Anyone Into Cross Stitching?

Options

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi steph

I always use a hoop or frame -its much easier and quicker..oh and the stitches seem neater too..
    what sort of kits are they?
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Mrsmcawber, It is mainly winnie the pooh, tatty ted, newtons law. I bought about 20 different kits lol a bit over board I know spent about £40 in total including postage so not too bad :)

I'm dead excited.

I have 2 hoops already with the other cross stitching I've done before.

Do you draw the picture onto the aida before you start or do you do it as you go along?

Steph xx
  • Stephb1986_2
    Options
    Now heres a question, I dug out an old kit last night that I hadn't finished. How do I stop the thread knotting up with other threads and it's self? That drives me mad!

Steph xx
  • little_miss_moneysaver_3
    Options
    I also use a hoop, find it easier. Sounds like you got a good bargain! Better not start looking might be tempted, got enough here to be getting on with!
    :j Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012 :j
    :jSecond menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    :j
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all :D

Steph....do you have all the threads on one of those card thread sorters you get in kits? I can't use them as I get in a right tangle...
    I put each one of my threads in a bank bag with the number and symbol on like this :-

threadfl1.th.jpg
    It stops them from tangling and keeps them clean ;) plus you can stand them up in something like an old icecream tub -then you can just drop your scissors etc in and stick the lid on when you have to stop.. Im having to use a box from a pair of boots at the moment as there are a lot of colours but it means I can keep everything together:D
    If your threads are tangling when you sew I find that every so often I will hold the hoop up and let go of the needle so it dangles and it will spin and unwind its self so you get less knots
    hope that makes some kind of sense :p

ooohhh and this is how I store all my spare threads..makes it so easy to see what you have when it comes to doing another pattern
    folderaq8.th.jpg
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stephb1986 wrote: »

Do you draw the picture onto the aida before you start or do you do it as you go along?

I have never drawn on the material. What you normally do is gently/softly fold the material in half then half again to find the centre. The centre is marked on the paper chart and you start from there. Usually though I don't start from centre so just count the stitches across to the side (or where ever I want to start from) so the finished piece ends up where it should.

For me it depends on the size of the piece whether I use a hoop or just hold the material. For big pieces I use a hoop (have a frame but not used it yet) but small pieces I just hold them in my hand.
  • 98jdougl
    98jdougl Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    Only starting this thread but will hopefully reach the end soon enough.
    Did some cross-stitching when I was at school (am still young though so not too long ago lol) and have been wanting to start it up again- am getting back into crafting in a huge way because I love it so much!
    Just really saying hi just now, will wait and ask any questions as they arise and after checking they havn't already been answered.
    x
  • Stephb1986_2
    Options
    Mrsmcawber thats a brilliant idea! I will have to route for some bank bags :)

You would think that there would be some sort of weight to weigh it down so it wouldn't knot when pulling it through.

Loads of my cross stitching kits turned up over the weekend only a few more to go :)

Steph xx
  • chillin_nutta
    chillin_nutta Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    98jdougl wrote: »
    Hi,
    Only starting this thread but will hopefully reach the end soon enough.
    Did some cross-stitching when I was at school (am still young though so not too long ago lol) and have been wanting to start it up again- am getting back into crafting in a huge way because I love it so much!
    Just really saying hi just now, will wait and ask any questions as they arise and after checking they havn't already been answered.
    x

Welcome jdougl you'll love it here :beer:
    2008 Wins: 2 x VIP tickets to Ministry Of Sound, Umbrella, Tea Towel, £50 Tesco Gift Card, Amplifier (worth over £1,100 alone).

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You" (Dr Seuss)
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Morning all :D

ooohhh and this is how I store all my spare threads..makes it so easy to see what you have when it comes to doing another pattern
    folderaq8.th.jpg

I read this tip of yours a while ago and just got round to ordering some pocket files like those above.

I cannot say how much stress and irritation you have saved me :)

Sou
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport