NST January 2020: A Turtle Quest

Options

Comments

• x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 4 January 2020 at 10:56PM
    Options
    It's my birthday today, so we popped into town so bf could get me some perfume. Bodyshop always sends £5.00 voucher for my birthday & I won £7.00 on the scratchies my mum always sends me so I bought some facewash with the voucher & £3.50 of my winnings.
    Bf then treated me to the cinema and 5guys, so I'm happy & full of burger.

Question everything: - Your habits :- Sax Practice. - Busy day today so no chance to practice.
    Ugly, unloved or unused - Minimalist Challenge. Day 4 - Pool noodle, Kite, Poached egg maker, broken beard comb.
    Exercise your mind and body. Lots of walking.
    Savings.
    Thankfulness. 1) Thankful for all my thoughtful presents. 2) Thankful.for the new Five Guys in town. 3) Thankful for a good film.

16 NSDS minimum. 2/31 NSD. Only spend was £3.50 from birthday money, so I think that's allowed.

Give. Money, time, food. A colleague is doing dry-january, so I will donate to her cause at the end of the month.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Fmess wrote: »
    I like the idea of clearing out 2020 items this year! I did 3 the other day so will aim to do another 10 tonight when I get home :)
    I'm doing the Minimalist 30 day challenge, (doing all 31 days) if I complete the month it will be 496 items out the house. :D
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    It's turned into a quiet pottering sort of day. Weather didn't look promising earlier so I decided against recommencing battle with the drains (may have to dig out the one in the backs as well) - still hoping Mr and Mrs Builder manage to squeeze me in before they depart in search of Winter sun.

Took a book back to the library and mum's old internet hub to be recycled (freepost packing). Thought I would leave shopping until after 3 pm hoping that most people would have headed for home by then. have started collecting various categories of rubbish and recycling. More charity donations to go (already checked and the bin in the library was empty).

Bathroom is in urgent need of cleaning and made a start by chucking stuff down the loo (empty bottle into recycling and a new one brought up from the shopping delivered last night). Have emptied the bath in stages and it's still not done (don't want it to pour through the crack in the kitchen ceiling).

Kitchen looks messy but think there is only a light surface layer to clear - remnants of all the things they have eaten whilst I've been away - empty packets and a couple of lumps of something stuck in a pool of fat in a foil tray.

I had quiche for breakfast, a head of celery plus hummus and garlic dip (the rest will be thrown away as I scraped a mouldy bit off the top yesterday and most of it had already been consumed) and the rest of my delicious curry later. All stuff I cooked/ brought back from mum's.

I have done lists of numbers for the 366 penny challenge and 'unloved, unused, unwanted' and done a clothes audit as I unpacked and put things away in drawers or on hangers. I've added N for new beside things I bought or started to wear in 2019 (some things were bought in end of season sales in 2018), O for old - items that are marked, have holes or look shabby and S for things that currently do not fit but am keeping (t shirt bought for my aunt's funeral 2 years ago is tight but I can get it on, camisole top fits but has lots of small buttons and my unruly bosom sometimes escapes, both will be fine if I lose a little more weight but are at the back of the drawer for now. I am on the lookout for a replacement for my lovely thick, cuddly cardigan but have enough things to layer up in cold weather to wait for the right garment to appear (preferably in a cs).

Went to get stamps and birthday cards for mum (her partner had 5 children, 7 grandchildren and we've lost count of the great grandchildren - just counted 17 and we've been told another is on the way). I have converted mum to the joys of the 29p card sometimes on offer at 4 for a £1 (she puts a £10 inside each child's). When I got to card factory they had the 10 for £1 offer, so I bought 20 (had been told to get 12 'cupcake, shopping, llamas' suitable for teenage girls- women and 4 for teen and upwards boys - I managed to get some number cards for this years younger birthdays on an earlier expedition). Mum has always been addicted to the 'yards of verse' cards and it's taken her a while to accept that you are lucky to find ones that say happy birthday and that most people don't care about the verse (think the ones I have bought previously must have been well received as she has asked for more of the same). Later I risked stepping inside t' works and they had 20 for a £1 so I bought another 20. We're probably covered for the next 3 months.

I spent a bit of money myself but have merely noted the presence of some items. I looked to see if Wilcos had any reductions on their own brand white ceramic and 'pyrex' type dishes. I have bought one or two of the large ones last year to use for roasting/ baking but am now thinking the smaller ones would be ideal for one portion meals/ pies etc (I try to look for DW/ microwave/ ovenproof ones) as I phase out plastic boxes. Most of mine are recycled takeaway boxes (consumed by DS3 and Beloved) but they are getting flimsier all the time and I'm lucky to get 3 uses out of them when they used to last for months. No offers however, so I can keep them in mind and pick up one or two at a time when I have a bit of spare cash.

I found £1.59 on the tray which holds my breathing machine and £1.22 on my bedside trolley this morning, so they have been tucked away in a drawer and I have crossed those amounts off the penny challenge list. I think they were found as I tidied before Christmas - odd pennies under the bed, hidden in corners or dropped in the bottom of bags when shopping.

Used some of my kindness superpower today chatting to an old lady who was obviously a bit lonely - her son has been in the navy for over 20 years and his wife isn't friendly and hasn't visited her for over 7 years. When they do come back they always stay with the d-i-l's parents. So instead of exchanging a few words (we were sitting on the same bench in the shopping centre) I stayed for about half an hour.

Today I am grateful for enjoying my own company (I need to make an effort to mix with others), for food from stores and that DS1 and darling d-i-l have passed their home inspection with flying colours so may be getting the puppy soon.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Deni_debt-free_dreamer
    Options
    Evening everyone
    I have put away the Xmas decs but left the tree up for one more day. Have put a few unwanted & unused Xmas decorations in the charity bag.
    Made soup to use up ingredients in the fridge.
    Had a nice walk with DD2 who is home from her boyfriends but back at uni on Monday.
    Gratitudes:
    lovely time spent with DD2
    generosity of my Dad and step mum who gave me their old car - 3.5 years old - for free!
    kind neighbour who let DD1 park her car on his drive as we temporarily have 3 cars and only room on the drive for 2
    Nite
    Deni x
    LBM - October 2018; finally debt free on 16 March 2021
    2023 Mortgage Free Wannabee #92023 Mortgage free in March 23 !
    Decluttering Campaign member 2023🏅🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    Decluttering Campaign Member 2024 🏅🏅
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A spend day today as bought petrol, eggs, bread and milk, turps, kitchen cloths and a coffee at the hospital. Grateful for a day off work, my gran feeling ok after her operation and a good work out at the gym.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10796.88/£15000 (72% saved). Emergency fund - £1538.77/£2000 (76.9% saved).
  • shabbychic12
    Options
    Have spent a productive evening filling in my KAKEBO (Japanese art of saving money journal) and now have a much better idea of my projected spending and saving for this month. It has also shown even though l though l was being careful with my spending l am down on my savings this time last year. Belt tightening has commenced in the shabby household. I’m going to take it month by month currently.
    I am grateful today for time spent at a yoga new year new you intentions workshop, for putting Christmas to bed and a quiet night counting my gold( l wish) if you have ever watched Dads army you will get this. Night to all x
    Count down to retirement 2023
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    :bdaycake:Happy birthday for yesterday, raphael! Sounds like it was a good one.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning turtles
    We are dog sitting later so will take lunch with us. Saves risking the diet and a spend. DS2 is going out for a few hours and OH has commandeered part of his garage so that we don’t have to rent one anymore. So I’ll veg out there and OH will set his new space out.
    We’re getting to the using odd bits up in the freezer now but my online shop comes Tuesday evening so we’ll manage until then.
    I’ve got a bout of vertigo at the moment so I’m treating myself gently when I can. Any unnecessary housework can wait. I lost one days work this week but can’t really afford any more. The doctor has given me some pills that help so it’s just a matter of waiting till it goes.

So today I’m grateful for
    Cuddles with DS2s doggy
    A family that will eat most of my ( sometimes strange ) meal plans and
    It being my day off

I hope you turtles are all well and warm and happy
    Have a good day
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :bdaycake:Happy Birthday for yesterday raphael.

Need to pick up some salad veg today and a birthday cake for DS.

Not sure what else we are doing today, kids are still in bed, they only see about an hour of the morning these days.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Good Morning Turtles!
    Today I got up, pulled on my stompy boots and have told the kids I want to see their homework at the end of the day. They all hate me. I am officially EVIL. How very dare I pull up their online homework schedules and know when their tests are and when their work is due in. Apparently this is unfair and unreasonable, and possibly against their Human Rights. 'Suck it up cupcake', and 'tell it to someone who cares' is not the response they expected. They have had 15 days. I have asked, they have mumbled and shuffled. Deadlines are looming. I am sooo Evil! (apparently). Ho hum, I'll live.
    Need a small shop today, just to get them back to school and lunchbox tat.

Cupboard/fridge/freezer inventory looming, but as I am so evil, and will be child free in 48 hours (phew!) I am going to wait until after I have done my mini shop.

The shouts for today are Anarchy! and I wanna be Evil! and Eartha Kitt style purring.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport