PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I get the inside of my microwave clean

Options

Comments

• BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    It depends on how truly filthy it is. For normal old burned on or dried on stuff, washing-up liquid and one of the scourer for non-stick pans usually dose the truck. I'm sure I read on here about putting a couple of slices of lemon into a bowl of water and boiling it in the micro did something or other. Maybe before you start with the scourer?
  • lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Options
    I've always done as the previous poster said but with vinegar not lemon juice. i would then use lemon juice if there were any smells still lingering as that freshens it up.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Get a small bowl, with water and lemon juice. Cook on high till boiling. Let it steam for five minutes. Remove the bowl and wipe clean. Repeat if necessary. :)
    If it is so truly filthy that this method doesn't work, go in with the Cillit Bang.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • sammiell
    sammiell Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi i just put some water in a bowl with some lemon peel or slices and put it on fr a few minutes at a time it loosens the gunk then you just wipe it away.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What's the best product/items to use to clean the inside of a combination microwave? I am naughty and have not kept on top of it, whoops, so now I have a bit of a mission to clean it.
    I have avoided using oven cleaner or wire wool as I wasn't sure they would be safe for the microwave part of it. So far I've tried a paste of bicarbonate of soda, lemon juice (sat to soak for a good while) and washing up liquid, plus a brand new (to get the 'scratchy'ness at full par) non-scratch sponge. I've shifted most of it but there's a particularly grimey corner I'm struggling with!
  • adecor
    adecor Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    Try a slice/chunk of lemon in a small bowl of water. Heat up in the micro until it's steaming & then immediately wipe with paper towel. It will get most grease off & is great if you have an explosion!
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    Options
    adecor wrote: »
    Try a slice/chunk of lemon in a small bowl of water. Heat up in the micro until it's steaming & then immediately wipe with paper towel. It will get most grease off & is great if you have an explosion!

That is what I do - and you can use vinegar instead of lemon juice.

The microwave should just wipe clean after.
  • krlyr
    Options
    Thanks. Did mean to try the microwave trick (will it work with lemon juice rather than a fresh lemon?) but it's quite caked on stuff so wasn't sure how effective it would be.
    The only vinegar in the house is chip shop vinegar, which OH might kill me for using - will make a note to grab some cheap malt next time I'm shopping (and a fresh lemon if needed!)
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    Options
    I use lemon juice as I rarely have a whole lemon in the house. It will work the same :)
  • krlyr
    Options
    No luck with the microwaved lemon juice..and I tried a bit of the chip shop vinegar on it as well and nothing shifted. Am I doomed to pay for my laziness with a forever grimy microwave?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure