PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Big Badger House (aka Noisy Lodger) HE'S GONE!

Options

Comments

• neverdespairgirl
    neverdespairgirl Posts: 16,501 Forumite
    Options
    clobber wrote: »
    Pastures I am SHOCKED.

As me mam says, they're all the same lying down.

All cats are grey in the dark?

Actually, that's not true. My cat is pure white, and appears to glow in the starlight.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Options
    Aww. Bless. Sounds like lodger 2's due a promotion!

Chinese and party nights, monopoly, same music. The writing's on the wall..
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Options
    Get that camera phone ready again! ;)
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You lot are so funny! :rotfl:

I'm feeling quite cool and confident about this now, anyway - as soon as Lodger1's girlfriend has gone home, I'll sit him down and give him notice. Smoking will be the main reason - "we've had our troubles since you've been here and I know you've been smoking in your room which isn't acceptable. I think you like to live by your own rules, which is fine, but perhaps you'd be better suited to living in your own place again."

Let the new era of beautiful lodgers commence! :rotfl:
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You lot are so funny!

I'm feeling quite cool and confident about this now, anyway - as soon as Lodger1's girlfriend has gone home, I'll sit him down and give him notice. Smoking will be the main reason - "we've had our troubles since you've been here and I know you've been smoking in your room which isn't acceptable. I think you like to live by your own rules, which is fine, but perhaps you'd be better suited to living in your own place again."

Let the new era of beautiful lodgers commence!
    :)
    More delay tactics... he's already gained a further 2 days since your decision because you put it off until his gf left... he'll be home today to tell you his Granny's ill and you won't mention it again :)

You're soft you are.
  • pickles110564
    pickles110564 Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Options
    Hmmm... never heard of Noel Fielding (generation thing). Just googled it and not quite my thing, but maybe that's partly that people look rubbish in photos and partly different people's perception of who looks like who. So it could be doable.

Tall, dark handsome sounds a good bet.

Pimping out hot male lodgers could bring you in a nice sideline in earnings. All cash deals too, so tax free.

PN you could have me for nought
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    PN you could have me for nought
    But you're second hand ... and clearly easy.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Badger Badger Badger

Just found this and thought it relevant.
    http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/housing/pdf/151564.pdf

See section 5.2

It looks like (on first reading, but I didn't scrutinise it), you have to give him a month's notice, based on the fact he pays monthly rent, taking effect from the next rent date.

Read and see what you think. Maybe there's more I didn't spot, I only saw this one page, didn't investigate further.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Personally I would ask your neighbours to call the police the next time he upsets them.

I would also write a letter back dated at least two days saying that because of his not paying rent on time you are giving him notice.

I get the feeling you are scared of him.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Options
    Badger Badger Badger

Just found this and thought it relevant.
    http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/housing/pdf/151564.pdf

See section 5.2

It looks like (on first reading, but I didn't scrutinise it), you have to give him a month's notice, based on the fact he pays monthly rent, taking effect from the next rent date.

Read and see what you think. Maybe there's more I didn't spot, I only saw this one page, didn't investigate further.

This would only be true if certain types of tenancy agreement have been created. If a licence to occupy has been created then the notice period can be whatever you want.

OP has said "both the lodgers are just on a one-month rolling houseshare agreement" which is not enough information to determine the correct notice. A tenancy will have been formed if the lodgers have exclusive use of their rooms, otherwise it will depend on the agreement.

It is a good idea to raise the issue for them to check though.

Finally, thanks to all of you who raised a smile on me this morning as I read through the thread!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure