PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I get the inside of my microwave clean

Options

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,034 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Cup of water with some lemon juice in it (for smell only and it works the same without) - set machine to 10 minutes on high - leave until finished then wipe all the softened gunge off with cloth!

Easy peasy though repeat if the gunge is extra core horrible.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi tartantotty,

This earlier thread has lots of tips on cleaning a microwave that should help:

How do I get the inside of my microwave clean

Stinky microwave!

I'll add your thread to the first link later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • tartantotty
    Options
    Ah thanks pink-winged!! My pc is soooooooo slow that searches make me want to cry, so thats really helpful x
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    Cup of water with some lemon juice in it (for smell only and it works the same without) - set machine to 10 minutes on high - leave until finished then wipe all the softened gunge off with cloth!

Easy peasy though repeat if the gunge is extra core horrible.

Seconded - works for me every time!
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We give ours a good spray with diluted Stardrops, wait five Min's then wipe out with a damp cloth.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • crawley_girl
    crawley_girl Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Olliebeak wrote: »
    Seconded - works for me every time!

Me too! Although I boil the kettle first and zap for 10 mins and it just wipes clean - and I have a scummy mw!
    Ever wonder about those people who spend £2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
  • nanokitten
    Options
    oven pride (that do the one with the bag) also do a microwave version I have seen in the pound shop. Sounds like a pound well spent to me.
  • NJW69
    NJW69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Don't know if others have ever used this method but it works for me and doesn't use any oven cleaning products.

Microwave - fill a microwaveable bowl with warm water with a big squirt of washing up liquid and a bit of rinse aid if you have some and then put into the microwave and 'cook' on high for 10 minutes. When completed remove the dish and wipe out the microwave with a clean cloth. I have a stainless steel one and I just dry at the same time with a clean tea towel and it is left streak free.

For an oven it's the same technique but using an oven dish/tray and you need to leave it for longer. Starting with warmer water and doing after the oven had already been on would save time and energy. You also need to take out the racks afterwards and wash off in the sink. It's much easier and cleaner than the sprays etc and leaves the oven smellling really clean.
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • cyclingyorkie
    cyclingyorkie Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you can also add a sliced lemon - this will give a lovely smell and helps to cut through the grease!

thanks to Kim and Aggie for that tip!
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I stick the racks etc for the oven in the dishwasher, have to admit....
    Val.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport