Dog needs URGENT OPERATION: Can't afford it

Options
Hi all,

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend.

Basically to cut a very long story short she has a dog which is 10 months old. Unfortunately he managed to get out the back garden last night and as a result his left back leg was run over by a car.

She called the vet out and he did an xray and bloodtests. This cost her £500.00. The vet has said that the dog will need an operation on his leg at a cost of £2,300.00. However, there are no guarantees!

She is a single parent of three children, works 25 hours a week and earns £6.50 per hour. The dog is a very much loved family pet but she just doesn't have the money to pay for his operation. The vet has also said that if the operation doesn't work his leg will need to be amputated at another cost of £2,500.00. Being on her own with three children and a mortgage to pay this fee is extremely hight for her. She has been in contact with the RSPCA and Blue Cross and both will not help her because she is in work and not in receipt of state benefits.

Where can she go from here? Any help would be very much appreciated. This little dog is in a cage in her home unable to walk on the injured leg. Thanks again.

Comments

• Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    I feel sorry for her, but it does make me angry when people buy pups without thinking about the costs and whether or not they can afford Vet bills and Insurance. This is a classic case of why Insurance is worth getting.
  • hflower74
    hflower74 Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What about the PDSA has she tried them?
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure how this works, but I believe there is "temporary" pet insurance.

When I took my dog for a test this week the nurse asked me if my pooch was insured, I answered yes so she said nothing more. However, she went off to fetch the vet to give my dog the once over and I noticed she had left a form for free temporary insurance on the table (I imagine you would be obliged to buy an annual policy, I don't know).

Presumably if my pet hadn't been insured she was going to suggest I opt for this. It might be worth asking about.
    :wave:
  • hflower74
    hflower74 Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Heres a link

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/eligibility.html

Does she get Housing Benefit?

PDSA can only register clients who are in receipt of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit (Council Tax exemptions are not the same as Council Tax Benefit and do not qualify).
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Barbiegirl wrote: »
    She called the vet out and he did an xray and bloodtests. This cost her £500.00. The vet has said that the dog will need an operation on his leg at a cost of £2,300.00. However, there are no guarantees!

She is a single parent of three children, works 25 hours a week and earns £6.50 per hour. The dog is a very much loved family pet but she just doesn't have the money to pay for his operation. The vet has also said that if the operation doesn't work his leg will need to be amputated at another cost of £2,500.00.

I know its horrible, but is she sure its £2,500 to have it amputated? Seems a lot for what I thought would be the cheaper option? I would get that price checked again.

Might be an idea to post your area, county at least. Some people might know of animal charities that would help.

I don't have pet insurance for my cat. I figured paying as I need the vets is possibly cheaper, but your post has frightened me. I love my cat, & I would have to get the money, I've had him too long to do anything else. So I may reconsider, I never really though about that £0,000's senerio.

Post your area, someone may know an animal charity that would help.
    If no one will help & she really can't afford it, then perhaps one of the animal charities would take him in, then they will pay to have it done, but at least he won't be in pain.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Why oh why don't people insure their pets! It's not that expensive and it's MORE than worth it! (Says she who's made several claims on 2 out of her 3 pets...)
    As far as what can be done - she could phone the RSPCA and the Dogs trust and ask them if they will take the dog on if she signs it over. I doubt PDSA will take it on as you said she gets no benefits?
    Her only other choice I'm afraid is to put the pup to sleep...
    Sorry if it's harsh but I am a firm believer that if you can't afford a pet and insuring it then you shouldn't get one... I know that might sound horrible but it's something I feel very very strongly about it...
    Hope she manages to sort something for the poor dog!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tine wrote: »
    Why oh why don't people insure their pets! It's not that expensive and it's MORE than worth it! (Says she who's made several claims on 2 out of her 3 pets...)
    As far as what can be done - she could phone the RSPCA and the Dogs trust and ask them if they will take the dog on if she signs it over. I doubt PDSA will take it on as you said she gets no benefits?
    Her only other choice I'm afraid is to put the pup to sleep...
    Sorry if it's harsh but I am a firm believer that if you can't afford a pet and insuring it then you shouldn't get one... I know that might sound horrible but it's something I feel very very strongly about it...
    Hope she manages to sort something for the poor dog!

In all fairness, I consider myself a good cat owner & I don't have insurance.
    But if I had to find that money I would, but it would hurt.
    So I think I will get insurance;)
  • msmicawber
    msmicawber Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm sorry about your poor pup. Is there a Blue Cross near you? If so, contact them as they help out when people can't afford treatment for animals.

Ooops, just saw that you'd mentioned Blue Cross in the first post - I only noticed the RSPCA on first pass. Sorry.
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Ah but you feel you could find the money :)
    And just as a scary thought then my cat was hit by a car and it cost over £1500... can tell you I was thrilled I paid for the top plan for both my moggies costing at the time £11 a month total. I paid £35 excess and the rest was covered - if you go through quidco you can reduce that even further with cashback!
    If I was to save £11 a month it would take me over 11 years to save that amount... Hoping I never have to make another claim on either cat...
    My dog on the other hand has had over £1000 worth of claims from various incidents... they add up! Again her insurance I think is about £8 a month with RSPCA (and got cashback!) with low excess... Again at that rate I would need about 8-10 years to save the same amount and I have no doubt we've not had the last cut paw or other incidents...
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tine wrote: »
    Ah but you feel you could find the money :)
    And just as a scary thought then my cat was hit by a car and it cost over £1500... can tell you I was thrilled I paid for the top plan for both my moggies costing at the time £11 a month total. I paid £35 excess and the rest was covered - if you go through quidco you can reduce that even further with cashback!
    If I was to save £11 a month it would take me over 11 years to save that amount... Hoping I never have to make another claim on either cat...
    My dog on the other hand has had over £1000 worth of claims from various incidents... they add up! Again her insurance I think is about £8 a month with RSPCA (and got cashback!) with low excess... Again at that rate I would need about 8-10 years to save the same amount and I have no doubt we've not had the last cut paw or other incidents...

So can you recommend any insurance companies for a 6 year old persian?
    Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport