We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wessex Teak - Merged threads

Options

Comments

• bigboy9i
    bigboy9i Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Ray,

You posted:

"No, I don't think you are making it up, but I am puzzled by it,"

I think we are all puzzled by them. Are you still working for them?

Can you shed any light at all as to why they are so bad at responding to customer concerns. I don't want to take them to court but I will if they continue to ignore my correspondence.

Are they close to failing, are you busy with orders???

Any help to solve this mystery would be most welcome.

Actually, I'm going to be in London next weekend - I'm tempted to visit them and see what they have to say for themselves in person.

Dangerous?

Dave

Sorry its taken a while to get back to you (way too many long hours, really, today is Saturday and I am like a zombie).

To answer your questions.

They are not close to failing, and I guess that the fact that I am utterly knackered from deliveries answers the other part about orders.

I cant answer as to why people don't get satisfactory answers from them as I don't get involved in the 'office' side of things, I just try to keep people happy in my own small way when I do my deliveries.

I do assemble furniture on occasions, but that is my choice, and not a divine right. (yes some customers really seem to believe that they have bought me along with the furniture. I am not being spiteful in saying this, but sometimes, some customers attitudes leave me both incredulous, and fuming.)

The vast majority of customers are very nice people, and I enjoy meeting them...most of them I am able to satisfy, and are happy...but sometimes I cannot...time issues and so on.

The mould issue is one that affects all teak suppliers though it is few consignments that suffer with this issue.

Some furniture has wood dust on it from the factories in Indonesia. In the containers in which it is transported it may become damp...heavy seas, rain during loading so on and so forth.

It is the wood dust itself that goes mouldy, and not the wood itself.

With the speed which the furniture passes from container to delivery van due to delivery schedules and pressures, there is no time for this 'mould' to dry out.

You cannot simply wipe it off when it occurs, as when it is damp all you will do is smear it all over the furniture.

Left for a few days to dry, the dust simply wipes off and is gone.

As for visiting the office, I wouldn't see any problem with that...As for 'dangerous' well, not unless you bring a sandwich when you will be followed by labradors until you hand it over ;-)

Ray
  • weggers_2
    Options
    Another disgruntled customer...

It seems that I too are in the same position after ordering a table and chair set in June this year, although the products were dispatched and delivered in good time, the standard of manufacture was appalling.

Missing internal nuts, odd sized legs, spinning locator nuts and split seating pans.

Following numerous telephone conversations and emails with the Managers and failed delivery dates, I requested a refund only to find the damaged chairs have been returned and dumped on the end of the drive way.

This followed by a conversation with a man that can only be described as a petulant child.

This now resides with Wessex Teak as a formal trading standards letter has been issued with potential small claims action thereafter, in addition Watchdog has also been involved.

The disappointing thing is that were all busy trying to earn/make money however, isn't it the customer that comes first, they (Wessex Teak) have a duty to provide goods as described and fit for purpose. We as customers don't want to hear excuses all we want is the product and service as described and ordered nothing else.

Ill keep you all posted on what happens, in the mean time spread the word this can not carry on.
  • dinosek
    Options
    sorry for not being in touch for long time. Just to let you all know. I have send all the necessary letters with help of customer direct and obviously did not get any answer from Wessex teak. I have started online court claim on 18/08 so will try to keep you inform on my progress.

I am happy to help with advice to anyone who has trouble with wessex teak or prestige teak hence it is the same company.

George
  • johnslat
    Options
    bigboy9i wrote: »
    The mould issue is one that affects all teak suppliers though it is few consignments that suffer with this issue.

Some furniture has wood dust on it from the factories in Indonesia. In the containers in which it is transported it may become damp...heavy seas, rain during loading so on and so forth.

It is the wood dust itself that goes mouldy, and not the wood itself.

With the speed which the furniture passes from container to delivery van due to delivery schedules and pressures, there is no time for this 'mould' to dry out.

You cannot simply wipe it off when it occurs, as when it is damp all you will do is smear it all over the furniture.

Left for a few days to dry, the dust simply wipes off and is gone.

Mould is a indicator for poor quality and poorly made teak furniture manufactured and retailed by companies cutting corners in production to save money. Mould means moisture and means the teak has not been dried correctly before manufacturing and ultimately it will warp and crack once left outside on a cold UK day.

Oh and make sure the container door is shut before shipping :)
  • Wellensian
    Options
    What address has anyone used for issuing a Small Claims Court Summons?

Has anyone actually got their money back via the small claims court (recognising that getting a judgement is only the first step and actually getting the money is another!!).

Many thanks

Wellensian
  • sunshinetours
    Options
    I find it amazing how many complaints you get on these forums (fora?) and never get an update as to outcome of action

I have a 5 year old set of teak furntiture from this company that I am very happy with. Paid around £600 I think for 10ft table and 8 chairs. Don't remember any significant issues with furniture apart from one small splinter/crack on one chair which we agreed to sort ourselves in the end as it was kind of small!

Table has remained outside for 5 winters now and has been uncovered. I sand and use teak oil each Spring and whole set has silvered nicely and remains strong and stable. One extendable leaf on the table has one small section where there has been a small amount of cracking which comes and goes each summer/winter

Bearing in mind I don't really look after it as I should I am very happy after 5 years with how long this furniture is clearly going to last

Just my opinion on what we bought some time ago
  • Mopflops
    Options
    They stole money from us . They now that small claims courts mean nothing to them .It only worries legitimate traders.
  • Freedom_of_Speech
    Options
    I too am another unhappy Wessex Teak customer (to join the long list). I purchased a table and six chairs in May 2010 and have not ever received the full order.

I have been sworn at, lied to and ignored on many occasions.

A small claims court proceeding has been started and I await a decision. It does beg the question how companies like this can still be allowed to trade. The Internet is littered with articles documenting how bad they are (just wish i had checked beforehand).
  • Now been advised by trading standards that they have left their Hall Farm Barn address. Website is still up and running, but telephone lines are down.

Does anybody have any way of contacting Paul or Mark Allen?
  • Woodster61
    Options
    Hi I know I'm posting this to an old thread which is now merged but like many others I have a story where they have ripped me off.

I ordered June 2010 and receivied nothing - usual promises and follow up.

I eventually progressed this via Trading Standards in Essex - who were frankly useless (they were interested in telling them how to deal more fairly with customers apparently!)

I raised a case via (MCOL) claims online and progressed this only to find that they've moved from Hall Farm Barn - to an address I don't know I am pretty stuck.

I have rewritten to Trading Standards in Essex, but given their interest previously I suspect something equivalent to chocolate teapot in return.

So bottom line is I'm over £750 out of pocket and nowhere to turn to and these guys are still trading!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure