PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Big Badger House (aka Noisy Lodger) HE'S GONE!

Options

Comments

• Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    I think you need to lay your cards on the table Badger Lady now as you have tried the nice way. I can understand that you want to be reasonable and give him a chance, but I think he needs telling that his music is unacceptable and if it doesn't improve he will have to find somewhere else to lodge and you will be giving him notice to quit. That should make him realise how serious the problem is if he has any sense, and he will do something about it, like investing in some wireless head phones.

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • barnaby-bear
    barnaby-bear Posts: 4,142 Forumite
    Options
    Lodger 2 is currently texting him - he's just told me that he doesn't really like the guy at all and is quite happy to rock the boat :(

So you've bought what sounds like a complete selfish !!!!!! into the house, devaluing the environment for your nice lodger, keeping him awake etc, carry on like this and he might go elsewhere and only another selfish !!!!!! will want to move in instead.... if it's like this early on IT WON'T GET BETTER - this is the honeymoon period....

P1ssing off your neighbours and flatmates isn't big or clever just makes you a selfish git. Teenagers do it out of thoughtlessness when they are adults it's not because they haven't realised/thought but because they DON'T CARE.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    He's an annoying eejit who'll carry on until you get rid of him. He obviously has no consideration for you or your neighbours.

So who'll get into trouble? You - are you responsible for ensuring people living in your house behave?

If I was your neighbours - after I'd politely explained the noise was a problem - I'd be looking at what action I could take.

Once you have a neighbour dispute going on you have to declare it when you try to sell your home. It'll devalue your home.

You should get rid now.

Are you going away this weekend? Does that mean he'll be as noisy as he likes?
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OMG - was just chatting to a neighbour/friend of mine who lives 3 doors down (i.e. next-door-but-two), and he mentioned that he was being kept awake by some thudding base music on Thursday night !!! :eek:

This is obviously a bigger problem than I thought (and danm, I'm a heavy sleeper!).

Thanks for your recommendations - this is going to be hard :( I know I have the right to evict him at my discretion but I just don't like upsetting people.

I'll definitely have a chat first, maybe set up some sort of trial period and see how it goes. After all, he's going to struggle to find another room to rent if he is evicted due to noise! Particularly one in such a lovely house and great location (if I do say so myself).
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • zebulon
    zebulon Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    I just want him to talk to me :(. I very subtly changed my Facebook status to "Badger_Lady is going to get an ASBO",

I think, for possible future lodger(s) you might want to keep it a bit less personal - no problem to be friends but...
    unless you're the kind to have anyone you know on your facebook ;).

its a bit like teachers making friends with students, its not great - once "friends" some people think they can get away with everything - if you see what I mean.

good luck
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ^ they are pretty much my only friends in the area - I moved here from 100 miles away and the whole point of getting lodgers was to build up a local network. See your point, though...

I don't add "anyone" to Facebook, but some of my neighbours are on there too - I think it helps to keep communication channels wide open (I've got nothing to hide).
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • Tori_Bellatrix
    Tori_Bellatrix Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please keep us updated Badger Lady ... I've recently had to suffer noise from my neighbours so interested to see other peoples perspective.
    :happylove Tori Bellatrix :happylove

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
  • barnaby-bear
    Options
    OMG - was just chatting to a neighbour/friend of mine who lives 3 doors down (i.e. next-door-but-two), and he mentioned that he was being kept awake by some thudding base music on Thursday night !!! :eek:

This is obviously a bigger problem than I thought (and danm, I'm a heavy sleeper!).

Thanks for your recommendations - this is going to be hard :( I know I have the right to evict him at my discretion but I just don't like upsetting people.

I'll definitely have a chat first, maybe set up some sort of trial period and see how it goes. After all, he's going to struggle to find another room to rent if he is evicted due to noise! Particularly one in such a lovely house and great location (if I do say so myself).

Jeez you're going to get the reputation as that daft hippy who has all those young lodgers who cause the whole street problems. After the neighbour coming round at 1:30am because her kids were kept awake he should have been on his best behaviour (that probably was it), your neighbours are being kept awake, their kids are tired and upset, their lives are being impacted - 3 doors away is very far. Your nice lodger won't stick it forever and there will be more atmospheric run ins... to be honest being evicted for noise is probably a good thing for him in the long run, he might eventually twig. For every neighbour that complains there will be others too scared too, too worried about a dispute in case they move, too old and vunerable. You are causing a lot of people a lot of upset and stress by being touchy feely.
  • barnaby-bear
    Options
    ^ they are pretty much my only friends in the area - I moved here from 100 miles away and the whole point of getting lodgers was to build up a local network. See your point, though...

I don't add "anyone" to Facebook, but some of my neighbours are on there too - I think it helps to keep communication channels wide open (I've got nothing to hide).
    It's all very well being friendly and tryign to get involved in the community but I'd find it very irritating if you were being all socially networky whilst your lodgers (in the neighbours eyes people you brought in who wouldn't have bought houses in their street, people you do have the power to stop making noise) are keeping their kids awake, their kids are crying at night, go to school tired, have scraps at school, parents harrassed. The old widowed lady you don't know abouton her own kept awake, with noone to talk to about her worries, scared of her neighbours...
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Options
    Get rid, he's obviously delinquent, no doubt telling his mates in the boozer how he's running rings around his landlady.

A sad state of affairs when we in society are so frightened of 'causing offence' we worry about telling low-life to clear off.

Chances are he's using.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport