PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Smelly spilt milk...

Options

Comments

• carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear that looks bad. Thanks anyway. I've smothered it in 1001 non vac foam stuff which at least has made the car smell better albeit temporarily. My friend has got a Kirby, does that have a shampooing attachment I wonder? She's in Spain for a week though. Short of cutting the seat open to get at the foam inside there's not a lot I can do. It's only a Y reg car too, my first "decent" one.
  • mightymo_2
    Options
    Carol_a - did you get rid of the smell in the car?

A bottle of milk split in our car last weekend, - the car absolutely stinks now. I have tried washing the carpet so many times with so many different solutions....

Did you end up using a vax?
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    No, I couldn't get hold of a Vax in the end. I used the 1001 "No vac foam carpet freshener...gentle breeze" (in a blue tin) twice after sponging the seat as much as possible with clear water first and dabbing with a towel.

I had to drive with the window open for a few days (not so easy in this cold weather) but I can honestly say that the smells, both the milk and the spray both went fairly quickly and there's no remaining odours at all now..Good luck with yours. Bet you'll check milk bottles from now on, I know I do. (And always put them on the floor now)
  • henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    Options
    If you go to the Vets you can buy a big yellow bottle of spray that is specially made to remove 'organic' smells i.e. vomit, milk, urine etc. It is called something like Odour Remover and although it costs about £9 it is worth every penny.
    HTH
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    carol_a wrote:
    I didn't realise until I got home from shopping on Thursday that the lid of a 2 litre bottle of milk was loose. Now there is about a pint of milk soaked into the back seat of my car. I soaked up as much as I could by pressing with a white towel, then sponged it down with loads of water and dried it again but I fear it has gone right down into the foam inside. This morning when I went out the car smells like a very ripe French cheese and is quite disgusting. The seat is dry now and there's no staining, should I just use Febreeze or similar as recommended in the above posts do you think? Will the smell go in time or get worse? Thanks.

I was a taxi driver for 22 years, and we always used to spray our seats with after shave. My husband used to be cross if I pinched his 'posh stuff'but Denim used to work a treat. Often it would be from bags of shopping in the boot of the cab that milk leaked out of.It is a rotten smell,be glad it's not high summer it's worse then becuase of the heat.
  • dadrock
    dadrock Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    HG Eliminator helped with ours.
    We scrubbed the car floor with a warm mix of bio washing powder.
    Left it in the sun to dry..
    Then gave it a good spray with HG Eliminator afterwards.

Once place that sells HG products:-
    http://www.store.everyday-essentials.co.uk/acatalog/Removal_of_Vomit_Smell_on_a_Carpet.html
  • Dr.Lou
    Dr.Lou Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me.
    A few days ago, I bought a bottle of milk and drove home with it and the rest of the shopping. When I got home, I realised that the milk had leaked all over the carpet within the car. I immediately cleaned it up, but on using my car today there is a most awful smell. I've tried cleaning it again but the smell wont go away.....Anyone else had this problem, and what did you do?

Thanks!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The thread in the link below should help. Not quite the same - but similar enough!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=458623#post458623

Edit: One about milk in a household carpet:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=88239
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    Did you buy the milk in one of the big supermarkets? Reason for asking is that my best friend bought a 2 litre carton in Sainsburys and the same thing happened to her. She went back to Sainsburys and told them what had happened and they paid for her car to be valetted - apparantly it happens alot and supermarket managers are authorised to do this. Failing that it is a really big job to get the smell out!! Before my friend went back to the supermarket about her milk spill she tried everything to shift it but it was still there!! You could try cleaning it with stardrops with amonia as that is a really strong (but gentle enough on fabrics etc) cleaner and then febreeze it but I'm not sure. Just don't put vinegar or lemon juice near it or it will make it ferment even more I think!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Dr.Lou
    Dr.Lou Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks - yes I did get it from one of the big supermarkets. Funnily enough, my sis suggested this to me today too. Found my reciept and the offending bottle - will have to pluck up the courage to go and complain!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport