PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• coco2972
    Options
    Yes it was frozen as soon as I bought it and is now raw. The only concern that I had was it being so close to its BBE date when it was frozen. I couldn't have kept it 2 days when I bought it.

I thought that you couldn't double freeze meat, or does that just apply to it raw?
    Light Bulb Moment 01 May 2007
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It applys to raw, you can freeze raw food once, and cooked food once (or so im led to believe!!!)
  • melie3
    melie3 Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    hi all,
    it was my first day back to work yesterday after maternity leave, and hubby cooked too many pots, so ive froze them. how do they taste as never done this before. do i thaw them out before i reheat???

many thanks
    mel
  • lazy_daisy
    Options
    I've tried this and it works fine, they taste good and MUCH better than the bought frozen ones. It is best to thaw them first or they won't heat evenly and may still be cold in the middle.
    HTH
    Love,
    Daisy x
    Up Jacob's Creek without a paddle!
  • Juliav_2
    Options
    My hubbie loves eggs benedict and I would love to surprise him with breakfast in bed.

I am using the receipe below but would love to know if this can freeze. I want to make up a big batch and then keep it?

Will it keep refrigerated for long?

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2438/basic-hollandaise
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The page in the link (which has a number of recipes and tips) says that you can:-

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=165019

I'll add this post onto our Quick Questions on Freezing thread shortly.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Jay1_2
    Jay1_2 Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm always running out of fruit and veg (the alternative would be wasting loads as I live by myself and am not a very healthy eater) so end up with baked beans or frozen peas with my tea.

So my question is what is easy to fill up my freezer with. Preferably stuff that can be used from frozen and as little preparation as possible please, peeling a carrot is a lot of effort for me (not ill or anything, just very lazy - I might as well be truthful...)
    Toodle-pip :hello:
  • Churchmouse
    Options
    Well anything you want to freeze is going to take some effort, it just depends what you want to do/achieve.

Vegetables for long term storage in a freezer will normally require blanching before freezing. But if you want base veggies for bolognaise, chili, soups casseroles etc you couldn't do better than thriftlady's idea HERE. There's no need to blanch the veggies, they're all just chopped/processed just as they are. A great way to utilise anything past it's best, or just to bulk prepare for advance use. It doesn't really take any longer to process 4 carrots than one, and the chopping device needs the same amount of cleaning:rotfl:

I'm afraid I don't have a magic answer for getting veg into the freezer without some effort, sorry:D
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    I've peeled, cooked and mashed up batches of carrot and swede. Then put into individual portion containers (or could use those small 'buttybags' with tie closures) and just freeze them. Take them out, one at a time, to use when needed. Could be left to defrost in the fridge while out at work and then put into the microwave to warm up again thoroughly. Or you could just prepare loads of carrots in one go, blanche them (put into boiling water for about 3 - 5 mins), drain and cool quickly in very cold water. Drain again and then put individual portions into small bags for freezing. You could then just add those to a pan of boiling water when you're ready to use them (as you would with supermarket bought frozen veg) - or add them to a casserole.

Lots of advice on the internet - check this one out:

http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/tipstechniques/vegetables/freezing.asp
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    From the listings under "Freezing" in The Complete Cooking Collection

- Cooking for the freezer... Help!
    - Cooking meals for the Freezer
    - Cooking for the freezer - vegetarian

Lots of ideas in those, and for any individual items that you have - check the Collection first because there are lots of foods listed separately there.

HTH :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family