 1st place is because the plane was delayed?

Is there any case law relating to this?
  • Justice13075
    Options
    It is irrelevant how long the plane was delayed at the airport it is the time the doors are opened at your final destination and if they delay wasn't caused by an extraordinary circumstance and was over 3 hours late you will have a claim. Put your details into bottonline and euclaim and see what they say
  • Madone13
    Options
    It is irrelevant how long the plane was delayed at the airport it is the time the doors are opened at your final destination and if they delay wasn't caused by an extraordinary circumstance and was over 3 hours late you will have a claim. Put your details into bottonline and euclaim and see what they say

Sorry I should have been clearer - the official time of the delay was 189 minutes (which BA have acknowledged) - however BA are claiming that only 166 of the minutes was due to them - BottOnline says that I have a valid claim.

Am I best to continue to pursue through BA's claim for or to go via Bott?

Thanks
  • Justice13075
    Options
    What about euclaim? if they say you are due compensation, and if BA has refused you compensation ask BA to send you a deadlock letter then you can take it to Arbitration.
  • Madone13
    Options
    Thanks for your response - EUclaim also says that I should be due compensation. I will wait for BA's response to my last query, if they continue to dispute the claim I'll request a deadlock letter.
  • Justice13075
    Options
    BA has signed up to using the CEDR arbitration service
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family