PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• Jay1_2
    Jay1_2 Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for these. I'm just gonna have to pull myslef together and DO SOMETHING aren't I (a bit of effort now to save effort later - I know:rolleyes2 ) . But really good idea about veg for stews.
    Toodle-pip :hello:
  • Bollards
    Bollards Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,
    I have just made jam tarts and it was a faff making the pastry, so could I make up loads of pastry and freeze it raw, then take it out of the freezer as required, roll it and do whatever before baking it, or do I have to make pie cases or things like that, cook them and then freeze them? I've had a quick look through this thread and can't see the exact answer.
    Thanks
    x
  • danz0l
    danz0l Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    Hopefully this has a simple solution.

When i freeze things like carrots etc (diced or sliced) they all stick into one huge lump after time. I noticed if i bought frozen from tesco they don't so my question is how do you stop them doing this ?
    A male chef of 4. My restaurant is always full and i don't need to tout for business.
    OK OK
    I'm a house husband but it did sound better my way :beer:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bollards wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have just made jam tarts and it was a faff making the pastry, so could I make up loads of pastry and freeze it raw, then take it out of the freezer as required, roll it and do whatever before baking it, or do I have to make pie cases or things like that, cook them and then freeze them? I've had a quick look through this thread and can't see the exact answer.
    Thanks
    x

Actually, you can do either. :)

You can freeze the pastry - or makes the tarts in one big cooking session and freeze them.

One cooking session is more economical than several single ones.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    danz0l wrote: »
    Hopefully this has a simple solution.

When i freeze things like carrots etc (diced or sliced) they all stick into one huge lump after time. I noticed if i bought frozen from tesco they don't so my question is how do you stop them doing this ?

Just lay them out on a baking tray and freeze them, then put them in a well sealed bag or container.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • danz0l
    Options
    squeaky wrote: »
    Just lay them out on a baking tray and freeze them, then put them in a well sealed bag or container.

Thanks Squeaky i thought that was the best way. Sometimes hard though when you have a freezer full of stuff :)
    A male chef of 4. My restaurant is always full and i don't need to tout for business.
    OK OK
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry, popping round to organise someone's freezer for them is outside my Board Guide's remit :)
  • danz0l
    Options
    squeaky wrote: »
    Sorry, popping round to organise someone's freezer for them is outside my Board Guide's remit :)

Well it was worth a try :A
    OK OK
  • katiesmummy
    katiesmummy Posts: 1,245 Forumite
    Options
    can you freeze skimmed milk? how long is it ok to freeze for?
    thanks!
    2011- new year, new start.

January 2011 g/c- £150
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    can you freeze skimmed milk? how long is it ok to freeze for?
    thanks!

Hi Katiesmummy,

I have never frozen skimmed milk, but according to this post you can.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family