PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In addition to the minced meat dishes already mentioned, if the OP needs them to use up their minced meat mountain, I have recipes for a minced meat curry (keema) and a minced meat roll (imagine a mutant sausage roll).
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • Swans1912
    Swans1912 Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    Options
    Steve059 wrote: »
    In addition to the minced meat dishes already mentioned, if the OP needs them to use up their minced meat mountain, I have recipes for a minced meat curry (keema) and a minced meat roll (imagine a mutant sausage roll).

ooh yes please!!!

Thanks everyone. I will put a big batch of chilli in the slow cooker tomorrow to start off :)
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't. I'd maybe refreeze a half defrosted joint, but no way would I re-freeze something that has been minced, not with all the opportunity for the introduction of bacteria that involves.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Steve059
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    iKennett wrote: »
    ooh yes please!!!<snip>

MINCED MEAT CURRY (KEEMA)

INGREDIENTS

1 clove of garlic
    2cm (1 inch) piece of fresh ginger
    2 onions
    2 tablespoons of oil
    375g of minced meat
    200g (½ a 400g tin) of chopped tomatoes
    ½ a teaspoon of chilli powder
    1 tablespoon of garam masala
    ½ a teaspoon of ground turmeric
    250ml of water

METHOD

Peel the garlic and chop it into tiny pieces. Peel the ginger and chop it into tiny pieces. Peel the onions and chop them into tiny pieces.

Put the oil into a saucepan on a low heat. Add the garlic, ginger and onions. Fry for 3 minutes until it is soft. Stir frequently to stop it sticking.

Add the meat. Mix thoroughly. Fry for 5 minutes until the meat has broken up and is an even colour, with no pink bits. Stir frequently to stop it sticking.

Add the tomatoes, chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric and water. Stir thoroughly.

Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat until it is just boiling. Put the lid on the saucepan and cook for 30 minutes, until the sauce has reduced.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

Use minced beef, lamb, pork or turkey. If you use pork or turkey, add a beef stock cube.

If the pack of meat is a bit less than required, add some finely chopped mushrooms or grated carrot at the same time as the meat.

The quantity of chilli powder above makes for a medium curry. For a hot one, increase this to 1 teaspoon. For a mild one, decrease this to ¼ of a teaspoon and add 100ml (½ a 200ml pot) of yoghurt 5 minutes before the end of cooking.

For Mince & Potato Curry (Keema Aloo) add 100g of diced potato. For Mince & Pea Curry (Keema Matar), add 50g of peas. For Mince, Potato & Pea Curry (Keema Aloo Matar), add 100g of diced potato and 50g of peas.
  • Steve059
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MINCED MEAT ROLL

INGREDIENTS

1 sheet (½ a packet) of frozen ready rolled puff pastry
    1 slice of bread
    1 clove of garlic
    ½ an onion
    1 tablespoon of parsley
    ¼ of a teaspoon of ground black pepper
    250g of minced meat
    1 egg
    Some milk
    Some oil
    Some more milk

DEFROSTING

Defrost the frozen pastry according to the instructions on the packet.

METHOD

Crumble the bread into breadcrumbs. Peel the garlic and chop it into tiny pieces. Peel the onion, cut it in half, chop one half into tiny pieces and save the other half.

Put the breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, parsley and pepper into a bowl. Add the minced beef. Crumble in the stock cube. Break the egg into the bowl. Mix thoroughly.

Unroll the pastry. Put the meat mixture on the middle of the pastry in a sausage shape. Pull the pastry over the top, so it overlaps. Moisten the edges and ends with some milk and gently press them together.

Rub some oil onto a baking tray. Put the roll on the tray. Brush the pastry with some more milk. Make a hole in the top.

Cook in a preheated oven at 200°C, 400°F, gas mark 6 for 30 minutes.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

Use minced beef, pork or turkey. If you aren’t using beef, add a beef stock cube.

Use mixed herbs instead of parsley.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/campaigns/germwatch/science-fsw/freezing#.UsXcoijtpsQ
    "Refrozen food has a higher risk of causing food poisoning because, as explained, when food is thawed, bacteria can multiply rapidly – particularly if at room temperature. So if the product is refrozen these bacteria will survive, and when defrosted again, it is more likely that the bacteria would reach harmful levels and cause food poisoning.

However, if you cook defrosted food before refreezing (for example turning defrosted chicken into a chicken curry), any harmful bugs will be killed off, making the food safe before freezing. Any defrosted food can be stored in the fridge for up to two days before it needs to be cooked or thrown away."

This is the advice I would follow

ive merged this with freezing quick questions

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• lucy_lemon
    Options
    I make a lot of mango chutney throughout the year, and always try to get the mangoes when they are on offer or when I see them on the reduced section. Currently, they're 75p each instead of £1.50 in Asda, so I've just made 8 jars. I have no more empty jars, but was wondering if I could chop the mango and then freeze it, ready to make some more when I have jars. Do you think the mango would freeze well?

Thanks in advance for any help!
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not a clue - but worth a try, surely.

Incidentally, if you can get to an Asian market you would probably find them cheaper all year round. Just dropped the lad off in Manchester and saw pineapples on sale at 5 for £1 (Levenshulme or Longsight, not too sure where I was, actually!)
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mango does freeze well, but like any food, the higher the water content the mushier the defrosted item will be. Not a bad thing if you are making a "jammy" chutney, but far from ideal if you are looking to make a sharp pickle using the unripe fruit.

I'd stick them in the coolest par of the fridge for a few days until you can secure some more jars. In the meantime, look through your store cupboards and use up the cheapest items that come in jars! :D
    Valli wrote: »
    Just dropped the lad off in Manchester and saw pineapples on sale at 5 for £1 (Levenshulme or Longsight, not too sure where I was, actually!)
    As long as you made it out alive, who cares? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • lucy_lemon
    Options
    Thank you for the tips! Unfortunately we don't have an Asian market (a cheap one anyway) within about a 2 hour trip, so Asda and Aldi are my only options. I think I will get some more, freeze some and keep some until I can finish some more jars. Think there are about 5 or 6 nearly empty ones in the fridge :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure