Anyone Into Cross Stitching?

Options

Comments

• 98jdougl
    98jdougl Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    Options
    Have just managed to read through all the posts and what a wonderfully talented bunch you all are!
    Am looking for some Beatrix Potter patterns and some hummel patterns (preferably free ones lol)
    Aside from ebay (they have hummel ones at £2 inc delivery) where should I be trying?
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Soubrette wrote: »
    I read this tip of yours a while ago and just got round to ordering some pocket files like those above.

I cannot say how much stress and irritation you have saved me :)

Sou

Hi there, may I ask where you ordered your files from? Also do you have separate files for Anchor/ DMC etc? I agree its a brilliant idea! Clever Mrs M!

Also a general question about threads - my Mum gave me a huge bag of assorted thread, but the make is not one of the main ones. I think she got them at a market! How do I go about matching them to Anchor/DMC? Is there a way? Questions, questions!

98jdougal - welcome! hope you enjoy the chat on here - lots of great tips!
    Have a happy day all!

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Jintyb

The files are just the big lever ones from any stationery store , the wallets that go inside are actually from a collectors shop -they are for cards/coins really ;) -but I know folks have got them on-line too
    I had a set of DMC number stickers -from when my mum tried the stitch bow system -which she hated and went to the file system :p ...it means they are all in numerical order -to start with it was a pain putting all the threads away, but now as soon as I have finished a design its a 5min job to add to them...
    I don't do anchor designs -I don't like their threads -I find they seem to tangle easier -but toward the back I do keep some of the sheets of pockets for threads from dimension gold kits and spares of the DMC ones -I have soooooo many threads now so in theory it should save me loads -but I still manage to get charts that require loads more threads :rotfl:...

Those threads that aren't main brands can be matched up by getting a shade card -I got mum one once as part of her xmas pressy -but I think they are about £10-£15 :rolleyes:

ooooooh but I have just googled this :T
    http://yarntree.com/075dmc.htm

Click on the page 1 etc and it will show the colours -so I guess you could hold your threads against the screen to match to the nearest -might drive you loopy but will save £15 :j:rotfl:
    and at the bottom there is a section for swapping DMC to anchor and vice versa..
    Hope that rambling makes sense :rotfl:
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks MrsM, I have saved that site to my favourites. I have lots of thread, but hardly any is DMC or Anchor, and I spend ages trying to work out what colour I want.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • jintyb
    Options
    Mrs M, you're a star! That's brilliant! - thanks for replying!

• 98jdougl
    Options
    Must be fate, the day after I decide to get properly into cross stitching and I get a cross stitch book from freecycle :)
    How is everyone getting on with their various projects today?
  • jintyb
    Options
    98jdougl wrote: »
    Must be fate, the day after I decide to get properly into cross stitching and I get a cross stitch book from freecycle :)
    How is everyone getting on with their various projects today?

Hi there, just popped on this morning, have done no stitiching the last couple of days as have been working and getting ready for hols! Off to the West Coast of Scotland for a week of relaxation! Planning to chill out with sewing, reading and no phones/computers/work!!! Bliss!!
    Im hoping to finish the project Im on, and get started on something new - I will try to post my finished article soon!
    That's great getting your book for free - it's obviously meant for you!
    Have a happy day everyone x

• 98jdougl
    Options
    Sounds like youa re looking forward to your break Jinty (where are you goin exactly?)
    Good luck with your project while you are there!

I'm going to start on a Peter Rabbit one once I have finished decorating my room. Have got a shabby-chic theme and I have bought some lovely beatrix potter bottons which I am planning on putting into a deep frame and have the cross-stitch in the centre if that makes sense. So fingers crossed it goes to plan anyway
  • jintyb
    Options
    98jdougl wrote: »
    Sounds like youa re looking forward to your break Jinty (where are you goin exactly?)
    Good luck with your project while you are there!

I'm going to start on a Peter Rabbit one once I have finished decorating my room. Have got a shabby-chic theme and I have bought some lovely beatrix potter bottons which I am planning on putting into a deep frame and have the cross-stitch in the centre if that makes sense. So fingers crossed it goes to plan anyway

That sounds a great idea, those deep frames are good for displaying your creative talents!
    We are going to Benderloch, nr Oban in Argyll. Lovely!

• poppett
    poppett Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I thought I'd share with you the project I have almost finished. It is for my 12 year old daughter who loves Tigers.

I have been cross stitching for years now (some of you may remember the huge Horse Racing project I did before Christmas!). After I finish the Tiger I want to do a small wedding card and then start a New Arrival one.

PICT0255.jpg
    £2 savers club. No.90. Aim £500.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family