Dog needs URGENT OPERATION: Can't afford it

Options

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Barbiegirl wrote: »
    Hi all, my friend has tried all the charities and local rescues but no one will help. I phoned the RSPCA this morning and the lady basically said that because she is in work then they will not help out. I asked her if it was cruelty because he was being confined to a crate/cage because he is injured and she said if I was willing to put in a complaint they would send someone around to investigate? I don't want to do this. I called her at work to inform her that I had tried the RSPCA on her behalf and got nowhere. She also mentioned that he isn't in pain or distress despite not having any pain killers! I have to say now I am confused? Thanks again everyone for your input.

Barbiegirl

I have to say that I'm at a loss to understand why "someone else" should pay. Owning a dog is not a million miles away from having a child - except there is no NHS for dogs. But we all pay for the NHS via our taxes, whilst there is no equivalent to fund healthcare for our pets.

Charities have very specific purposes and means-testing those they help is often one of them. If there were no means-testing, then millionaires would benefit from money donated by those less well off and many of us would find that unacceptable.

Owning a pet - especially a dog - is a privilege and a responsibility. Unfortunately, your friend now has to face the responsibility of deciding this poor dog's fate. And I should mention that having the dog destroyed usually costs money too.

Has she sought a second opinion from another vet yet? That must be her priority. Whilst I own dogs, I've not had to face the cost of an amputation, but £2.5k seems excessive to me. At the very least, get the dog to another local vet - and soon. The longer this is left the more difficult and more expensive it will be to fix.

She needs to talk to the vets about payment in instalments, or by credit card. And that might be the case if the dog is to be destroyed :o:(

I'm sorry to appear harsh, but this is something that pet owners have to address - preferably, before they commit to the responsiblity of caring for a defenceless animal, before they acquire it. It's a hard lesson to learn ... and a hard way to learn it. The other lesson to be learned is that animals need to be contained and supervised ... they have wild, natural instincts and most will "escape" unless the owner takes adequate measures to minimise this risk.

A very sad tale. Let us know what happens.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Karensteps
    Karensteps Posts: 834 Forumite
    Options
    I don't trust the SSPCA, my Uncle found a baby badger with a hurt foot at the side of the road...He called them up "Oh we can't do anything about"
    Another relative found a nest of birds on the ground (Kids probably took it down for fun) phoned them up and was berated over the phone for taking the birds in saying the mother would of went back....which she wouldn't off.

Don't know if RSPCA are the same, but I have heard some storys.

About the dog, I think it's a crying shame, the poor animal, why won't the woman just put it into a shelter? She obviously can't afford to look after it, and it's going to end up with a gammy leg because of her, which will probably affect it's chances of being rehomed. Poor thing!
    Win £2008 in 2008 no #49 £601.91/£2008
    Latest win - Cashmere scarf :j

Murphys no more pies club member
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Having just had my much loved dog put to sleep this afternoon i am so upset about this..It has cost just £32 .This would be much kinder on the poor dog than keeping it in a cage,and it MUST be in pain, i don't care what the stupid woman says,of course it is.

I have spent an absolute fortune on medication and check ups for her this last 3 years and would go hungry myself rather than let her suffer if i hadn't the funds.People like her should never own a dog again and certainly should not berrate animal charities for not contributing,they are funded by people such as myself and other obvious animal lovers on here for the animals who are cruelly treated,or have no owner,or are wild,not poeple who find £10 a month for things other than insurance.

I would give anything to have my lovely Jess back today and am feeling very emotional. :cry:
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    How do you know what is said here is true and you on the strength of a post on a forum are damming the whole of the RSPCA. This is hearsay, as I must point out is the whole of this thread, think on it carefully.

Probably because we have heard so many times of how the RSPCA have let done some animals. If they really truely cared about the cruelty to animals then they would have told Barbiegirl on the phone that they would go and see the owner and dog themselves to give the dog a check over and if they thought the dog was in distress then they would take the dog from her. What harm would a visit from them come to? :confused:
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kimberley wrote: »
    Probably because we have heard so many times of how the RSPCA have let done some animals. If they really truely cared about the cruelty to animals then they would have told Barbiegirl on the phone that they would go and see the owner and dog themselves to give the dog a check over and if they thought the dog was in distress then they would take the dog from her. What harm would a visit from them come to? :confused:

In fact the RSPCA did tell the OP if she put in a complaint they would go and see the dog but she declined to do this.
  • Barbiegirl_2
    Options
    UKTigerLily - Just to reiterate again: The RSPCA do not want to know about the dog even thought it is suffering! They told me in plain english that they will not help her UNLESS I or anyone else were to complain to them they will then look into an investigation. This may take a few weeks!!!!!!!!
  • greenmoneysaver_2
    Options
    Thanks Sunnyday and Debtfreechick - support is good!

The local RSPCA centres (which is what will be in Cambs, there are only 4 centrally funded hosps, London, Brum nd Manc) can only help where funds allow and set their own criteris, so all differ.

To answer a few of the queries
    1 - the dog may be in minimal pain as if it is a simple fracture cage rest and a supprt bandage will help alot more than we relaise
    2 - puppies bones grow fast, so amp may now be the only option
    3 - I feel for this lady and her family and dog, but as a full-time qualified Vet Nurse with a partner on decent money I STILL DON'T HAVE A DOG as it would push us to the limit, as we have 2 high maintenance cats(£800 vet billin last 2 weeks for 1 cat)
    4 - WHY should the charities have to pick up the bill again? it is unfortunate that she is not closer to other help - but did she not look into this before geting a puppy?
    5_ for those changing donations to Dogs Trust etc - THEY WON'T HELP WITH VETS BILLS! ONLY RSPCA, PDSA and BLUE CROSS help with these, the other will just sign over and rehome.
    6 - Dogs Trust will do rehoming for older chronically ill animals where they cove rhte vet bills - excellent for someone in this situation

I do hope all goes well, but as a friend Barbie you may need to be her advice line for unemotional advice, as she is attached to the dog and needs someone with a clear head to tell her the best course of action. Try to imagine if you read about this in the paper andit wasn't your friend - what advice would you give??
    Give yourself a Chistmas bonus £14 a week!
    Total so far £28
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    In fact the RSPCA did tell the OP if she put in a complaint they would go and see the dog but she declined to do this.

Considering the dogs condition which has been for many days now, the RSPCA should go and check on the dog regardless, this is what i would do if i worked for them.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kimberley wrote: »
    Considering the dogs condition which has been for many days now, the RSPCA should go and check on the dog regardless, this is what i would do if i worked for them.

Absolutely but is the OP giving them an address to go to!
  • emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    Options
    Hi just wanted to jump in here. I am sure greenmoneysaver will agree as a qualified VN as well..........
    this situation is more commmon then any of us would hope for. The number of animals I nursed post RTA that then had to be put down due to vets fees was incredible. In a very bad way.
    I collect my new doggie tomorrow (hurrah!) and first on my list of things to do will be to get a vet check and insurance. I have been in a physical position to own a dog for about 12 months, but have waited until I can afford what I call the basics-food, vaccs, flea/worm and insurance. I urge others to wait and do the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure