PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lambanana am loving the purple wool, looks amazing! And thank you for stopping me swearing at my cable needle, stress free cabling :j:j:j

Dizzylizzy am off to start the fingerless mitts now they were just what I was looking for. Went to the woolshop I found just before Christmas as I wanted some acid colours for a blanket for DGS and the shop was shut - they seem to shut randomly - guess business is slow at this time of year :o so I am sulking now :o
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • lambanana
    lambanana Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    There is a tutorial for magic loop on this webside http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques in the small diameter circular knitting. I'll admit I'm a pretty recent convert and I still love my DPNs as well, they are both good ways of knitting in the round.

blueberrypie I know I could do 2 at a time magic loop on one needle but I prefer to do them like this, I know full well if I tried the other way I'd get in a dreadful tangle and I often take my knitting with me and prefer to just take the one sock and stash it in my handbag. I don't know...I'm happy with the way I do it but it's probably from the habit of knitting 2 at a time on DPNs I'm just used to using 2 sets of needles. Perhaps I should try 2 together on magic loop.

Ooh this is another good magic loop tutorial for photos and text instead of a video AND she shows how to do 2 at a time magic loop as well :)

http://knittinggiraffe.blogspot.com/2008/09/magic-loop-tutorial-part-1.html
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member #398 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :T
    CC: £6412.95 (0% APR until Feb 2015 which I'm hoping is also my DFD!)
    Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!
  • PepPop
    PepPop Posts: 1,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    blueberrypie and lambanana thanks for the links, I'll check them out :beer:
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    lambanana wrote: »
    blueberrypie I know I could do 2 at a time magic loop on one needle but I prefer to do them like this, I know full well if I tried the other way I'd get in a dreadful tangle and I often take my knitting with me and prefer to just take the one sock and stash it in my handbag. I don't know...I'm happy with the way I do it but it's probably from the habit of knitting 2 at a time on DPNs I'm just used to using 2 sets of needles. Perhaps I should try 2 together on magic loop.

It's really no more difficult than what you're doing. What I do is put the two balls of wool into a small bag that has snap-fasteners across it, thread one through each side and close the snaps between it. You could do the same with a ziploc bag, with one stand of yarn coming out at each end of the zip edge, or even just making two holes in it and letting the strands come out there.

Some people knit socks from the toe-up and use each partly-knitted sock to hold the ball of yarn for itself. (I usually knit toe-up, but I don't usually put the yarn in the sock. Just habit.)

I find two-at-a-time much easier to keep track of - there's no row-counting needed, I can tell if my socks match, I only have to look at the pattern once for each round and then follow the instructions for that round twice.

If you're happy with your way, that's fine :-) - I'd just encourage you to try taat :-)
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really need to watch magic loop videos soon........sounds fun!
    I am desperate to knit more cape but been a busy day lol!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• lambanana
    Options
    Thanks blueberrypie, I promise I shall give 2AAT magic loop a try and see how I get on, I can see the reasoning behind doing it I suppose I'm suffering the usual fear of the unknown! I am willing to try anything once though and I've promised my husband socks next which will be plain stockinette so a good way to practice 2AAT I think.

Learning new knitting techniques is good for me and no one dies if I get it wrong...this is an important thing for me to remember!
    Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lambanana wrote: »
    Thanks blueberrypie, I promise I shall give 2AAT magic loop a try and see how I get on, I can see the reasoning behind doing it I suppose I'm suffering the usual fear of the unknown! I am willing to try anything once though and I've promised my husband socks next which will be plain stockinette so a good way to practice 2AAT I think.

Learning new knitting techniques is good for me and no one dies if I get it wrong...this is an important thing for me to remember!
    Really ? Are you sure ? So it is ok to make the odd mistake ;).
    (phew feel much betterer now!).
    xx
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• lambanana
    Options
    I know, when I accepted this it was something of a revelation...that and it takes a while to get the hang of things and I probably wont be good at them straight away, it's shocking but true ;)
  • kinkine
    kinkine Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 January 2011 at 9:25AM
    Options
    Hi everyone, sort of fell of the planet recently! Hello to everyone and welcome to all new posters - it's been interesting reading!

I put an order into the Bamboo Knitting and Crochet Centre and can recommend her. She had excellent communication, and was very fast at dispatching my order - a purple silk roll and some new needles (treat for myself!).

Anyway, I have a discount code for 5% off if anyone is interested. Enter code BC08 at checkout on the website. Hope this is helpful to someone. There doesn't seem to be an expiry on it. The website is www.bamboo-knitting-centre.com
  • lambanana
    Options
    I finished a pair of socks

5353186026_7cd0cb9ff9.jpg

And a cardigan (excuse poorly lit photo, I finished sewing it up last night and had to take a quick picture before bed!)

5353186914_e6bc70cbce.jpg

It took me forever to sew up the seams on that flipping cardigan! I wanted to make sure it looked as neat as possible and didn't want to rush after putting so much effort into the knitting but oh my goodness... It's the first time I've knit an adult sized garment (I've knit baby things which don't take long to sew) and yeah...I think my next cardigan or jumper will be from a seamless pattern so all I have to do is weave in the ends and sew on some buttons!! I do love my cardigan though, it's soft and snuggly and fits me. It's open at the front but looks nice closed with a pretty pin. You can't really tell that I had to use a ball of yarn in a different dye lot at the end of one of the fronts so I'm relieved about that!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback