New Post Advanced Search

Anyone Into Cross Stitching?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Crafting
972 replies 74K views
rainmacrainmac Forumite
7.1K posts
Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Crafting
Hi, I've been a stitcher now for about 7/8 years and love it. I tend to stitch small designs as I can be a bit impatient with larger pieces as they can take so long to complete. I mainly stitch cards and smallish pictures to frame. Recently done a few coasters and really pleased with how they have turned out.

My latest is a card for my friend's wedding (a Lizzie Kate design)...

th_IMGP2015.jpg

I wondered if anyone has any money saving hints and tips and/or would like to share pics of their stitched projects. I am really into making my own presents and would love some cross stitch present ideas - I've done cards, coasters, framed pictures, fabric ornaments for xmas tree, baby toys with aida pieces attached. Can't think of anything else.

I have 2 small boys and time to stitch is really restricted to evenings when they are tucked up in bed. I subscribe to Cross Stitcher and World of Cross Stitching magazines (got both as birthday/xmas pressies last year). I buy lots of my threads (DMC and Anchor) on ebay as I've found this to be much cheaper than to buy from a shop. I also buy charts via ebay - I really like some American designers (e.g. Lizzie Kate, Bent Creek, Heart in Hand, The Trilogy...) and found the cheapest way to get such charts is via US ebay sellers.

Think that's enough for now :rotfl:

Look forward to hearing from all fellow stitchers :D

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
:wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
«13456798

Replies

  • bunbun2bunbun2 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    rainmac wrote: »
    Hi, I've been a stitcher now for about 7/8 years and love it. I tend to stitch small designs as I can be a bit impatient with larger pieces as they can take so long to complete. I mainly stitch cards and smallish pictures to frame. Recently done a few coasters and really pleased with how they have turned out.

    My latest is a card for my friend's wedding (a Lizzie Kate design)...

    th_IMGP2015.jpg

    I wondered if anyone has any money saving hints and tips and/or would like to share pics of their stitched projects. I am really into making my own presents and would love some cross stitch present ideas - I've done cards, coasters, framed pictures, fabric ornaments for xmas tree, baby toys with aida pieces attached. Can't think of anything else.

    I have 2 small boys and time to stitch is really restricted to evenings when they are tucked up in bed. I subscribe to Cross Stitcher and World of Cross Stitching magazines (got both as birthday/xmas pressies last year). I buy lots of my threads (DMC and Anchor) on ebay as I've found this to be much cheaper than to buy from a shop. I also buy charts via ebay - I really like some American designers (e.g. Lizzie Kate, Bent Creek, Heart in Hand, The Trilogy...) and found the cheapest way to get such charts is via US ebay sellers.

    Think that's enough for now :rotfl:

    Look forward to hearing from all fellow stitchers :D


    I have done quite alot of cross stitching over the years. I did two BIG pictures of my parents and in laws' dogs! They took me about 4 years to complete (and two pregnancies:rotfl: ) I enjoy doing cards cos as you said they are fairly quick to do. I am in the process of doing a cross stitch of one of my parents wedding photos for their 40th anniversary. Think I started it a bit late cos that was a year or two ago. For some reason I can't get into it and haven't done any for ages. I must start it up again - maybe you have inspired me to to start today:rotfl:

    I love your card it is really pretty.
    saving for ds2's summer international scout camp - £200
    £60 deposit paid :j £100 paid:j £40 paid:j
  • rainmacrainmac Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Ohh I hope I have bunbun2! I haven't done any photo stitching but do quite fancy giving it a go, how do you get a photo converted to a chart?
    :wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
  • bunbun2bunbun2 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    rainmac wrote: »
    Ohh I hope I have bunbun2! I haven't done any photo stitching but do quite fancy giving it a go, how do you get a photo converted to a chart?

    I bought a pc cd rom cross stitcher card and pattern creator ages ago and used that.
    saving for ds2's summer international scout camp - £200
    £60 deposit paid :j £100 paid:j £40 paid:j
  • rainmacrainmac Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Some cards...

    th_IMGP1530.jpg th_IMGP1617.jpg th_IMGP1843.jpg
    :wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
  • rainmacrainmac Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    bunbun2 wrote: »
    I bought a pc cd rom cross stitcher card and pattern creator ages ago and used that.

    Thanks, do you print the chart yourself?
    :wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
  • MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Hi there

    Im an addict :p ..... here are a couple of pics -not sure how clear they are but i will try and get some better ones later if you click on them they should get bigger... the celtic lady is one of a set i have nearly finished the 3rd one out of 6 :D .... they are lovely to do :j
    The tigers i did for hubby before we were married... the swan by the way was actually done by hubby :T ....
    and the picture of the edwardian lady is one im now doing for my mum..for xmas..if i get my bum into gear :rotfl:

    I have done a photo stitch before..one of our wedding photos and even though they are a lot of work..1 stitch of this and 1 stitch of that everywhere :eek: they really are lovely when done...

    pict0027hm6.th.jpg
    pict0028ch0.th.jpg

    gardenfa6.th.jpg
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • bunbun2bunbun2 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    rainmac those cards are lovely. I haven't made any cards for a while. with the cd rom you scan the picture in and it creates the chart, symbols and colours you need. it looks good when finished but is hard work:D

    mrsmcawber your edwardian lady picture is lovely your mum will love it. do you find they always take much longer than you think to make?
    saving for ds2's summer international scout camp - £200
    £60 deposit paid :j £100 paid:j £40 paid:j
  • rainmacrainmac Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Thanks bunbun2 :D

    Wow, mrsmcawber, you are a hardcore stitcher aren't you :T . You stitch the kind of designs I avoid because I don't think I'd have the staying power to get it finished. I love your ladies, really beautiful. Do you always stitch large projects?
    :wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
  • MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Hi there

    I do seem to fall for the big designs... but i actually find it more fiddly to do smaller projects :confused: ...
    The biggest i have done so far is a beautiful dragon in shades of blue for my niece.. it was a killer actually handing it over :rotfl: ...he was about 20" by 15"

    but im doing this one for hubby and its about 26"x15"... i flit between that and the other one so i don't get bored of grey ;)

    hawkop2.th.jpg

    and this little beauty below is one i have promised to do myself.. I love her.. she is 29"X17" and has 80 colours in :eek: ..but it will be a labour of love as im not parting with her :D

    goldenearthwu7.th.jpg


    I generally buy patterns as kits often have aida in and i find that bad to work on so i replace it with evenweave/linen...and i find the kits skimp on the fabric... I like loads as i frame my own

    When you get kits i always found that those cardboard thread holders end up in a right tangle.. so i get bank bags and write the thread number and symbol on them and keep each thread in its own bag... it keeps them clean an if you stand them up in an old ice cream tub..you can quickly shove the lid back on when you have done...great for those that have children running round

    threadfl1.th.jpg

    and to keep all my threads safe once i have done with them i do this:-

    folderaq8.th.jpg

    is just a normal big file and the plastics are sold in collectors stores etc -they are for keeping cards, coins in.. I used a set of numbers that came with some "stitch bows" my mum had so that all the numbers are listed and in order... sounds sad :o but it means when i get a new chart i can put my hand straight on what threads i have and what i need..and its much cheaper than the proper storage sets you can buy ;) ...
    hope that rambling made sense :rotfl:

    Rainmac... those celtic ladies grow really quickly... there is suposed to be a border with autumn, spring, summer, winter on each one..but they looked to cluttered for me..and this way no-one else has the same design ;)

    can't wait to see what everyone else is doing... i just love them
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • poppettpoppett Forumite
    893 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I am a cross stitch addict. I have done hundreds of designs in the past, my biggest to date was a Millennium one I did for my kids school. The PTA asked me to do it and then they had it framed and it still hangs in the reception area.

    I am currently working on a huge project for my father-in-laws birthday. It is a horse racing scene, 141 colours and it is 21w x 10.5h. Approx 43,000 stitches going into it! It's very time consuming as it is one stitch here and there then change colours! But I'm getting there. I have been taking progress photos at weekly intervals and will try and post on here later.

    At the moment I am using a ring with it but I'm on the lookout for a frame instead. I had one years ago when I did the Millennium one, but don't know what happened to it.

    Your projects look lovely btw.
    £2 savers club. No.90. Aim £500.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support