PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Smelly spilt milk...

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Suzi,

There's an earlier thread that should help so I've added your post to it.

This thread may be useful too:

Getting rid of milk smells in car

Pink
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys-I didn't get back to check the answers before I went to sleep. The smell isn't so strong today-I expect it's drying,but it does smell really stale and I almost wsh my hayfever would come back so I couldn't smell at all :)

Fab advice on this site. I have sprinkled bicarb down the cracks (oo-er missus!) and re the bowls of vinegar 'left around' I only have white-will this work?

I have just been out and 'mourned' over my lovely rug waiting for the bin-men-I just know it would not clean so it's bye-bye,what a waste (was 4 years old,but I tend to keep things till they fall apart-very old-style!)
    Hopefully time will help with the residual smell-at least there's no central heating on this time of year.
    Oh,and the 6 year old has been told-if you don't drink your milk at home-don't bring it home! I have told him he can have as much as he wants out our own fridge!
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • skintmumof3
    Options
    i spilt a tub of double cream and some went under the lino. i cleaned it up. but a week later there is a horrible smell from under the lino.......:eek:
    what can i use to get rid of the stink.
    thanks
    skint
    xx
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi skintmum,

Some of the ideas on this thread may help:

Smelly spilt milk...

Pink
  • annakat99
    annakat99 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    I (stupidly) spilt a whole cupof milky, slightly sugary coffee in the footwell of my car the other day. I mopped up a bit at the time, but didn't have time to do much more.... I now get a lovely whiff of coffee every time I climb in (not too offensive) however there's starting to be a stale milk undertone to it (not nice at all). A friend informs me that as the coffee smell dissappears over time, the soiur milk smell will linger and get worse.

Do any of you OSers have any idea how I can deoderise my car?
  • wizk1
    wizk1 Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A bit of disinfectant or lemon juice will kill the bacteria causing the whiff. Try doing that for a few days
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi annakat,

There's an earlier thread with some ideas that may help so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • fingerbob7
    Options
    I spilled a latte all over my car, it was balancing on the back window, it fell forward into the carpet. I stupidly left it and a day later the milk dried and the smell turned rancid, each day it got steadily worse. It was horrendous. I tried all the suggestions on here: bicarbonate, vinegar, febreze, bio powder. None worked, it just became more putrid. When I was quoted £50 for a professional clean, I decided to try some other products.

I used Autoglym Stain and scuff remover £11. This was recommended but hard to find as it is no longer made by the company . I got it online. It made a big difference but it didn't work fully. I could still partially smell the disgusting vomit like smell.

So then I used Autoglym interior shampoo £6.25. This helped, but there was still a trace of puke smell. This was easier to use over a larger area.

Finally I added Autoglym air freshener £6.30, and it worked! The spray is sprayed directly onto carpet and upholstery.The car smells lovely and fresh and is back to normal.

I spent approx £23.50 on Autoglym products. I stuck with them because they are supposedly professional quality and the cleaning products have strong active deep cleaning chemicals specifically for deoderising and removing smells.

I hope this is helpful to someone, don't despair a solution is out there.;)
  • fingerbob7
    Options
    Just realsied this thread was started 6 years ago....:doh:
  • Zoelikesjam
    Options
    Hey everyone,

In need of some serious help! Our 3year old managed to get her hands on a bottle of milk, and proceeded to pour it all over her bedroom carpet. I've scrubbed, I've used our carpet cleaner/Vax, however nothing seems to be getting rid of the awful smell from the soured milk. Short of running over the area again with the Vax or going out and hiring an industrial carpet cleaner, I don't know what to do. We really don't want to rip the carpet up.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can put down to clean it? Or anything I can put in the Vax that would help?

Thanks in advance!x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family