PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• Looey
    Options
    I live in Australia and currently have the biggest crop of mangoes on my tree. Yes you can freeze them. When defrosted they are a bit mushy but still lovely to eat really nice with ice cream or yoghurt. Regards Looey
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Congrats on your first post Looey!

(And I am not in the LEAST bit envious;))
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I love mangoes and used to buy loads when I lived in London - the corner shop near me used to sell boxes of the most delicious ones from Pakistan, they'd come with little bits of tinsel on then and they were so cheap. I used to freeze them all of the time, and they worked fine in smoothies, sorbets, ice-creams, even cakes.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 January 2014 at 11:55PM
    Options
    Callie22 wrote: »
    I love mangoes and used to buy loads when I lived in London - the corner shop near me used to sell boxes of the most delicious ones from Pakistan, they'd come with little bits of tinsel on then and they were so cheap.
    I am really not fond of Alfonsos, they are all sweet, hairy and mushy. Give me a giant green and red one, any day.
    Looey wrote: »
    I live in Australia and currently have the biggest crop of mangoes on my tree. Yes you can freeze them. When defrosted they are a bit mushy but still lovely to eat really nice with ice cream or yoghurt. Regards Looey
    Lucky you!! Mangoes make a great quick desert if whizzed up from frozen with a small quantity of natural yoghurt and frozen banana / sugar / honey to taste.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know about freezing mangos but I wondered if I could be cheeky and ask for the mango chutney recipe please? I have one but I'd rather use one that's been tried and tested :)

Thanks,

Kevin
  • lucy_lemon
    Options
    Kevie192 wrote: »
    I don't know about freezing mangos but I wondered if I could be cheeky and ask for the mango chutney recipe please? I have one but I'd rather use one that's been tried and tested :)

I have sent you a message!
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ive merged this with freezing quick questions

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• clairfairy
    Options
    Just wondered if anyone could advise, I made a pie the other week and froze it when came to defrosting and cooking it was a complete mess. It was chicken with veg and gravy, filling was cooked and cooled before freezing. It was mushy and really watery, i just don't understand what I did wrong. Would like to start freezing left overs but worry about it going wrong now, any advice would be great
    2014 Alphabet Challenge
    A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
    Win £2014 in 2014: £110/£2014
    20 prizes valued £14+: 5/20

• kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pies are tough to freeze. You could maybe make several small pies instead of a large one. That way you could make enough pies to eat straight away then freeze the filling and pastry dough separately to avoid mushiness.

Sorry I can't help much beyond that :o
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    As long as you made it out alive, who cares? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Lol! As a born and bred Mancunian living in the North East of Scotland, one of the few things I miss is the variety of world food shops and fresh fruit and veg market stalls. Aberdeen has diddly squat in terms of green grocers (the farmers stand in The Green on a Friday is about as good as it gets and all they sell is tatties, leeks, cabbages, onions and carrots with the occasional Summer berries).

I miss stopping at the barrows in the Northern Quarter on my way home and buying my body weight in fruit and veg for a fiver or popping into the Chinese supermarkets in Chinatown for some fresh yellow miso paste.

Anywho, back OT, I freeze anything which cannot be eaten before it goes off with the exception of eggs (has anyone ever done this successfully just out of interest?)
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure