Anyone Into Cross Stitching?

Options

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there Shelly

I had that pattern booklet somewhere ..i don't think i got rid of it when i had a clear out:rolleyes: its stunning isn't it :D
    Working on dark colours has its plus points... les chance of grubby finger marks on it for a start :rotfl:
    I actually like working on dark fabric..i find that if im working on pale colours i put a dark cloth across my knee so the holes show up better and if you are working on dark colours put a bright tea towel or something across your knee and its much easier to seee the holes ;)
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Ruth_honey
    Ruth_honey Posts: 2,831 Forumite
    Options
    If you're stitching in good light it's not too bad. I've worked on dark colours a lot and the effect is lovely. I know the kit you're talking about and it's just stunning! If it's a good price, then go for it! If you have the space, Ikea sell a floor lamp called Final (£8), which has a reading lamp with adjustable arm. If you put daylight bulb in this and stitch with the light shining onto your work, it'll be much easier.
    Cross Stitch Cafe Monthly Challenge Member #27
    12/12/12 challenge-[STRIKE]Season's Greeting Newton's Law[/STRIKE] Christmas polar bear-finished on time! :)
    Thanks to all the girls in the Cross Stitch Cafe! You're all fantastic! :A
  • rainmac
    rainmac Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi there Shelly

I had that pattern booklet somewhere ..i don't think i got rid of it when i had a clear out:rolleyes: its stunning isn't it :D
    Working on dark colours has its plus points... les chance of grubby finger marks on it for a start :rotfl:
    I actually like working on dark fabric..i find that if im working on pale colours i put a dark cloth across my knee so the holes show up better and if you are working on dark colours put a bright tea towel or something across your knee and its much easier to seee the holes ;)

Using a teatowel, I would never have thought of that, what a brilliant idea!!! :T I have shyed away from dark fabric in the past as I think I would struggle but your advice would make it much easier, thanks! :D
    :wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
  • razra
    razra Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Im a cross stitch addict too :D

I tend to find when stitching on the dark fabric that if you have a lighter colour underneath as Mrs Mc says that works, also once you get the first few stitches in it then makes it so much easier as you have a reference if you see what I mean.
    I love stitching on darker fabbys as the finished result is so much more striking.

Id say if the kit is a bargain then go for it:D

Ive just finished the last wedding sampler I had to do
    heres a pic
    th_DSC03197-1.jpg
    th_DSC03246.jpg

now Im working on this one
    LL-11.jpg

yes I know its only June:rotfl:
    June Grocery Challenge 270.80/250July Grocery Challenge 0/300
  • razra
    razra Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    forgot to say if you are looking for bargain kits then have a look here

https://secure.theblack-sheep.co.uk/acatalog/Bargain.html

I got a couple of felicity wishes kits for my niece for £2.99 each instead of £14 + but theres plenty of variety if you can bear to go through all the bargain links and scroll through all the kits on the pages

LOL be warned I am in no way/ or to be held responsible for making you buy cross stitch stash :)
    June Grocery Challenge 270.80/250July Grocery Challenge 0/300
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

Loving santa :T ..I have 2 christmasy kits to do... lets just say they won't be ready for this one :p .... the top 2 pics are ones hubby got me for anniversaries instead of a bouquet of real flowers as they last longer:D

kitsdj0.th.jpg
    right im back off to get on with my mums xmas pressy.... lots to do :eek: ...
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • rainmac
    Options
    Love the floral kits MrsMc, they look so lifelike!!! :D Brill pressies, wish my OH takes my hints and follows your OH example! I won't hold my breath...:rotfl:
  • rainmac
    Options
    Wow razra! Love your Father Christmas!!! Is he for a present or for you to keep? I promised myself I would stitch some Xmas designs during the year to frame/make into decorations for our own house but haven't got started yet, really should...where does time go...?
  • rainmac
    Options
    shelly wrote: »
    I had a look on e-bay today to see if there were any bargain kits to be had. Sadly not but I did come across a kit I would love to have a crack at. Its got the heads of a Tiger, Lion, Leopard and Cheetah in a row but its on black aida. Now I love big cats, especially Tigers but the black aida worries me a bit. I assume its harder to sew onto black material, am I right? I am tempted to buy the kit but obviously don't want to waste my money.

Reading that back, a though occured to me. I guess I could just go buy a small piece of black aida and just do a few stitches on it to see what I think :confused:

Your thoughts ladies would still be appreciated though.

Sounda fab Shelly, a kit to really get your teeth into! :D I'd buy it after looking everywhere for best price. If you get started now, will have it up on the wall by Christmas! :T
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ruth_honey wrote: »
    If you're stitching in good light it's not too bad. I've worked on dark colours a lot and the effect is lovely. I know the kit you're talking about and it's just stunning! If it's a good price, then go for it! If you have the space, Ikea sell a floor lamp called Final (£8), which has a reading lamp with adjustable arm. If you put daylight bulb in this and stitch with the light shining onto your work, it'll be much easier.

I have found this week that I have been really lucky with the placement of the spotlights in this house. In our old house the spotlight in the ceiling above me was in such a place that as I stitched in the evening I cast a shadow over my work so I couldn't do it comfortably. The one above where I sit in the new place is either just in the right place or has a different bulb in it. I can now stitch well into the evening with no worries. I do of course prefer proper daylight but I don't always want to put my stuff away once the sun has gone down :D
    I had looked into getting a daylight bulb before we moved but glad I don't need it now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure