PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

HM Burgers!

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    tattoo wrote:
    I would like to make my own home made burgers. I'm going to use the easy meatball mix from the recipe thread. My question is, do i need a burger press thingy to make the burgers stay together and be nice and "pressed" or if I just mould them with my hands will they fall apart??

thanks

tattoo
    Hiya :)

We have an older thread on burgers which has other recipes and hints plus a word or two on burger makers so I've merged the threads together.

Since older posts are listed first you'll need to read this new thread from the beginning to catch up with us. :)

Good luck
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • James240
    James240 Posts: 16,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    hi guys

its probably fairly easy but does anyone know how i can make homemade burgers? do i use mince to make them? anyhelp would be much appreciated as i only moved out of parents house in last year and still branching out into trying to make different food lol
    Savings Total so far for 2023: £8,062.58
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I just get some lean mince, and pat it together with a little salt and pepper, if you like onion in your burgers chop some and mix before patting them together. Its quite theraputic sqeezing it all together, and i find they keep their shape well when frying or grilling.
    Catherine x
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Mince beef, finely chopped onion, bread crumbs, a squidge of tomato puree, one egg, salt and pepper.

Get your hands in there and give it a good mix. Make into patties and bake.

Easy!
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi all :)

We have an older thread on HM beefburgers, so i've added your posts onto it.

Since posts are listed in date order you'll need to read from the beginning to catch up with us all :)

Good luck
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    There are lots of recipes for hm beefburgers,but I find the easiest and tastiest is simply;
    minced beef
    a grated onion(or v.finely chopped)
    salt and pepper to taste

Squelch it all together,shape into patties and then refrigerate for at least 30 mins-this helps them firm up and makes them less likely to fall apart.

Other recipes add an egg to help bind the mixture,but they also have breadcrumbs in because the egg makes them sloppy :confused:

Fry or grill until cooked through,about 5 mins per side.They should feel bouncy to the touch,to really be sure they're cooked you'll have to cut one up.

Obviously this recipe is ripe for experimentation-spices,garlic,little cubes of melty cheese in the middle,different meat,herbs....

Allow 2-4 oz mince per burger depending on appetite.Bon appetit!
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There's a recipe on the MSE recipe thread for "dee's oniony meatballs" that's the mix I use for my burgers any time I make them.

Edit: HERE'S the link to the recipe for anyone who needs it.
  • Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Why make meat burgers? I am vegetarian and I tend to do some meat and some vegetable burgers and my family always say that the vegetable burgers that I make are better than the meat ones.

Makes 8

1 Onion
    1 Stick of Celery
    1 Red Pepper
    2 Tablespoons of Sunflower Oil
    1 Clove of Garlic
    175 g (6 oz) Dried Red Lentils
    1 Vegetable Stock Cube
    1/2 Teaspoon of Yeast Extract
    75 g (3 oz) Fresh Breadcrumbs
    50 g (2 oz) Chopped Nuts
    Ground Black Pepper

Dice the onion and celery. De-seed the pepper and cut into thin cubes.

Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and add the onion and celery until soft.

Peel and crush the garlic and add to the pan along with the pepper and lentils. Cook for about a minute.

Crumble the stock cube into a measuring jug and pour in 350 ml (12 fl oz) boiling water. Add the yeast extract and stir well.

Pour the stock into the pan and bring to the boil. Then turn the heat down until the mixture bubbles gently, Put a lid on the pan.

Cook the mixture for 25 minutes or until the lentils have absorbed all the stock. Spoon the mixture into a large mixing bowl. Mix in the breadcrumbs, nuts and some black pepper.

Let the mixture cool then cover and put into the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

When chilled, divide the mixture into eight pieces. Sprinkle some flour onto a chopping board and roll each piece into a ball. Press each ball into a burger shape and cook like you would normally cook a burger.

Delicious.
  • My burger mix is:

500g lean minced beef
    1 grated red onion
    1 grated clove garlic
    1tsp wholegrain mustard
    loads of freshly ground black pepper

Mix well, shape into burgers and chill for at least 30 minutes.
    I have grilled, fried and bbqd these and they have never fallen apart, and are so delicious!!

Serve in a toasted bun with cheese, salad, relish and fries.
    Mmmm - think this might be tea tonight!! :)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • I keep it very simple. Just minced beef and salt. I mash the mince right down with the back of a fork and find that it breaks down nicely and binds easily. I sometimes dust the outside with a little flour to prevent sticking, but I pat them out quite wide and thin. In order to keep them together I try not to grill them too hot, I cook them quite slowly, and keep turning to a minimum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure