Dog needs URGENT OPERATION: Can't afford it

Options

Comments

• Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »
    So can you recommend any insurance companies for a 6 year old persian?
    Thank you

Your being unfair on tine, i agree with her, if you cannot afford Vet fees then you shouldn't get a pet. There was something in the media not long ago about how many people buy pups without thinking about the costs of vet fees, insurance, flea treatment etc because they buy a pup on impulse. If i were to buy a pup i'd make sure i do a budget check instead to see what money i have left after all my expenditure and see if i'd be willing to pay out on ever increasing Vet fees. Also this ladies dog is 10 months old not 8 years and could have quite easily got insurance from when the dog was 6 weeks old.
  • lisa78
    lisa78 Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would her vet allow her to pay the bill in installments? Can she phone around other vets in the area? I know there are sometimes HUGE differences in prices quoted. May even be worth phoing out of the area (20 min drive) away and see if the prices work out cheaper. I know its a hard thing for her to be going through but she needs to sort something out ASAP as the dog is probably in quite a lot of pain.
    Thankyou to all the posters of competitions :beer:
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kimberley wrote: »
    Your being unfair on tine, i agree with her, if you cannot afford Vet fees then you shouldn't get a pet. There was something in the media not long ago about how many people buy pups without thinking about the costs of vet fees, insurance, flea treatment etc because they buy a pup on impulse. If i were to buy a pup i'd make sure i do a budget check instead to see what money i have left after all my expenditure and see if i'd be willing to pay out on ever increasing Vet fees. Also this ladies dog is 10 months old not 8 years and could have quite easily got insurance from when the dog was 6 weeks old.

Im at a loss with this:confused:

How am I being unfair on Tine:confused:

I asked her recommendation as she uses cat vet bills insurers:confused:

I can afford vet bills. I never said I couldn't.

And I gave a cat, not a dog anyway.
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lisa78 wrote: »
    Would her vet allow her to pay the bill in installments? Can she phone around other vets in the area? I know there are sometimes HUGE differences in prices quoted. May even be worth phoing out of the area (20 min drive) away and see if the prices work out cheaper. I know its a hard thing for her to be going through but she needs to sort something out ASAP as the dog is probably in quite a lot of pain.

Yes, do this.

2 vets in the nearest town. One charges £40 for the cat vax booster, the other £52. Same vax:mad:
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cat vax

You have to carpet clean cats!?

*ahem* taxi!
  • leoetal19
    leoetal19 Posts: 446 Forumite
    Options
    its one of those 'u never think it'll happen to you moments'-we dont until it happens- i pay £35 a month to insure 4 cats because i know i would re-mortgage the house if they were hurt.
    the insurers wont cover this injury on any 'temporary' basis-thats 6 weeks free insurane u get but on the condition there are no pre-existing illness or injuries
    so she has stark choices
    give he animal over to the rspca-they will have to make any dcisions/sort treatment
    beg the pdsa for help
    negotiate with vet to pay over a longer period
    i would hope she wouldnt choose the worst option of having the dog destroyed (would never be an option to me)

but if you are reading this and have a pet GET THEM INSURED
    even god cant change the past-no matter how many times i cry
    for levi, leo, smudge and arfa:A my angels
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    You have to carpet clean cats!?

*ahem* taxi!

Mine is a walking hairy rug anyway:rotfl: :rotfl:

No, I get him washed, cut & blow dried at the kitty hairdressers:D
  • blossom30
    blossom30 Posts: 691 Forumite
    Options
    Hi barbiegirl, sorry to hear of the wee dogs predicament. It is so sad how these accidents happen and the owners are hit with high medical bills, not to forget the V.A.T the government adds on to the bill....a tax on sick animals.
    I have to disagree with the posters who say you should take insurance on your pets. I had 3 cats 2 of my girls lived for 17 and a half years and my tom cat lived for 14 years. They only required treatment for the final stages of their lives. in fact the tom cat passed away very quickly with only £16 cost for putting him to sleep. My 2 girls struggled over their final 6 monthswith kidney/ liver problems which happens a lot with geriatric cats.
    Anyway, the overall costs with tests and treatment I estimate to be about £1500 but this was spread over a year. If I had paid say £8 per cat per month i.e £24 per month over 14 years for the tom and 17 years for both females then the overall cost to me would have been £4008. A lot depends on individual circumstances.So no one should sit in judgement here. shrewdal
    I really hope the wee dog gets well.
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    shrewdal wrote: »
    Hi barbiegirl, sorry to hear of the wee dogs predicament. It is so sad how these accidents happen and the owners are hit with high medical bills, not to forget the V.A.T the government adds on to the bill....a tax on sick animals.
    I have to disagree with the posters who say you should take insurance on your pets. I had 3 cats 2 of my girls lived for 17 and a half years and my tom cat lived for 14 years. They only required treatment for the final stages of their lives. in fact the tom cat passed away very quickly with only £16 cost for putting him to sleep. My 2 girls struggled over their final 6 monthswith kidney/ liver problems which happens a lot with geriatric cats.
    Anyway, the overall costs with tests and treatment I estimate to be about £1500 but this was spread over a year. If I had paid say £8 per cat per month i.e £24 per month over 14 years for the tom and 17 years for both females then the overall cost to me would have been £4008. A lot depends on individual circumstances.So no one should sit in judgement here. shrewdal
    I really hope the wee dog gets well.

Thats how I do it.

BUT I have to say this post brought home to me the reality of facing a £2,300 bills possibly followed quicky by a £2,500 after shelling out £500 already. So £5,300:eek: :eek: :eek: at once!!!

In this case pet insurance would save a fortune & a lot of heartache.
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    Im at a loss with this:confused:

How am I being unfair on Tine:confused:

I asked her recommendation as she uses cat vet bills insurers:confused:

I can afford vet bills. I never said I couldn't.

And I gave a cat, not a dog anyway.

Ignore me i've had a crap couple of days and i've been taking it out on some of you :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure