PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I get the inside of my microwave clean

Options

Comments

• trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LJM wrote: »
    i use it all the time but for your microwave well mine i pop a bowl of hot water with lemon slices in it in mocrowave pop it on high for a minute and it loosens the grimmy bits making it easier to just wipe off

i have done the hot water in the bowel and lemon, but these are stains and not loose food waste
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    hello all, I want to give the microwave oven a deep clean. I read as a handy tip, paste of bicarbonate of soda is good to use to remove those food stains from the white interiors.

I have used Milton, the baby sterilising stuff to get stains off my worksurface.

Not sure if that would work on your microwave but could be worth a try.

Just checked on the Tesco site and the Milton is £1.97 for 500ml but it is only 70p for Tesco own brand for 1.25ltrs.

;)
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just did a search on mysupermarket:

Asda 56p 200g

Tesco 83p 200g

Sainsburys 83p 200g

I did not know it was related to baking LOL :)
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I just did a search on mysupermarket:

Asda 56p 200g

Tesco 83p 200g

Sainsburys 83p 200g

I did not know it was related to baking LOL :)

Yep, I use it when I bake muffins, it helps them rise. :D

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/specials%20and%20holidays/baking%20powder%20and%20soda%20origin%20uses%20recipes.htm
  • SUESMITH_2
    SUESMITH_2 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    I have used Milton, the baby sterilising stuff to get stains off my worksurface.

Not sure if that would work on your microwave but could be worth a try.

Just checked on the Tesco site and the Milton is £1.97 for 500ml but it is only 70p for Tesco own brand for 1.25ltrs.

;)

not sure id i would use sodium hypochlorite (milton) to clean metal as i can be a bit corrosive
    'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As you know where to buy bicarb, ive merged this with our cleaning a microwave thread so you can see how others do it

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• wilroda
    wilroda Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have not long had a new microwave, a combination one that roasts too.

Cleaning the blighter seems to be a nightmare! With my old one I used to simmer some water with lemon juice in it for a while and simply wipe it clean but with this one the dirt wont shift!

The inside is stainless steel with the element exposed in the top for roasting....

any tips anyone?
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    DH (ex appliance engineer) recommends Barkeeper's Friend (available Waitrose) - and never let it get too dirty.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • freedom2011
    Options
    I have searched & searched but can't find a thread about cleaning a microwave. I have embarrassingly let mine get into quite a state over Christmas ( along with ahem, a few other areas of the house:o). I am sure I have read of an old style way to clean it, can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks
    Frugal Challenge £9000
    Grocery Challenge £tba pm £
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    Get a small bowl, with water and lemon juice. Cook on high till boiling. Let it steam for five minutes. Remove the bowl and wipe clean. Repeat if necessary. :)
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure