PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

HM Burgers!

Comments

• gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    For christmas last year we were given a burger maker and a book with loads of different ideas, we have used them loads of times with my 2 kids, much better than anything you can buy (execpt of the local butchers ones) but much cheaper to make yourself with good mince.

The burger maker and book came from lakeland limited and the maker costs about 6pounds... it seems to hold them together better than had made ones.

GD
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • xueta
    xueta Posts: 480 Forumite
    gingerdad wrote:
    ...much cheaper to make yourself with good mince.

GD

Hmmm. Quite agree!

Get some good steak mince, shape into patties and cook on a griddle with a little olive oil. When they're nearly done, splash with lemon juice and season with salt. Do this both sides and you'll have the most succulent, yummy burgers.

The olive oil, lemon juice and salt trick was something demonstrated at a local farmers' market to cook sirloin steaks - they were the best steaks I'd ever tried and the burgers cooked in this way are the tastiest too!!!
  • I use tesco organic pork mince, stir in some chopped ginger and garlic, add some runny honey and soy sauce and let it marinade for a bit. Gently fry up some onions and finely chopped mushrooms, mix them in with the pork, shape them, put in fridge for 10 minutes so they keep their shape without the need for egg (dairy problems....) and fry them in olive oil. They caramelise and are so tasty, I make extra for next day's lunchboxes, they are also nice cold.
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post
    Do any veggies out there want the recipe for the mushroom burgers we're having for tea tonight? :)

There's a kidney bean thread somewhere where I've posted the recipe for spicy bean burgers - mmmmmmm..... :D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes please. Not that I'm a veggie but I really like mushrooms :)

Could you add it on to the end of our Recipe Collection please so that it gets indexed properly.

Somewhere about ---> Here :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    ashmit wrote:
    Do any veggies out there want the recipe for the mushroom burgers we're having for tea tonight? :)

There's a kidney bean thread somewhere where I've posted the recipe for spicy bean burgers - mmmmmmm..... :D

Sounds good :)

Could you link me to your bean burgers too, i can't seem to find them :(
  • A good tip I got from the Masterchef book is not to add salt to your burger mix (as it dries out the meat which can also make it crumble) instead add some soy sauce or Worcester sauce and for lamb burgers add some nam plai (Thai fish sauce, just a few drops) don't worry it won't taste 'fishy'. :)

For pork mince Nigel Slaters recipe is gorgeous - they are called meatballs but are more like mini burgers really... pork mince, with chopped: smoked bacon/pancetta, finely chopped spring onions, finely chopped lemon grass, finely chopped red chillie/s, lotsof chopped fresh coriander, crushed garlic - rest in fridge for at least 30 mins, make into mini burger shapes (about the size of a walnut, then squash flat with a fork) and pan fry in ground nut oil. Even nicer served in a hot broth of homemade chicken stock with added (crushed) lemongrass stalks, chopped/sliced red chillies, chopped mint and chopped coriander. yummy :)
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post
    Mushroom recipe (pronounced re-sipe, not re-sip-ee in my head!!) posted here.

here for the spicy beanburgers

any qs give me a yell :)
  • misty
    misty Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    I've attempted to make burgers with similar recipes to these but everytime without fail they've fallen apart when I've cooked them. I end up with a mince and onion concoction in a bun!!! it's edible but not really what I want - any ideas where I'm going wrong?
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    misty wrote:
    I've attempted to make burgers with similar recipes to these but everytime without fail they've fallen apart when I've cooked them. I end up with a mince and onion concoction in a bun!!! it's edible but not really what I want - any ideas where I'm going wrong?

We have found they stay together much better with our little burger maker, as it squeezes it all together.

http://www.lakelandlimited.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/GBP/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=JiSUnKfhtim7i-TI5DeYmg8hnPh10jaoSSc=?ProductID=CknCy5OSC2QAAADlT3tleMKl
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport