PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Free Food Challenge

Options

Comments

• Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eggs from a friend's chickens
    Large carrier bag of cooking apples
    Smaller bag of eating apples
    Carrier bag of runner beans
    All from people at church.
    Lots of our own tomatoes - but also take some of those along to church for others to help themselves.
    Cucumbers & lettuce from our garden.
    What, buy these things at this time of year!!!???
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My Dad gave me a giant puffball this week which he'd picked when out walking and some home grown grapes from their vines
    Regards
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    a friend gave me two pork chops .
  • churchmouse_3
    Options
    Cor you lot out there seem to manage to crop the entire fruit and veg species... all i get out of my land is 20 tons of horse s.... and not even any edible mushrooms. Anyone want any manure for their gardens?.... Its FREE.***
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    some cherry tomatoes off a neighbour.

a few pears off relatives tree, little boy picked them but they're rock hard. could I stew them?

Also discovered a crab apple tree, have memories of buying crab apple jelly/jam when i was little from a church fete-can anyone give me a simple recipe?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spendless wrote:
    some cherry tomatoes off a neighbour.

a few pears off relatives tree, little boy picked them but they're rock hard. could I stew them?

Also discovered a crab apple tree, have memories of buying crab apple jelly/jam when i was little from a church fete-can anyone give me a simple recipe?
    Yes they should stew just fine. :)

As for crab apple jelly...

Take your pick

..take your pick. get it?

All right, I'll get me coat :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • MIRRY_2
    Options
    I got 2 BIG Bass fish from my dad who caught them yest, now i have to cut them up YUK! Runner beans from a niehgbour and cherry and plum tomatoes from my mums friend. Also got some new potatoes reduced to 20p at my local market. This works out to be 10p in total for a meal for 4 people :T
    If only it was always so cheap to eat!
  • kindanice
    Options
    A bar of chocolate from a friend. :p
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This week mil has brought round some fairy cakes, damson jam tarts, apple pie and a blackberry and apple pie, also got a more ruhbarb from somewhere
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    today i have collected two bags of tomatoes, a bag of carrots, half a bag of beetroot, some cooking apples and some radishs as my grandads turned over the last of his veggie patch.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback