PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Smelly spilt milk...

Options
Hi all,
Have discovered the awful smell in my daughter's bedroom was some cleverly hidden spilt milk....uuurgh.
Have tried carpet cleaner, detergent, vanish spray, bicarbonate of soda (courtesy of How Clean is Your House - Kim and Aggie!), but nothing seems to be shifting the awful vomit making smell.
Any ideas about what might get rid of the smell - the carpet seems like it could not be any cleaned but the smell still lingers.....
Any advice much appreciated,
Emma

Comments

• greenlogo
    Options
    oh Emma, that's not nice - you poor thing.

I wonder if the milk's through the carpet and it's the underlay/floorboards that are smelling rather than the carpet itself? You should be able to left the carpet etc and do the bicarb thing further down the layers as it were, but it's a bit of a faff...

I know the special carpet febreeze is very good for this kind of thing (and if the carpet passes the patch test ok you could really quite saturate the area)
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I say a good soak with febreeze too for this one.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my gran swore by talc for getting smeels out of carpets, but she reckoned you had to leave it on for 24 hours
  • myrnahaz
    myrnahaz Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Options
    The smell won't go until it's dry (it was a regular event when my kids were kids). If you keep spraying febreze or washing it etc it'll just keep wet and keep smelling. Let it dry first and then squirt febreze or talc or whatever.
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    My daughter did this too once! As we were going away for a week, I let her have drink while I packed the car up.

Helpfully - she washed and dried her cup too (only 4 at the time!) - which I thought was nice..................

Was aware of the spill when I got home to the stench!

The smell is caused by bacteria though - so I used a anti-bacterial agent - sprayed liberally!!! Took a few days and then wash well with soapy water.
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't realise until I got home from shopping on Thursday that the lid of a 2 litre bottle of milk was loose. Now there is about a pint of milk soaked into the back seat of my car. I soaked up as much as I could by pressing with a white towel, then sponged it down with loads of water and dried it again but I fear it has gone right down into the foam inside. This morning when I went out the car smells like a very ripe French cheese and is quite disgusting. The seat is dry now and there's no staining, should I just use Febreeze or similar as recommended in the above posts do you think? Will the smell go in time or get worse? Thanks.
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    carol_a wrote:
    I didn't realise until I got home from shopping on Thursday that the lid of a 2 litre bottle of milk was loose. Now there is about a pint of milk soaked into the back seat of my car. I soaked up as much as I could by pressing with a white towel, then sponged it down with loads of water and dried it again but I fear it has gone right down into the foam inside. This morning when I went out the car smells like a very ripe French cheese and is quite disgusting. The seat is dry now and there's no staining, should I just use Febreeze or similar as recommended in the above posts do you think? Will the smell go in time or get worse? Thanks.

same thing happened to us a couple of months ago. A whole 1 litre carton of milk went on teh carpets in the car. Soaked as much up as possible but everytime we got in the car it stank! OH tried febreze, neuta-air sprays etc etc but there was always a nasty niff. Also kept trying to wash it, then soak it up. Kept getting mroe and more milk out but never got rid of the smell. Then we got the vax onto it. Problem solved.

Trust me febreeze wont get rid of the stink - vax it (if you have one)
  • elvis_bloggs
    Options
    Nobody has mentioned white vinegar yet, I thought that was the universal cure all. 1a_y_tongue1.gif

• carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    No I don't have a vax or know anyone that has one, oh dear!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    carol_a wrote:
    No I don't have a vax or know anyone that has one, oh dear!
    This doesn't look as though it will be an easy task now.

http://www.howtocleananything.com/frame.htm

Use the link to the serach engine and in the two lower boxes put milk and carpet. There are several things listed.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family