PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Big Badger House (aka Noisy Lodger) HE'S GONE!

Options

Comments

• Snooze
    Snooze Posts: 2,041 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :eek:

Your problems are only just beginning ! I fear there will be new posts from you asking for advice in the very near future :p .

Rob
  • hostman
    hostman Posts: 377 Forumite
    Options
    Its quite remarkable how similar your experiences are to mine. The annoying tenant I shared a house with was "told off", disappeared for a few days, resurfaced and was even worst.
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yay :j

Neighbour just came round to say thank you for the wine and we had a good old natter. I also bumped into the "Street Gossip" early today and, although we didn't mention lodgers, I did talk about my volunteer work and a MVC (Male Voice Choir) concert I'm organising at a local church, so I think I'm back "in" :p .

Lodger 1 has definitely been in the last couple of nights, but haven't heard a peep out of him... Lodger 2 is just getting changed for our "Chinese and Movie night".

All's good again in Badger Land! :D
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • barnaby-bear
    barnaby-bear Posts: 4,142 Forumite
    Options
    Yay :j

Neighbour just came round to say thank you for the wine and we had a good old natter. I also bumped into the "Street Gossip" early today and, although we didn't mention lodgers, I did talk about my volunteer work and a MVC (Male Voice Choir) concert I'm organising at a local church, so I think I'm back "in" :p .

Lodger 1 has definitely been in the last couple of nights, but haven't heard a peep out of him... Lodger 2 is just getting changed for our "Chinese and Movie night".

All's good again in Badger Land! :D

How about a housewarming for the neighbours and the lodgers ;) ? Waking next door up after hobnobing with them, granny and kiddies would require a special character....
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, the time has come. No loud music when I've been home, but:

-:( He paid half his rent on time this month and promised to bank transfer the rest. 16 days later I'm still waiting (I wrote a 10-day eviction clause into the contract so this is good enough on its own).

-:( He's definitely been smoking in his room. I suspected so before, but my sense of smell isn't brilliant. Apparently he told Lodger2 that "it's only in my room and she'll never find out", but you can smell it when you walk past to get to the spare room. It's written into the contract that there's no smoking in the house.

-:( Despite previous words and promises, he's still text-messaging overnight with his phone on full volume. Poor Lodger2 gets woken up most nights at 3-4am by the beeping, even though Lodger1 did promise to put the phone on silent overnight.

-:( I think he may be going through some personal issues, which I won't go into on a public forum. But he's now completely withdrawn (we haven't had a friendly natter in weeks) and although it's none of my business I'm a bit worried about the way his personal life is going right now... Yes, I realise eviction isn't usually the best way to help this!

Anyway, I was talking to Lodger2 over the Monopoly board last night and, not only would he be quite relieved to see Lodger1 go, but his best mate (who I've hung out with a few times and really get on well with) is looking for a place to live and would move in like a shot!

So - approaches? I'm thinking a sit-down chat with Lodger1 with a list of the issues we've been having. Knowing his personality, I think he'll be really defensive about it and very angry about being "told what to do", and he'll decide he can't live here any more. Hopefully, he'll either find his own place or a place "trashy" enough to put up with him!

Slightly awkward element - Lodger2 and I were openly discussing it in his room, unaware that Lodger1 was actually home in his room next door. I'm pretty sure he didn't hear anything, but Lodger2 is convinced he did :eek:
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Slightly awkward element - Lodger2 and I were openly discussing it in his room, unaware that Lodger1 was actually home in his room next door. I'm pretty sure he didn't hear anything, but Lodger2 is convinced he did :eek:
    Cue for a psycho lodger film ....

I can't offer any suggestions or help. Just a "good luck"

I do hate it when people are 4rses and need telling.

:)
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Options
    >Just a "good luck"<

LOL. Looks like we'll hear how this saga ended on 'Crimewatch'...
  • Catblue
    Catblue Posts: 872 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, sit down with him - the sooner the better. It is a case of making life better for the majority (you, lodger 2, the neighbours), so he'll have to go.

I wouldn't go through a long list of issues with him, personally. If he starts pleading with you, then you are in a difficult position. You've tried the nice approach with him before and it didn't work. You've made up your mind, so short and sweet is the way to go.

Something like:

"Living in a shared house means that consideration for others is absolutely key.

Not paying rent, smoking, waking people up in the middle of the night all indicate a lack of consideration for others which is completely unacceptable in this house.

As you know, the notice period is 10 days, so you and your stuff will need to be out by xxx date. "

Leave it at that.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    I'd got for the simple approach.

Best of luck finding a new lodger. I wouldn't rush into having best mates though of the other one. Almost certainly a recipe for disaster imo.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yep, I'd stick with an 'It isn't working out, I'm giving you notice'. Its not something to enter into debate about and he sounds inconsiderate enough to reuse to take blame an blame it on you being a stick in the mud anyway.

Good luck, and, just in case it would be worth warning lodger 2 whe you plan to do it. The guy sounds inconsiderate enough to have an unpleasant temper too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure