O2 New Retention Tariff Discount 500 / Discount 750

Options

Comments

• mark2311
    mark2311 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    its the online off peak 500 for £20. basically my text usage has increased significantly and phone calls just a bit. i only used to go maximum of 5 pounds over but now my bills have been between 40-50 pounds which isn't so good. is there any way to change over to a new tariff? what would be the charge to cancel the contract?
  • benbfc
    benbfc Posts: 263 Forumite
    Options
    hi all my contract comes up on oct 10th, i have a nokia 3230 that was free.

i am currently on --- 400 anytime minutes, 1000 texts for £30 a month, now my bill this year has been about £30 a month apart from when i went abroad, i probably now only need 500 texts and 200 mins, so if i ring up does anyone know whether it will be worth me downgrading - i.e if it costs me £25 a month its not worth it.

o2employee or anyone's views would be great.

regards

ben
  • infiniti
    infiniti Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Hi o2 employee thanks for the reply.

I think I'm a retail customer as opposed to business.

The 33.80 price included the 20% discount.

Have been thinking and will probably take the deal if data and/or texts can be bumped up. I also have reconsidered the ohone I want having just been given a P990 by work am thinking to get a Nokia sirocco for myself - is this available on o2 and will retentions change the phone to that?

Really appreciate your help.

Thanks
  • Beduffshirl
    Options
    Im on online 400 with 1000 texts for 45 quid a month - contract up in a week or so. What deal should I be able to get - deffo don't want to lose anything - not sure which phone i should go for - had a W800i for the last year and quite enjoyed having the music
  • o2employee
    Options
    I'll try and cover everything here...

Mark2311 - You are on the O2 Online Offpeak 500 for £20pcm. That gives you 500 texts to use every month. The only choice you have here is to purchase a bolt on to reduce the cost of your extra texts. (100 bolt on = £5pcm, 200 bolt on = £9). Sounds like you are getting £5 off a month. This would still apply if you moved tariffs, to say, the O2 Online 500 which gives you 500 Crossnetork Minutes for £35 (or £30 in your case).
    Call customer services and discuss the tariff options. They will recommend any appropriate bolt ons for you. In terms of cancelling your contract, you said you are 2 months in? Well you'd have to pay the remaining line rental AND the reduction wouldn't work when you get term fees i.e your term fees will be 10 x £25pcm not £20pcm. This is an expensive option.

Benbfc.
    Sounds like you are currently getting £15 off your line rental every month (The O2 online 400 @ £45pcm reduced to £30).
    You can ask for this to be extended OR you can move your tariff to the O2 Online 200 (200 mins and 500 texts) and ask to retain your £15 off a month. This is something we do regularly so don't be afraid to ask.
    One thing I will say is that the tariff you are on, 400 mins and 1000 texts, we don't do anymore so once you move off it, you cant go back on it. So choose wisely. £30pcm isnt bad at all for what your getting.

Infiniti
    Right.... This is where things get hard with O2 Retention. We are currently targeted on the average cost of the handset that we send out to a customer. This makes business sense so as to reduce the cost to the business of the upgrades we do every year.
    SO... When you call to upgrade, it is one of the Advisors roles to 'cross sell' to a cheaper handset. I don't think this is necessarily bad, it's a sign of our sales ability and our ability to match a handset to a customers requirements.
    BUT, the Nokia 8800 Sirocco is the most expensive handset available. If you spend over £100 a month, you can have it FOC. But every advisor in there is going to try their hardest not to give it you. Persistance normally works.
    To give you some kind of idea, the price that we have for the Sirocco is FOUR TIMES that of the Subsidy target for a Retention advisor. It can wreck someones sales figures.
    BUT, you've already been offered the P990, the person who offered you that probably could tell you werent going to order it there and then.
    One of the big drives at the moment in O2 is for 'subs avoidance'. Advisors making attempts to avoid the hot on their figures for an expensive handsets.
    So if you want that, be strong and ensure that it is ordered for you.
    I think we had a delayed release date of 4/10 I think? I can guarantee that we will get that date pushed back and back and back.
    Good luck trying to get that elusive handset ;)

Beduffshirl
    The tariff you are on is good. Its the 12 month option.
    I would recommend a move to the O2 Online 500 18 month texter option - 750 mins and 750 texts for £35pcm. Depends if you want an 18 month contract or not. With a £45 spend, you should be ok when it comes to choice of handsets. The W800i is a top phone, still is, and theres not MUCH out there to rival it. Have a look at the W810i or the K800i. I know that on a £45 spend, these would be chargeable. If your spend is £50 and over, then they are FOC. Check your bills to see.

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT ALL THIS INFORMATION IS FOR O2 DIRECT. IF YOUR ACCOUNT IS MANAGED BY CARPHONE WAREHOUSE OR ANY OTHER THIRD PARTY, THEN THEIR RETENTION RULES CAN BE DIFFERENT.

I hope this covers everything?
    Should O2 pay me for this service???
  • Nostromo
    Nostromo Posts: 430 Forumite
    Options
    The online 50 tariff has been ditched by 02 over the weekend.Minimum spend per month is now £25 unless you go through a cashback scheme.
  • flagpole
    flagpole Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    I've noticed O2 doing a couple of things recently.

Mostly they try to give you a lot of minutes OR a lot of texts, but not both, knowing that you'll use more of one or the other.

they phoned up a friend of mine and offered her 600 minutes + free weekends + 100 texts + NO handset for around £28pcm

ofcourse she sends a couple of hundred texts a month and so would have been spending quite a lot. an extra £10 for the texts at least. and ofcourse she'd never use that many minutes.

She accepted this too. They always make it sound like it's a one time offer, and you must decide then and there.

She canceled this under the 14 day rule.

went back got 500 minute + 500 texts + E780 for £25

perfect. although i do have a friend who got 750+750+E900 for £20, but there we go.
  • fraser
    fraser Posts: 277 Forumite
    Options
    just resigned for another year with the 100 pound credit (9/10 months line rental free for me)

happy with my existing tarriff @10 per month

sim only, unlimited texts and offpeak minutes to o2 handsets and landlines :)
  • o2employee
    Options
    fraser wrote:
    just resigned for another year with the 100 pound credit (9/10 months line rental free for me)

happy with my existing tarriff @10 per month

sim only, unlimited texts and offpeak minutes to o2 handsets and landlines :)

That's a very old tariff you are on. There are people out there would kill for it haha.
  • fraser
    fraser Posts: 277 Forumite
    Options
    o2employee wrote:
    That's a very old tariff you are on. There are people out there would kill for it haha.

agreed - shes a beauty of a tariff :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport