PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Smelly spilt milk...

Options

Comments

• Miss-spent_2
    Miss-spent_2 Posts: 572 Forumite
    Options
    Dilute bicarbonate of soda in warm water and wash everything with it. It's brilliant. Excellent to get rid of the smell of vomit in cars too. (sorry to be indelicate but it really works!)
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    that happened to me a few years ago, it smelt really really badddd over the summer, it had soaked into the passenger seat so there was no getting rid of it,i was embarressed to give anyone a lift so i ended up flogging the car in winter when it didnt smell, that poor buyer must be cursing me every summer now :o
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • floridafil
    floridafil Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Same again to me. I cleaned with disinfectant and removed boot lining and washed it with a jetwash but the smell was still there. It does eventually go, so be patient!
  • Shez
    Shez Posts: 2,180 Forumite
    Options
    oh yes, spilt milk, what a bummer to get rid of smell!! might try the bicarb now, thanks.
    you clean the carpets etc, but like charlotte664 says, it gets into places you cant reach!
    poo wee!
  • tobymangel
    tobymangel Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    bottle of milk smashed in car couple of days ago, washed it straight away with fairy and hot water.
    Got in car yesterday and was going to wash again just in case but didnt smell to bad so left it then got in today and there is an awful smell brewing any one with any ideas before it gets any worse got to ferry some lads to football tommorow night ! could be embarrassing:o
  • chatta
    chatta Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I dont know what you can do, years ago I did the same thing I kept washing carpets, but it kept returning eventually I gave up and ripped them out. Maybe now there might be someone with a good product. Bad in this heat as well!!
  • tobymangel
    Options
    apologies was in such a rush to find what to do, i forgot that there was bound to be a previous thread with answers in already.

feel free to delete this post
  • tobymangel
    Options
    looking at the other thread of same subject it says to use a solution of bicarbonate of soda - is this the same as baking powder sorry for been thick!:confused:
  • vivaladiva
    vivaladiva Posts: 2,425 Forumite
    Options
    tobymangel wrote:
    looking at the other thread of same subject it says to use a solution of bicarbonate of soda - is this the same as baking powder sorry for been thick!:confused:

No it isn't but you'll find it in the same bit of the supermarket. I'd definately give it a try. :D
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
  • lister
    lister Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    tobymangel wrote:

No - they are two different things. Bicarb is pure sodium bicarbonate (although I bet the manufacturers now manage to sneak other rubbish in as well). Baking powder contains sodium bicarbonate, but also a load of other ingredients as well (tartaric acid or other acidifying agents are the most important).

Bicarb should work better in most situations as a cleaning agent, but you may need slightly acidified water to make the best solution (sodium bicarb needs an acid solution to start releasing C02, whereas baking powder doesn't because of the acidifying agents) - just add a teaspoon of spirit vinegar to about 500mls of water. Drop a little bicarb in as a test - if it fizzes dramatically the water is too acidic...

If you live in a soft water area you shouldn't need to, as the water is probably already somewhat acidic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport