PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Free Food Challenge

Options

Comments

• scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Options
    Had a bag of apples given to us

And I got some sweet chestnuts from the tree up the road. But the miserable people in the flats by the tree have been sweeping them up as soon as they fall to stop people collecting them:mad:
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • Agutka
    Agutka Posts: 2,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Somebody had raspberry plants in their garden and they crept out into the park behind his house. There is now a forest of raspberries which I discovered, to my utter delight, last autumn. Turns out these flower and fruit twice a year, so my dog knows there will always be a little detour and rest on her walkies as I stock up. Yummy.
    Then there is my garden, which at the moment is yielding lettuces, tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes, spinach, pak choi, raspberries (shoots stolen from the above) and radishes. The weather was continuing to be so nice, I seeded my veggie garden all over again in september.
    Apart from that, there is always my mum's house, where the kitchen tends to be very generous...
    :wall:
  • saving_is_fun
    Options
    I have got lots of brambles in the freezer ready for pies and crumbles this winter. Also plums which I have stewed and sweetened ready to have with yogurt or custard, and apples which I have also stewed. They all cost me nothing. Brilliant!!
  • flourgirl
    flourgirl Posts: 3,415 Forumite
    Options
    So far I have in the freezer:- Elderberries, Sloes and Crab Apples to make Hedgerow Jelly. Rowan Berries for Jelly. Last week I was given Bramley Apples so made apple pies. Tomorrow I'm going scrumping in a friends orchard for cooking apples (more pies and crumbles) eating apples and pears to make chutney. Still plenty of elderberries about might get some more to make cordial. Which reminds me I think it's time to taste the Sloe Gin and Damson Vodka we made last year!!!!!!! :-)
  • freyaluck
    Options
    Over the last week have got
    - last of the seasons blackberries
    - tomatoes- off my plant
    -cape goosberries off my plant
    - a box of goodies cereal bar thingys (boots paid me a whole penny to take them away (with voucher)
    - cucumber cheers mil
    - elderberries for wine of course;)
    -apples off next doors tree that hangs over the fence
    - loads of herbs,(about 15 plants) a friend was emptying her herb patch.
    and lastly kind of for free (paying with my returned bank charges) 60ft of edible hedging ok wont be ready for another 3-5 years but I'll include it any way:rotfl:
    Saving for the future of the earth
  • hazzie123
    hazzie123 Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I`m gutted I`ve got nowt.
    Well I do have what looks like bird poo with bit of bramble in it splatered on my windscreen.Could always get one off the kids to lick it off,might count towards their five a day!
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007 :j :money:
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Last week-

2 tomatoes (MIL)
    3 loaves of granery bread (Lidls-giving away)
    bag of spuds-lidls giving away
    Chunk of cheddar-MIL
    Bag of damsons-made into crumbles
    Bag of apples-made into pie/crumble fillings
    Butter x 2-Lidls giving away
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    some for people looking to collect free food:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5339440.stm

I normally get random food items from my husbands Gran. She buys things on BOGOf etc., then gives the "free" item away!
    Here I go again on my own....
  • tinkerbell1978
    Options
    mums coming round with the fre one of the BOGO cant believe its not butter deal today :) and some blackberries we picked from around the village :)
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need"
    live simply so that others may simply live
  • Liney_2
    Liney_2 Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I was given 5lb of damsons last week.
    [size=-2]Remember its nice to be nice and its good to share!

Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind!

Before printing, think about the environment![/size]
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure