Dog needs URGENT OPERATION: Can't afford it

Options

Comments

• asea
    asea Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    I assume that the dog is in a lot of pain. If so I would call the RSPCA & report it as it's unfair that the dog should suffer. Can your friend not take out a loan? If she can't afford to have the dog & to pay for it's treatment can she not do the decent thing & give the dog to a place that CAN look after it?

To be honest, with respect to what you said about it being unfair about her not being helped by the charities. I don't think it's fair on the charity to be honest, not your friend. She shouldn't have gotten an animal if she couldn't insure it. Now the poor creature is in pain in her kitchen & not receiving proper care - how unfair & irresponsible is that? Poor dog
    nothing to see here, move along...
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As much as it hurts to even suggest it,it would be kinder on this poor dog to have it put to sleep than suffering in a cage just because of lack of money.The RSPCA could prosecute for leaving it in pain and doing nothing!!

What hurts more than anything is that tomorrow we have to take our very much loved,very elderly dog,to the vets on a one way journey.She is 15 and has various problems that ,in the end,no amount of medication and money can cure.We cannot bear to think of her going on suffering so we have made the decision.I can't sleep or eat,i am dreading tomorrow,yet for her,and the vet agrees,it is the right choice.So for a young dog it is a tragedy it has come to that,but there can be no choice it cannot stay in acgae with a broken leg for gods sake.
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    The poor dog, how can she leave him in the crate in that state? If she isn't careful the broken leg will set as it is and the dog could end up crippled. Tell the RSPCA her situation and tell them that because she cannot afford treatment for the poor animal then it is suffering. It is the duty of the RSPCA to ensure no animal is suffering and hopefully they will take this dog away from the owner and give it the treatment it needs. What she is doing is neglect and very cruel. Would she sit in her house for days with a broken leg? No i don't think she would.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It certainly is very unfair, on the dog. You posted on Friday night that your friend had called the Vet out any call out charge is going to be high and especially at a w/end. It cost me £90 to take my cat at night to the actual vets but as that was some years ago I'd imagine it would be several hundred pounds now.

I assume the vet was quoting figures for treating the dog there and then, once again over a w/end you are talking big money, been there and paid the bill.

If she does nothing else, get her to phone round vets and check and see if they can treat the dog cheaper.
  • ANGLICANPAT
    ANGLICANPAT Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely if the dog was in pain, the vet would have prescribed pain meds . Your friend presumably could have afforded those at least whilst deciding?
    If the dog had been in acute pain , I cant imagine any vet allowing it out of the surgery untreated. We had a case like that where I once worked on reception , the girl balked at the cost , said no way could she afford treatment, and went to remove the dog from the table saying shed treat it herself , smashed paw and all. The vet said the dog either stayied there, or he would contact the RSPCA to follow it up. In the end , client went away and rang back to say shed borrowed the money.
  • asea
    asea Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    If she doesn't do anything about it other than leave the poor dog in a cage, I think it is your moral obligation to report her. This poor animal must be in a lot of pain & you need to do something if you know that it is being neglected & not receiving the medical care that it needs. None of us know where this dog is or how it can be helped but you do. Sometimes you have to put what is right before friendships. She has options but is choosing to leave the dog in a cage which is very cruel. You have options too & I hope that you make the right choice & do what is right for this poor dog.
    nothing to see here, move along...
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many many years ago, as a young mother, I had two cats who were not insured, only because I had never even heard of pet insurance. One cat ran into a busy main road and was knocked down and fractured her pelvis. The vet said he could operate but was pessimistic about the outcome, and anyway it was going to be several hundred pounds - I was on £2000 a year then, so equivalent to about 4 month's income. He recommended having her put down, and frankly I had no choice.

I had no pets for years until last year when a delightful black mog adopted me. I have a lifetime insurance with M&S for him, it costs £6 a month. If I never have to use it I will be delighted - it is worth it for the peace of mind knowing that I will never be faced with the terrible decision of having to consider finances if he needs treatment.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Barbiegirl_2
    Options
    Hi, it looks like I forgot to mention that she takes the dog out of the cage outside regularly for the toilet. She has been going home during work to do this aswell. I have asked if I could pop around sometime this week to see him. It will have to be one evening when my husband is home because I had a C-section two weeks ago and recovery is very slow.

I will phone the RSPCA as one poster suggested and explain that because of the lack of money the poor dog is in pain and if treatment is not fortchcoming then the bones in his leg will start to gel together in the wrong way and he will be crippled : (. This makes me very sad also. Will keep you updated.
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    Barbiegirl wrote: »

I will phone the RSPCA as one poster suggested and explain that because of the lack of money the poor dog is in pain and if treatment is not fortchcoming then the bones in his leg will start to gel together in the wrong way and he will be crippled : (. This makes me very sad also. Will keep you updated.

Do let us know what they say. Surely the owner can afford pain killers in the meantime.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Barbiegirl wrote: »
    Hi, it looks like I forgot to mention that she takes the dog out of the cage outside regularly for the toilet. She has been going home during work to do this aswell. I have asked if I could pop around sometime this week to see him. It will have to be one evening when my husband is home because I had a C-section two weeks ago and recovery is very slow.

The dog has now been in pain and is suffering since the accident 4 days ago.
    It seems to me the time has come for your friend to tell the RSPCA she can't afford the medical treatment it needs and will they please come and take it away. They may put it down, they may not, but clearly common decency dictates that the animal can no longer be left in this cruel and inhumane situation.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure