PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    Personally i would freeze the lot or if your more fussy cook the fish and then freeze it hth.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As above, I'd happily freeze all of those. In general, most things can be frozen, the only caveat being if it's been frozen, then thawed, then you shouldn't re-freeze it. I freeze pretty much everything - like you, buy stuff that's within a day or two of it's best-before date and stick it straight in the freezer. Bread is a great favourite, buy it by the bucket-load when it's reduced and into the freezer it goes. The only things that don't freeze well are things like salad and soft fruit - the ice crystals break the cell walls, meaning they go mushy. Perfectly safe to eat, but not too appetizing.

As a slight aside, freezers work most efficiently when they're full. Going back to my old favourite bread, if the freezer has empty space, I'll stock up on bread to fill it. On the basis that it'll last for ages and I'm going to need it anyway.
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    You are right. All can go in the freezer.
    I YS shop every week and most meat/fish will go in the freezer.
    I read the instructions and have noted only very few items that say cannot be frozen.
    I buy bread and rolls too. Some go in my freezer.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd freeze them all
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • moments_of_sanity
    Options
    I too would freeze them. I understand things that can't be frozen are items that have been defrosted and not cooked or items that say Do not freeze, if it says not suitable for freezing it can still be frozen but may not look exactly the same as when it went in.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All the things you have listed are fine for freezing. Only things which might be a problem are things where there are large water crystals which burst the cell membranes on freezing and material goes wet and soggy on defrosting (eg salad) (Strawberries do the same but are fine in smoothies etc). Oh and raw potatoes go black when you freeze them but cooked or partially cooked are fine
  • Miss_Purple_Hat
    Options
    For the likes of salmon off the counter it can be frozen (says so on the white sticker). Usually it says in tiny letters on packaging if it is not suitable for home freezing.

Extra note: stuff off the deli counter (can't speak for raw meat, fish or hot meat) that has been reduced at Mr T is the last date it would be sold to you off the counter, at which point you would still be told you have a couple of days to use it without needing to freeze it. So you don't actually have to freeze that if you're using it within 2 days. (I used to work there.)
    Making mistakes is not the end of the world, though it often feels that way!
  • shepherdgirl
    Options
    Hi Guys

Have a couple of Bertolli Light spreads in the freezer - just got one out and it says not suitable for freezing :o Didn't read the carton before freezing:mad:

Have googled to check and Tesco site says it is freezable ???

Now confused LOL - Does anyone use the spread and freeze it ?
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,386 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The "suitability" or not will only be for something like the texture changing slightly on defrosting, not because it will be harmful in anyway.

Just try it and see.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree, it will be only down to the texture.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure