PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Smelly spilt milk...

Options

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sprinkle bicarb directly onto the spilt milk.It works brilliantly on carpets that have been puked on (sorry). Hoover it up a couple of hours later.
  • oldwiring
    oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From answerban<<Good old vinegar. Stand a bowl of vinegar in the affected area overnight and the smell will have gone the next day. I know it worked when I spilled milk in may car, it may take a little longer in the home.>>
  • pounds_and_pensive
    Options
    We never managed to banish the smell in our car either, and eventually ridded ourself of it only by selling the car. Years ago, an enraged milkman decided that he'd been cut up by my husband at the bottom of our road, and got out of his float and chucked a pint of milk through the (closed) driver's side rear window. Lovely.

These days I'm a bit wiser though. As well as actually reporting Manic Milkman, I'd try sprinklingly the affected area with bicarb and hope that it absorbs the milk and the smell. I don't think it would have much effect after the milk has dried though, but you never know.

You've got my sympathies. Milk's probably one of the few things you can stick in a car that smells even worse than those Tree 'fresheners'. Yuk.
    Eek! Someone's stolen my signature! :eek:
  • scrimperjan
    Options
    I scrubbed my car seat with a strong vinegar & water solution when I'd spilt milk on it, then swabbed it off as much as I could and sprinkled a thick layer of bicarb over it. I left it for a couple of days to dry and then vacuumed off the bicarb. It worked, as far as the bad milk smell went, but it did leave a slight mark. (The vinegar smell went after about a week as well!)
  • Mrs_pbradley936
    Options
    This will work trust me. Buy a couple of packs of "Odour Eaters" made for sweaty trainers and put them onn top of the carpet then cover with a mat or tea towel. Then forget about it for a couple of days. They are made from charcol and that is the most odour absorbing material you can get.
  • achtunglady
    achtunglady Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter managed to get her lid off her cup of milk and its spilt on the carpet, i have mopped up most of it but i know its going to start smelling, what can i use on it to stop the inevitable smell please, thanks.
    And yes the lady in the avatar is me

Slimming World started 12/5/11 : Starting weight 12st 3lb
    Hoping to get to 9 stone by September 2011

Wk1 -1lb Wk2 -2lb Wk3 +0.5lb Wk4 STS
  • mandirinmonroe
    Options
    try wiping it with a damp cloth and some zoflora
    Goooooo with the Flowwwwww
  • Aoife's_mum
    Options
    Hello

Think this is quite a common problem with little ones - I just make sure I move house frequently :rotfl: . But my grandmother swears by bicarbonate of soda for anything smelly - just sprinkle it on and hoover off a few times - might be worth a try as unlikely to make it any worse!

Good luck
  • Dr.Lou
    Dr.Lou Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    I had the same problem when I spilt milk in my car. Neutradol Powder really helped to get rid of the smell.
  • piglet6
    piglet6 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just did a bit of a google search for you and came up with the following:

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/milk

Not sure what "Motstenbocker's Lift Off" (:confused:?!?!) is but it might be worth investigating the "Old Method" a bit further down the page...?!;)

Good luck - fingers crossed it works for you...:o

Piglet
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills