PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Smelly spilt milk...

Options

Comments

• janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How about using diluted Stardrops on the area which will also help get rid of the smell. Aggie and Kim(How clean is your house) also suggest putting a clean white towel and top of the damp patch and paddling up and down1 Remember to keep all wooden furniture away from it until it has completely dried to avoid ruining the carpet!
  • piglet6
    piglet6 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also found this on another site:

Milk Stains on Carpet & Rugs
    Milk Stains On Your Carpet. One of the worst things that can happen is to have new carpet that gets milk stains on it. Fast reaction can be the best tool to getting the stain out of anything; that goes for carpeting as well. Follow these steps for milk stain removal.
    • Blot the stain as much as possible to soak up as much as possible. If the milk has dried, remove any debris that you can with a dull knife.
    • Use isopropyl rubbing alcohol with a terry cloth. Apply to the location in a blotting motion. The stain will move from the carpeting to the cloth.
    • If this does not work, then you will want to make a cleaning solution of 1/4 of a teaspoon of dishwashing soap and one quart of water. Do not use any bleaching products here. Use the blotting method to get the detergent into the stain. Use a clean towel to blot the area dry. If the location still has milk stain on it, continue until it is successfully removed.
    • Rinse the area with warm water. Apply the water with a spray bottle on a mist spray. Blot the area with a dry towel to remove this rinsing water.
    • If these things do not work to remove the stain, use hydrogen peroxide to help you. Let is stand for about an hour and then blot the area. If you need to use this method, you will not need to rinse the area afterwards.
    • To help it to dry, place something heavy on the area on top of a dry cloth. This will help the liquid to be absorbed into the cloth.

Hopefully this may help to shift it...although please understand that both of these are just links from the web, and I don't have any personal experience of success using either method! ;)

Piglet
  • Lizbetty
    Lizbetty Posts: 979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi folks! I hope you all had a fab Christmas! We did, apart from the fact that my husband spilt a full flask of milk over the front car seat (where I sit, ho hum..) and it's started to stink the car out. He dabbed a bit up but he was at work at the time and didn't get chance to do any more about it, so it's probably well set by now.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to tackle it? I daren't do anything in case I make it worse :o ...we need to fit a car seat for when our new baby arrives in 2 weeks (max :eek: !) so I'm hoping we can get the stain sorted and dried by then.

All advice would be very much welcomed!!! Thank you everyone,

Lucy
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Lucy,

We have an older thread on dealing with spilt milk that should help you so I'll merge your thread with it as it helps to keep all the suggestions together. Good luck with getting it sorted out.

Pink
  • Lizbetty
    Lizbetty Posts: 979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks and sorry for late thanks! Kept trying to sign in but forums were shut for essential maintenance each time.

I blathered the car seat with bicarb last Thursday, (it's still on there I've been sitting on a black bin liner!) and the smell has vanished! Hopefully, when we get round to vacuuming it off, it'll still be ok. (The vacs broken though, that's a WHOLE new thread, loL!).

I love this site. Saved us waiting til Winter next year and selling the car! :j

Thanks again soooo much

Luce
  • emilyt
    emilyt Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Poor you. The same thing happened to us DD was 10 at the time and spilt milk on the lounge carpet. Of course we didn't know about it until we smelt it. We tried everything even took up the underlay and cleaned the carpet several times. Hate to say it but the in the end we had to buy a new carpet i just couldn't stand the smell any longer. To this day my DD isn't allowed milk in the lounge and she is 20. If you find anything that works please let us know.
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile :D
  • bonvonnie
    bonvonnie Posts: 536 Forumite
    Options
    emilyt wrote: »
    Poor you. The same thing happened to us DD was 10 at the time and spilt milk on the lounge carpet. Of course we didn't know about it until we smelt it. We tried everything even took up the underlay and cleaned the carpet several times. Hate to say it but the in the end we had to buy a new carpet i just couldn't stand the smell any longer. To this day my DD isn't allowed milk in the lounge and she is 20. If you find anything that works please let us know.

eek :D my son spilt half a cup of milk on our lounge carpet, and yes its stinks, putting it mildly. will get the bicarb now, and see how i get on
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone please know how to get rid of this? My youngest had brought a carton of milk back sometime from school as he hadn't had time to drink it. I don't know how,but my eldest boy stood on it (don't even know where it was!) and it burst spraying this hideous smell all over my front room/office area. I have had to take the rug out as it was full of it,I have wiped everywhere as it must have sprayed around the walls,however I have stripped varnished floorboards and I think the stuff has run down the gaps too.

It absolutely stinks,I have tried a whole bottle of febreze-we all feel ill and it ruined my appetite for the gorgeous curry I had made-any further advice gratefully recieved!
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bloomin' kids:rolleyes: The only thing I can think of is to leave bowls of bicarb around the worst smelling areas. It is good for absorbing smells, it's best sprinkled on the smell but if you can't pinpoint the source try the bowls.
    HTH:)
  • emmy05
    emmy05 Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Options
    soak the area in white vinegar and mop up with paper towels. Put up with vinegary smell for about a week and after that, not a sign of vinegar smell or that horrible milk odor will remain.

i just did a search for you, i honestly thought we could use lemon, but not so here ............
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport