PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• Habibiboo
    Habibiboo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up, Ravelry looks altogether quite inspiring - I often make up knitting patterns as I go, perhaps I'll have to write some down and pop them on there!
    Stash busting 2014 45 / 60 (balls of yarn)!
    2014 Sealed Pot #2136 ?/£500
    House: Decluttering 322 / 365
    Original mortgage [STRIKE]£149,000[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£117,750[/STRIKE];[STRIKE]£112,500[/STRIKE] MFW 2014#69 GOAL 1: [STRIKE]£109 K April[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 2: [STRIKE]£103 K by Sept[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 3: < £100k by end of 2014 MF goal: Nov 2020 - 4 years early
  • Mrs_Money
    Mrs_Money Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ravelry seems a better deal to me if you want to sell patterns. 5% for up to US$100 worth of sales, flat rates (but lower percentage) for sales over that - and I'd guess a wider audience too.

TBH I rarely look anywhere *other* than Ravelry for patterns these days - much of what's on other websites (including Patternfish) is linked on Rav, and therefore searchable from Rav, so it seems the best place to start, and I almost always find what I'm looking for, or something close enough to it that I can easily adapt. If I was trying to make money from designs, I'd go for selling through Rav first.

Yes, that's a very good point - I've just signed up at Ravelry - bit of a lurker at present- can't quite get my head round it all!
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lambanana wrote: »
    Some lovely projects going on in here :D

I am in a bit of a grumpy bum mood because I ran out of wool for the cardigan I'm knitting with only 10 rows of the front and 16 rows of cable band to go :mad: doubly annoyed as I bought the wool from Kemps last year for about £1.50 a ball and the cheapest I can find an extra ball for now is £3.75 including postage :eek: I'm not impressed.

Don't suppose anyone has a spare ball of Patons Pompero in Taupe lying around? ;)

I'll have to buy it, I've put so much work into this cardigan but it will have to wait until payday and it will be the wrong dyelot...at least it will only be a bit round the top of the shoulder and back of the neck so I hope it doesn't look too bad.

I know this isn't probably going to help you much as I can't remember the name of the website but I'm sure I saw a website that bought in odds of wool and you could ask them if they had a particular wool with the same dye lot as you were after.

I hope there's someone else that knows the website I mean and that I'm not getting your hopes up for nothing.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • hellnearth
    hellnearth Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    I think it might be Oddballs? If you Google it comes up on the first page.
    New CC starting balances for 2014: BC: £2780.00 (2717.45) MBNA: £2185.72 (2160.72)
    Repayment a/c: £112.50
    Weekly grocery spend:
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here are my latest chunky socks for DH:
    PIC_7140_medium.JPG
    Now working on these fluffy numbers for me:
    PIC_7186_medium.JPG

More pics of both on ravelry.
    Hope all are well xx
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• PepPop
    PepPop Posts: 1,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OrkneyStar Your socks are lovely - they look really warm
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    orkneystar i dont know how you can have 'lacking inspiration' as your sig you inspire me everytime you post a photo! im determined to [STRIKE]knit [/STRIKE] attempt my first ever pair of socks this year because of you :T
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    orkneystar i dont know how you can have 'lacking inspiration' as your sig you inspire me everytime you post a photo! im determined to [STRIKE]knit [/STRIKE] attempt my first ever pair of socks this year because of you :T

:o:o:o:o:o
    Thank you.
    Perhaps I will change my signature to something more positive!
    (Did you see my disastrous attempt on the last page though ?, was turning into a mega chore!).
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• dizzy_lizzie
    dizzy_lizzie Posts: 2,952 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. Orkney those cable socks look so inviting. I'm going to attempt some cable on some fingerless mittens...eventually.
    Whilst browsing the net I found this really easy tutorial for buttonholes, something I can never seem to master
    http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-a-buttonhole-2
    Hope it may be of help to someone :)
    Luvz Dizzy x
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no:219
    In the Court Of The Crimson King
    I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.
    Gary Larson
  • natc
    natc Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all. My OHs uncle owns a spinning mill and has donated to me some real creamy white wool! I say real, as ive only knitted with the acrylic wool, this even smells of a sheep, i love it! Im not new to knitting as i was taught as a child but havent taken it up as a hobby until recently, so still quite a beginner. I made a baby hat for my new born neice last year, started a cardigan for her, with a simple pattern, but was confuzzled towards the end and havent finished it! I did make myself a scarf last week, love it. But im just unsure as to what to make with my new stash of wool! Any ideas for a beginner? Ive thought about some fingerless gloves or a slouchy beret hat, but are these too complicated for a beginner?

x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure