PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options
1190191192193194196»

Comments

• buddiebabe
    buddiebabe Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you both for the replies will give it a try x
    DEBT OUTSTANDING 23.04.17 £16802.97
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Went to get some kidney today for steak & kidney pie. Usually I get the pre-packed stuff and use it all, but all they had today was on the fresh meat counter. Good news, it's British & not previously frozen, so when asked how much, I took the whole tray. No need to postpone next time when no local shops have any.:)

Now I'm wondering the best way to freeze them. Should I just freeze them whole, or would it be best to chop them up first so they're ready to use when I defrost them?
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,795 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VoucherMan wrote: »

Now I'm wondering the best way to freeze them. Should I just freeze them whole, or would it be best to chop them up first so they're ready to use when I defrost them?

Well you've kind of answered your own question. If you've time, freeze them prepped then they're ready to go -and freeze them in the appropriate quantities for use.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,795 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think the only thing you can't freeze is fresh(ish) vegetables, flour, tinned stuff (obviously), bread rolls can be a bit hard after freezing but not bread, basically everything especially meat and chicken etc

I freeze bags of flour, wrapped - to kill flour weevils before they take hold IF I have freezer room!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    Well you've kind of answered your own question. If you've time, freeze them prepped then they're ready to go -and freeze them in the appropriate quantities for use.

Thanks, it probably is a basic situation to many here on o/s, but I know some foods are better prepped in certain ways. I wouldn't normally have bothered, but kidney is often hard to find these days.

So freezing meat in smaller pieces vs larger ones, in particular, with offal, won't affect the quality?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure