PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for the Freezer..

Comments

• greenlogo
    greenlogo Posts: 231 Forumite
    KAMRAY wrote:
    I always make sure my freezer is stacked up with homemade mince samosas and veg samosas

mmh, these sound yummy - do you have a recipie that freezes well and doesn't go soggy? (please! :D )
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
  • KAMRAY
    KAMRAY Posts: 57 Forumite
    INGREDIENTS FOR FILLING :

1kg mince
    1inch cube of ginger root grated
    4 cloves of garlic grated
    2 medium onions chopped

(for measuring spices for 1kg meat I use one level baby formula scoop, but a heaped teaspoon should be roughly the same)
    1 scoop of each - salt, chilli powder, whole cumin seeds, ground coriander, paprika.

Fry all the ingredients together in pot on medium heat for approx 40 minutes without any oil. Turn up the heat near the end of the cooking time to ensure that all water in meat has evaporated and that you have a fairly dry mixture. Add some fresh chopped coriander and a level teaspoon of garam masala. Set aside and allow to cool.

You can also add some frozen peas or some diced boiled potatoes to mixture if desired. If not HOT (SPICY) enough add a few chopped green chillies.

INGREDIENTS FOR PASTRY :

500g plain flour
    125g butter
    175ml of warm milk

Put flour in a bowl and rub in the butter. Mix in the milk gradually to form a dough. Form the dough into small balls, flatten the ball in the palms of your hands, dip in plain flour and roll out quite thinly. I normally place a side plate on the dough and cut round it then cut the circle into two halves. Repeat until all the dough is used up. Make a sticky mixture using flour and water. Make each half of dough into a cone shape using sticky mixture to seal the sides together. Scoop in filling and seal the top of cone using sticky mixture again. Repeat until you run out of pastry/filling.

Once all the samosas are ready I normally partly fry then in batches in the deep fat fryer at 180 degrees for about 10 secs a batch and then allow them to cool completely. I do this to prevent them from sticking together when you put them in a carrier bag to freeze.

When you bring them out of freezer either allow them to defrost at room temperature for a few hours or defost them in microwave for few minutes before deep frying them again until they are golden brown.

FOR VEG SAMOSAS, fry the onions along with a few chopped leeks and spring onions in a little oil until brown, add the spices (about 3/4 of a scoop of each) and fry for a few minutes. Do not use garlic or ginger in the veg samosas. Then add approx 1 kilo of veg - a mixture of boiled diced potatoes, frozen peas and sweetcorn. Add some fresh chopped coriander and a level teaspoon of garam masala and allow to cool.

It sounds more complicated than it actually it can be time consuming to make. Try if poss to get someone to help at the filling stage ie) you roll out the the samosa halves while someone else fills them. GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY:D .
    Tayyibah
  • greenlogo
    they sound absolutely fantastic :D - thank you!
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
  • debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    Thanks KAMRAY they do sound good have to give these a try :D
    Unfortunately my deep fat fryer has just given up the ghost so maybe next month if I can save enough for a new one.....
  • greenlogo
    Actually, do you think these would work in a "deeper" shallow fry? I don't have my DFF at the moment but I don't want to wait to make them :D
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm pretty sure I've seen the chefs on tv frying up stuff like this in 2-3" inches of oil in a deep wok, so can't see why not :confused:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• greenlogo
    cheers Curry_queen :D , I think I've a plan for next friday night then...
  • KAMRAY
    KAMRAY Posts: 57 Forumite
    Yes they would still work this way. I just deep fry them for speed.
    Tayyibah
  • lucym
    lucym Posts: 431 Forumite
    I have just bought a chest freezer on Ebay. The idea is that we spend a weekend cooking for the month – hopefully saving money by buying up meat deals, freezing in meal size portions (rather than pigging it all at one meal) and not needing to buy takeaways when we don’t feel like cooking.

Does anyone do this?

Is it best to do things that I can reheat in the microwave?

Can I freeze homemade pizza and should it be frozen uncooked?

What about bread (dough), cakes and biscuits/biscuit dough?

What about pasta and rice?

Any tips/recipes gratefully received!

There are six of us altogether (one vegetarian).
  • Yoga_Girl
    Yoga_Girl Posts: 888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have successfully frozen cooked homemade pizza, we wrap in in kitchen foil and freeze individual slices, you can just pop them frozen in a hot oven to defrost & re-heat.

We freeze lots of sauce based dishes, eg bolognaise, chilli, lentil sauces, curry, these are so easy to defrost and heat up and can be served with anything (baked potato, rice, pasta, salad). We don't normally bother freezing the pasta, just freeze the sauce then decide what we want to eat with it and cook that while we re-heat the sauce.

Have also frozen home-made bean-burgers.

We also use our freezer for bread (snap up the reduced items and bung them in the freezer) and also in the summer we have a lot of veg ( home-grown thanks to mum's allotment!) which can be blanched and put into freezer bags.

Having some "ready-meals" (cheap home-made versions of course!) in the freezer is so handy, you can whip them out the night before to defrost then you've got a lovely home cooked meal waiting for you the next night.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure