We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wessex Teak - Merged threads

Options

Comments

• onecoldcamel
    onecoldcamel Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 26 June 2010 at 5:58PM
    Options
    Hi Dinosek!

I too am in your position. I am disappointed that TS and Police have not yet made them cease trading, although TS seemed quite aware of who I was speaking about (in a professional way - they seem pro-active). I am following legal procedures also.

I find myself in the same position. Placed the order over the net on the 17th May (2010), received a very prompt response with request for payment, transferred the money - silence!

Two weeks pass: sent them an e:mail asking for status and was told by return that they don't deliver to Scotland - what are they using - a horse and cart?!

Since then I have sent repeated e:mails asking for my money back. Silence. More silence.

Having found this Forum (:eek:), seems to me we need to get organised! We need to publish the contact details for the local Trading Standards Authority where they operate. Previous posts suggest they are an effective service so we should pepper them with our grievances and see what we can do about getting our money back.

Anyone got names, addresses, phone numbers to share?

I'm up for a fight - let's be having them!!

Whar's ma kilt...
  • onecoldcamel
    Options
    Folks,

After a bit of research it appears there are several ways to go about starting a claim against Wessex Teak. The best appears to be through this Government Scheme:

Google "moneyclaim" and you'll get the link to the website - I'm not allowed to include the link which would have been easier :cool: !

Register then read the interesting section on Pre-Claim Actions. This bit tells you how to write formally to the "Defendant" and what to say in your letter, give them a reasonable period to respond in writing (14 days is plenty in most cases) and ask them to respond in writing stating their position - accept your claim and settle or dispute it.

In the case they dispute your claim, and this is only likely in cases where you say the item is "substandard" and they disagree, then you can start your claim on-line. The case will be heard in your locality and if you are successful (and if you follow the guidance on this website, how could you not succeed) you may be awarded interest of up to 10% above base rate on the value of your claim over the period of the dispute.

Costs are awarded to the successful claimant too. :j

Happy days!

Whar's ma parchment an ink!
  • bigboy9i
    bigboy9i Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 29 June 2010 at 10:43PM
    Options
    I find myself in the same position. Placed the order over the net on the 17th May (2010), received a very prompt response with request for payment, transferred the money - silence!

Two weeks pass: sent them an e:mail asking for status and was told by return that they don't deliver to Scotland - what are they using - a horse and cart?!

Since then I have sent repeated e:mails asking for my money back. Silence. More silence.

Having found this Forum (:eek:), seems to me we need to get organised! We need to publish the contact details for the local Trading Standards Authority where they operate. Previous posts suggest they are an effective service so we should pepper them with our grievances and see what we can do about getting our money back.

Anyone got names, addresses, phone numbers to share?

I'm up for a fight - let's be having them!!

Whar's ma kilt...

Erm... I don't know who told you that wessexteak doesn't deliver to Scotland, but whoever it was is wrong.

Since I actually do the Scotland deliveries, I guess you can say that I know what I am talking about.

The current situation with Scotland (and other very long distance) deliveries is that the van which is used for those deliveries has suffered lubrication failure and is currently awaiting a new engine.

That particular van is a transit 140T350 and is fast and powerful...all the things you need when you are driving more than 1300 miles in two days. (yes I do a Scotland in run two days)

So at the moment they are using the older smiley faced transits, which are it has to be said woefully inadequate for such a run, sorry.

they are not only too slow, but as I have to sleep in the van as well (yes not the most comfortable of nights) the passenger cab is too small to sleep across, and I am too old for the rigours of discomfort.

It should also be remembered, that as a free delivery service it is important over such distances to have a full van, so if there are only two deliveries waiting for Scotland then it is not really cost effective to pay driver and fuel costs until there are more deliveries scheduled, however usually Scotland is either fully booked anyway, or done together with NE England and Cumbria

Once the 140T350 has been repaired (and run in) I will be back in Scotland, Cumbria, Tyneside, Cornwall, Pembrokeshire and wherever else takes your fancy.

until then please be patient.

And as said before, I am the driver, not the company...so I do what I can.

Ray.
  • bigboy9i
    Options
    MouseyBrown...

Sorry, I'm puzzled, why on Earth would trading standards and/or the Police close a company down because of a few complaints...

Were that the case most of British industry would close down and at least 90% of the workforce would be out of a job....

I've not yet come across a company that manages to be complaint free...

We'll be back to burning witches next :-)

Ray.
  • onecoldcamel
    Options
    bigboy9i wrote: »
    Erm... I don't know who told you that wessexteak doesn't deliver to Scotland, but whoever it was is wrong.

Since I actually do the Scotland deliveries, I guess you can say that I know what I am talking about.

The current situation with Scotland (and other very long distance) deliveries is that the van which is used for those deliveries has suffered lubrication failure and is currently awaiting a new engine.

That particular van is a transit 140T350 and is fast and powerful...all the things you need when you are driving more than 1300 miles in two days. (yes I do a Scotland in run two days)

So at the moment they are using the older smiley faced transits, which are it has to be said woefully inadequate for such a run, sorry.

they are not only too slow, but as I have to sleep in the van as well (yes not the most comfortable of nights) the passenger cab is too small to sleep across, and I am too old for the rigours of discomfort.

It should also be remembered, that as a free delivery service it is important over such distances to have a full van, so if there are only two deliveries waiting for Scotland then it is not really cost effective to pay driver and fuel costs until there are more deliveries scheduled, however usually Scotland is either fully booked anyway, or done together with NE England and Cumbria

Once the 140T350 has been repaired (and run in) I will be back in Scotland, Cumbria, Tyneside, Cornwall, Pembrokeshire and wherever else takes your fancy.

until then please be patient.

And as said before, I am the driver, not the company...so I do what I can.

Ray.

Ray - the Company wrote me an e:mail on the 7th June....

"Will refund as there is no way we can deliver to Aberdeen
    Thanjks
    mark"

[Their typos, not mine.]

Not the most lucid note, but the meaning was clear - according to "Sales at Wessex Teak" they DON'T deliver to Aberdeen - not "our van isn't working,can you wait until it's fixed", not "we only deliver to Scotland when Ray's available"...they say "there is no way we can deliver."

You thought I was making this up?

Now the first half of the sentence is the bit that actually troubles me - "Will refund... "

It is now July and I have heard nothing since and, frankly, on the basis of the other 140 odd contributors to this Forum, I'm not expecting to hear anything.

So, I will write a registered letter to the Company this week stating the basis for my claim and I'll give them 14 days to refund my money. After that I'll file a claim with the Small Claims Court.

Simples.

Dave
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Options
    So, I will write a registered letter to the Company this week stating the basis for my claim and I'll give them 14 days to refund my money.

28 days is the norm in England.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • onecoldcamel
    Options
    28 days is the norm in England.

They've had more than 28 days already...I'll give them an additional 14, which I think is generous since they promised a refund on the 7th June.

Thanks for the tip, though, I'll keep you posted on progress.

Dave
  • bigboy9i
    Options
    Ray - the Company wrote me an e:mail on the 7th June....

"Will refund as there is no way we can deliver to Aberdeen
    Thanjks
    mark"

[Their typos, not mine.]

Not the most lucid note, but the meaning was clear - according to "Sales at Wessex Teak" they DON'T deliver to Aberdeen - not "our van isn't working,can you wait until it's fixed", not "we only deliver to Scotland when Ray's available"...they say "there is no way we can deliver."

You thought I was making this up?

Now the first half of the sentence is the bit that actually troubles me - "Will refund... "

It is now July and I have heard nothing since and, frankly, on the basis of the other 140 odd contributors to this Forum, I'm not expecting to hear anything.

So, I will write a registered letter to the Company this week stating the basis for my claim and I'll give them 14 days to refund my money. After that I'll file a claim with the Small Claims Court.

Simples.

Dave

No, I don't think you are making it up, but I am puzzled by it, sorry.

Ray.
  • onecoldcamel
    Options
    Ray,

You posted:

"No, I don't think you are making it up, but I am puzzled by it,"

I think we are all puzzled by them. Are you still working for them?

Can you shed any light at all as to why they are so bad at responding to customer concerns. I don't want to take them to court but I will if they continue to ignore my correspondence.

Are they close to failing, are you busy with orders???

Any help to solve this mystery would be most welcome.

Actually, I'm going to be in London next weekend - I'm tempted to visit them and see what they have to say for themselves in person.

Dangerous?

Dave
  • Willow22_2
    Willow22_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 26 July 2010 at 8:29PM
    Options
    We too find ourselves in the same position as countless others with regard to unsatisfactory furniture being delivered and no refund when promised. We have waited in for collection of our furniture and refund in the form of a cheque but no one turned up! We have been hung up on when phoning the main office, put on hold - spoken to rudely! We have now been promised another collection date after we have chased them! Lets see shall we! As advised our letter is in the post! What a pity we have to waste time and energy on this!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure