PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    I buy mushrooms and peppers already frozen. If I'm making a meal I chuck them in the pan frozen. You get excess water from them, but you adjust your other ingredients to suit.

You find peppers are definitely best in curry, chili etc.
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've merged this with freezing quick questions

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Swans1912
    Swans1912 Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    Options
    I'm very sorry if this is a stupid question... I bought a mincing attachment for my Kenwood which arrived this morning, so being excited, I took a joint of beef out of the freezer to defrost so I could try it out. Its minced up lovely but I now have a pile of mince as I wasn't sure how much the joint would make (if that makes sense!?) Would it be possible for me to refreeze half of it now it's minced up?
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think you should really refreeze it raw, though I have defrosted blocks of mince, made into burgers and refroze - never came to any harm from it.

It'd be better/safer to cook before freezing - maybe batch cook some bolognese, chili, cottage pie meat etc?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You aren't supposed to refreeze meat once it is defrosted.

Make it into pies, shelpherds pies, Bolognese, cook and then freeze them.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • sKiTz-0
    sKiTz-0 Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with above - you can refreeze meat as long as it has changed state. i.e gone from raw to cooked.

So you would be able to cook up a chilli with the mince and freeze the chilli with no ill effects. But you are not able to just bung the raw mince back in the freezer IYSWIM.
    This is WAY more fun than monopoly.
  • jpscloud
    jpscloud Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    edited 2 January 2014 at 10:34PM
    Options
    From what I can gather, it's okay defrost and refreeze meat (without cooking it) multiple times.

The more often it is defrosted and refrozen, the more the cell structure (they say taste as well, but I'm not sure why) of the meat is affected. At some point defrosting and refreezing would presumably result in something not very nice. I've only ever done defrost and refreeze on anything once, and it's always been fine.

I'd say go for it :)
    I believe in the freedom of spinach and the right to arm bears.

Weight loss journey started January 2015
    -32lbs
  • Jacksmummy
    Options
    I defrost raw meat, make chillis, Spag bols and sheperds pie etc and then refreeze, don't think I'd risk refreezing raw meat after defrosting.
    G.C July £21.09/£100

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/campaigns/germwatch/science-fsw/freezing#.UsXcoijtpsQ
    "Refrozen food has a higher risk of causing food poisoning because, as explained, when food is thawed, bacteria can multiply rapidly – particularly if at room temperature. So if the product is refrozen these bacteria will survive, and when defrosted again, it is more likely that the bacteria would reach harmful levels and cause food poisoning.

However, if you cook defrosted food before refreezing (for example turning defrosted chicken into a chicken curry), any harmful bugs will be killed off, making the food safe before freezing. Any defrosted food can be stored in the fridge for up to two days before it needs to be cooked or thrown away."
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    Options
    You must never refreeze defrosted meat as Mojisola has pointed out (and why). Cook it first then freeze it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure