PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    I miss stopping at the barrows in the Northern Quarter on my way home and buying my body weight in fruit and veg for a fiver or popping into the Chinese supermarkets in Chinatown for some fresh yellow miso paste.
    If you pass through Dundee there's a couple of supermarkets there (Wing Fung's and Matthew's) but I'm pretty sure there's a branch of Matthew's in Aberdeen anyway.

Glasgow and Edinburgh have lots more IIRC.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    If you pass through Dundee there's a couple of supermarkets there (Wing Fung's and Matthew's) but I'm pretty sure there's a branch of Matthew's in Aberdeen anyway.

Glasgow and Edinburgh have lots more IIRC.

Thanks :) I'll maybe try Edinburgh I'm usually there twice a month or so.

The one in Torry just looks like a storage warehouse (I work nearby Matthews warehouse and there's no obvious entrance other than for lorries. My OH tried it once and they told him it was just for wholesale). The one Chinese supermarket off the Mounthooly roundabout is tiny and has a really poor selection of everything. They only have one small fridge and the last few times I've been they've run out of noodles! How a Chinese supermarket runs out of noodles I don't know lol. Honestly, the corner shop style ones in Mcr have more stock than the larger supermarket here. :(

I gave up trying to cook Japanese food ages ago, it's hard enough getting the ingredients for real Chinese food lol, although I can quite easily get the tubs of red food colouring and MSG that goes into the Westernised greasy junk you get from a takeaway! The major supermarkets are starting to get a better selection but it's quite expensive.

*sigh* As much as I love haggis, neeps and tatties and stovies, all this potato and red meat isn't doing my waistline any favours lol! :p
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Mrs_Badger_2
    Options
    Which is the best way to do this?
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    I find they don't freeze well at all, too much water in them.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• Mrs_Badger_2
    Options
    That was my fear.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How much do you have? If they are going to go off, I would cook them as normal and store in the fridge for 2-3 days (reheat in microwave for around a minute). Then feed them as starters or an accompaniment to another dinner - spicy chips, chicken and stir fry veg is scrummy.

Ill merge this with freezing quick qs later http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=726853&highlight=freezing+quick

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• meames_2
    meames_2 Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't worry about it. They are a bit limp but I can live with it.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    meames wrote: »
    I don't worry about it. They are a bit limp but I can live with it.

Me too.

I don't freeze mixed stir-fry veg but I do have bags of things in freezer that I use to put together a stir fry. I keep them separate as I use them alone for other dishes too. What I tend to do is take some cabbage, carrot, spring onion and mushrooms from fridge/cupboard and then add frozen green beans, peppers and beansprouts from the freezer.
  • Greytcatlady
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Me too.

I don't freeze mixed stir-fry veg but I do have bags of things in freezer that I use to put together a stir fry. I keep them separate as I use them alone for other dishes too. What I tend to do is take some cabbage, carrot, spring onion and mushrooms from fridge/cupboard and then add frozen green beans, peppers and beansprouts from the freezer.

Me three.

A bag of beansprouts is too big for the two of us and I've thrown out that many half bags of slimy mess from the fridge. No, they don't freeze well, but it's better than binning them.
  • pennypincher2013
    Options
    My friend and I are divided on opinion on this one... We were shopping in Tesco and looking at the reduced section when I find loads of items I would like. She said the use by date is today so I would have to eat all the food today (yesterday). I said the food can go in the freezer. She said no it couldn't because there's no mention on the packaging of being able to freeze it. I thought the food could be frozen because it hadn't been frozen before and theres no mention on the packaging of not suitable for home freezing.
    Who is right?

p.s. some of the items were salmon, cod, pizza, chicken pie.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure