Anyone Into Cross Stitching?

Options

Comments

• caroline78
    caroline78 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Options
    Shelly,
    I have a small piece of Black aida that you can have it you want.
    Also I have some Maderia threads, so let me know which one it was you were looking for and I will see if I have it.
    Caroline xx
    ;)I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY;)
  • caroline78
    caroline78 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Options
    Everyone should check out

cyberstitchers.com

as well, there are thousands of free patterns there
    ;)I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY;)
  • Ruth_honey
    Ruth_honey Posts: 2,831 Forumite
    Options
    shelly wrote: »
    I have found this week that I have been really lucky with the placement of the spotlights in this house. In our old house the spotlight in the ceiling above me was in such a place that as I stitched in the evening I cast a shadow over my work so I couldn't do it comfortably. The one above where I sit in the new place is either just in the right place or has a different bulb in it. I can now stitch well into the evening with no worries. I do of course prefer proper daylight but I don't always want to put my stuff away once the sun has gone down :D
    I had looked into getting a daylight bulb before we moved but glad I don't need it now.

They really are worth buying. I was suprised at how much difference it makes. Keep an eye out for when they're reduced. They last ages too. Mines been in the lamp years now, where the normal bulbs blow every 6 months or so.
    Cross Stitch Cafe Monthly Challenge Member #27
    12/12/12 challenge-[STRIKE]Season's Greeting Newton's Law[/STRIKE] Christmas polar bear-finished on time! :)
    Thanks to all the girls in the Cross Stitch Cafe! You're all fantastic! :A
  • razra
    razra Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    rainmac wrote: »
    Wow razra! Love your Father Christmas!!! Is he for a present or for you to keep? I promised myself I would stitch some Xmas designs during the year to frame/make into decorations for our own house but haven't got started yet, really should...where does time go...?

I haven't decided yet, if I still like him when hes finished then I'll keep him, if not my mom will get a huge santa xmas pressie:rotfl:I have managed to finish his body today so Ive got all the white and the wreath left. Quite impressed at how quickly he is stitching up. Ive not stitched a lavender and lace design before but have to say I think I quite like them next to no backstitch:j (unlike the tatty teds:rolleyes:)

Ive tried repeatedly over the last few years to start my xmas stitching early and never quite managed it so this year I am determined even if I only get this pic finished:D (ps I have tons of xmas kits for some reason I always buy this sort:confused:)

MrsMc I love your santa one:D and your hubby is sooo sweet what a fab thought for longer lasting bouquets
    June Grocery Challenge 270.80/250July Grocery Challenge 0/300
  • Nicolefury
    Nicolefury Posts: 602 Forumite
    Options
    Just ordered a mid sized Disney piece d186.jpg

and a small teddy bears one (bookmark). If I manage to get those done ok, I might be brave and attempt a bigger piece which I can hopefully give away for christmas.
    Dooyoo £10.40/40, TopCashBack £17.19/30, Valued Opinions 50p/£10, Swagbucks 0/£20, Ebay £15/£25
  • melissa75_2
    melissa75_2 Posts: 2,801 Forumite
    Options
    I wondered if anyone had any tips for framing the finished pictures. Do you do your own framing and how easy is it to do? I'm thinking of doing a few picures for xmas presents.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi melissa

i frame my own (it saves a fortune)... i would suggest buying a piece of fabric that is at least 6" bigger than the design you are doing -length and width..that gives you more fabric to pull on (it also means if you sew a bit off centre you can get away with it)...also it means you have more choice for frames as you can get something a bit bigger and get a cardboard mount cut... it makes even the cheaper kits/patterns look a lot more expensive too ;)
    Also if you have a fabric shop near buy..get some 1oz wadding...then put a piece betweet the fabric and the back of the frame..not only does it stop the holes showing if you use aida but gives it a slightly raised/padded effect :D
    I don't use lacing..it can be a devil to get the fabric even...i :-
    • place the frame face down -with the back off
    • put the mount in -if using
    • place the x stitch on face down and move to the position you want
    • place a single layer of wadding on
    • then the back board and hold in place whilst you turn over to see if it is straight and crease free
    • then press down the other metal bits on the back of the frame
    • masking tape over the leftove r fabric to secure to the backboard.... I don't cut it off as then if the frame ever breaks its easier to replace ;)
    I always wash n press mine too....
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • melissa75_2
    melissa75_2 Posts: 2,801 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks so much for that MrsMcawber - really helpful. I have made loads of kits before but only ever framed a couple and I found it really difficult. I think it was because I was trying to lace it together and that put me off - your way sounds so much easier! I had never thought of using the padding either - TOP TIP!!!!
  • rainmac
    rainmac Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    shelly wrote: »
    I had a look on e-bay today to see if there were any bargain kits to be had. Sadly not but I did come across a kit I would love to have a crack at. Its got the heads of a Tiger, Lion, Leopard and Cheetah in a row but its on black aida. Now I love big cats, especially Tigers but the black aida worries me a bit. I assume its harder to sew onto black material, am I right? I am tempted to buy the kit but obviously don't want to waste my money.

Reading that back, a though occured to me. I guess I could just go buy a small piece of black aida and just do a few stitches on it to see what I think :confused:

Your thoughts ladies would still be appreciated though.

Hi Shelly, saw this on ebay today, looks like what you've seen but I wondered if you wanted to watch it and see if the price is better?
    :wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rainmac wrote: »
    Hi Shelly, saw this on ebay today, looks like what you've seen but I wondered if you wanted to watch it and see if the price is better?

Yes, thats the exact one I am interested in! Its gorgeous isn't it.
    I don't like the look of the seller though. Didn't like her terms about not taking responsibility for items getting lost, even though I know that her terms mean nothing and that if it got lost I could file an item not received dispute and paypal will refund me.
    Had a word with hubby though (seeing as its his e-bay account I use :D ) and he isn't worried, he said go for it.

I do have a couple of others in the watch list too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure