PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Free Food Challenge

Options

Comments

• flourgirl
    flourgirl Posts: 3,415 Forumite
    Options
    Just received my 2 kitchen compost bins plus bran activator from Doncaster Council totally free!! Blackwall are sellling them for £35 each plus £4 for the bran. Not bad eh? :T
  • frugalfairy_3
    Options
    I've been given the two most enormous marrows I've ever seen! I think they're prizewinning ones! Now all I've got to do is think of ways of disguise them as OH isn't keen and there's only the two of us here. Got a stuffed marrow recipe which is quite nice but we don't eat jam :rolleyes: so may have to make lots of soup or something.
  • hazzie123
    hazzie123 Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    When I was a kid we always had marrows stuffed with sausage meat mixed with sage and onion stuffing.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007 :j :money:
  • hazzie123
    hazzie123 Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    flourgirl wrote:
    Just received my 2 kitchen compost bins plus bran activator from Doncaster Council totally free!! Blackwall are sellling them for £35 each plus £4 for the bran. Not bad eh? :T

Would all councils do free compost bins? It sounds a really good idea.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007 :j :money:
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    hazzie123 wrote:
    Would all councils do free compost bins? It sounds a really good idea.

Not all of them do, check your local councils website.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • jap200
    jap200 Posts: 2,033 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I live in Kent, surrounded by Orchards (commercial ones). Windfall apples and plums are just left to rot as they are not even suitable for cider apparently, so I sometime collect some - I always feel a bit guilty though!
  • dandydeels
    dandydeels Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went mushroom picking in the forest at the weekend with an expert (my wife) and filled a basket of delicious wild mushrooms (say 5 kilos) . We fried up some fresh ones- which were delicious- the mother in law took the remainder on a preserve and share deal- she is drying them for use as flavouring throughout the winter and we are sharing them. When i was in London over the summer I spotted these mushrooms selling for 20 pounds a kilo in Borough market. I guess I am lucky living in Money saving Poland where wild mushroom picking is a seasonal cultural event and the skills haven't been lost. i am sure there is a rich harvest in the UK - armed with agood book to identify them- or an expert.
  • JillD_2
    JillD_2 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Options
    apologies if this is a duplicate or whatever.
    A week or two ago on here there was a thread where everyone said what food they'd got for free that week - I thought "blimey, noone ever gives me free food"....

well, since then, my friend gave me a load of plums, apples and pears from trees in her garden as they were all ripe and she is away on holidays now.

And today at the cafe in the leisure centre they had over ordered on bananas and they gave ma half a dozen to take home!
    Bargain!

What has anyone else managed to acquire this week ?
    Jill
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

• Icemaiden
    Icemaiden Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Apples, Apples and more Apples, I just can't stop picking:eek:
    Rebel No 22
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately much free junk food :(
    Mum looked after the kids whilst I was on honeymoon. I bought enough food for the week, and there would have been leftovers. I have inherited the following, those with a * I already had in and she got a 'better quality' (expensive) alternative
    Oven chips x 2 bags
    birdseye fishfingers *
    M&S sausages *
    baked beans**
    processed peas **
    m&s ready made salad
    quaVERS
    nutri grain bars
    rich tea biscuits
    robinsons squash * (she got thru 3 bottles of the economy stuff I had :eek:)
    m&s cucumber and orange pepper
    Jar of sweets (kids only have a packet of sweets on Fridays - 'treat day')
    Kingsmill white sliced bread *
    golden nuggets cereal
    rice crispies
    Ho-hum. It didn't cost me anything - financially that is LOL;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts