Barclaycard Credit Limit v Others

Options

Comments

• Thanks for that 'Digging Out' - told you I was a 'newbie'! Also ashamed to admit apart from long term endowments and savings plans have never been a regular saver so wouldn't have even thought of that...great tip!
  • DiggingOut
    DiggingOut Posts: 770 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers. Just be disciplined -- that savings needs to be untouchable, so you can use it when the 0% is up. If you ever get tempted to spend it, immediately draw it out of savings and pay off the card, 0% or not! :)
    I have five stars! This doesn't mean that I know anything about any of the things I post. I could be a raving lunatic, or a brilliant genius, or just some guy on the internet. In fact, I could be all three at the same time.

If anything I say makes sense, then do it. If not, don't. Don't blame me or my stars if you do something stupid because I suggested it. I'm responsible for my own stupidity only. You are responsible for yours.

Why, I don't even have five stars anymore! Aren't you glad you aren't responsible for my stupidity?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,098 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    1- income £18 to£26k,varies,

2-yes, old shuffles. roughly half income.

3- £1800,£5000,& £5500. (3 cards, can transfer limits to suit myself,and latest offers)

4- MBNA £14,600.

5-Most new cards give me £3500,to start.
    I have more cards than you recommend Martin, however I do not like to close them, as you never can tell when/where the next surprise offer will come from.
    [Tot. cl £4xsal/inc.] No to ch4!. I would give Galstonian palpitations?

Good repayment history helped to get this far, but some companies like Cap1 are stingy, to me anyway (£1000), but yet not to others. The latter remains an un-answered (as yet illogical) mystery.

Nationwide or Liv.Vic, next to get one back on the forex merchants!!!

:o
    :P
  • Leia_Stephens
    Leia_Stephens Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    1. My salary is a little under 20k gross.

2. I have one outstanding credit card debt now of just under £1,360; my card debt earlier in the year was approaching £3,300.

3. I have had a Barclaycard since September 2001, firstly my credit limit was £2,500, now it is £4,000.

4. My only other credit card is RBS Advanta (now MINT) which gave a limit of £4,950.

5. Not really a complication but, I originally did a BT from Barclaycard to a 0% six month deal, last month I did a BT back to Barclaycard for 6.9%, because my 0% deal was up. I was a couple of days too early for the 2.9% deal :(

Leia
    I want to be a good saver, but I find it difficult to control my temptation to spend :o .

I owe £1,247 more than I have in savings :( .
  • nerdbird_2
    Options
    Hi Martin

1. Salary of approx. 25k

2. I've recently taken on my partner's loans as well as my own as I could get a better rate than he could, but here goes...
    Loans of approx. £15k
    Credit cards of approx. £6600

3. Barclaycard gave me £280 - not even worth the time I spent filling in the forms

4. Credit cards I own:
    Lloyds TSB Createcard limit of £2800, cleared monthly.
    Lloyds TSB Gold card limit of £8000 empty
    Halifax Platinum 0% limit of £7000, currently at £6600 (being cleared).
    It was because the Halifax card stops being 0% at the end of September that the Barclaycard looked like such a good deal. I wish I hadn't bothered! :(

4. Which card gave you the biggest limit and how much
    Lloyds TSB Gold card (£8000) increased in stages, but the Halifax Platinum (0% for 9 months) gave me £7000 straight off and has been great.

Superb site by the way...thanks
  • SWITCHER_3
    Options
    Hi! I got a Barclaycard when they were doing 0% LOB with £1 per month min spend. The operator at Barclaycard suggested I set up a standing payment to a charity to cover the minimum payment! How's that for customer service!

1. My rough salary c£60,000
    2. Outstanding debts at time of taking out card was £10,000 which was transferred to the Barclaycard. Paying this off via DD, paying the minimum payment each month
    3. Barclaycard gave me a £13,200 limit
    4. Egg has given me the biggest limit of £14,000
    5. No special complications ::)
  • System
    Options
    I am a regular reader/contributor to this site.

Salary: £22,000
    Current Debits:
    £0 on credit card (balance cleared monthly)
    Graduate Overdraft: £-1500
    Student Loan: £4000 (2 yrs into paying back)

BarclayCard Limit: £850 :(

Card held presently, LloydsTSB Platinum, limit £5700 (without ever asking for increase)
    Card and current account held for over 6 years

No complications (except when I saw my Barclaycard limit ;)), household has excellent credit history.

I rung Barclaycard (having not activated card), no way of getting limit up until I have proven myself for 3 months as good for more credit. I suspect they are getting a lot of enquires regarding this aspect as there automated telephone system now has "No.1" for information on credit limit.
  • rocking_horse
    Options
    1. Salary roughly £20k,
    2. Quite a bit of outstanding debts as I am a tart.

3. Initially £1600,
    4. Marble £6500
    Halifax £6000

This is the new 13 month card. They don't tell you what your limit is until the card is issued.I don't know if it's better to transfer when you sign acceptance contract or at a later stage BUT the form you sign says all balance transfer requests must be on this official form.Do you get a better balance if you have no transfers to make?
  • System
    Options
    Please can you help be detailing

1. Your rough salary - 40k
    2. Whether you have current outstanding debts loan secured on house 15k plus 3k on cc
    3. What limit Barclaycard gave you £460
    4. Which card gave you the biggest limit and how much First Direct 3k
    5. if there are any complications that may skew how relevant this is for others, please note.
  • pioneer31
    pioneer31 Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Barclaycard arrived this morning, credit limit of £1200  :-/

My salary is £14k

Mint gave me £5250
    Halifax gave me £1400

and when i was a pennyless student, HSBC gave me £1400, so Barclaycard should hang their miserly heads in shame.

I have the full whack sitting on Mint, Halifax have just been given the push, the interest free period has expired.

I think I will apply for MBNA and probably not even use the barclaycard, although they do have a price promise which could come in handy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure