PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh so happy found this thread again, popped in last year then forgot about it as after many years of knitting - am 54, knitted my first pair of socks for a friend for Christmas, she wanted thickish socks and couldn't find any and asked if I could knit her a pair, told her never had, so she thought that meant I wouldn't and surprised her, and they fit. Found a simple pattern for aran weight yarn, but then hubby fell in love with then and wants a pair, in the same yarn, so started to knit but found he has very very slim ankles and calves for a man, and when I get foot right they are to big on leg - also he likes sock just to bottom of his calves, if he wore them a bit higher they most likely would stay up. I had decided I just couldn't do it after trying 10 different patterns, so told him no way sorry can knit anything else and have done, but not socks for him, I admitted defeat - for the moment anyway. Then I come here and find all these fascinating facts on socks and plenty of links to go to for help. I think hubby might just get his socks after all -thanks . Perfect timing as well as just finished a hat for a friend so this now will be next thing after I do a bit of study :)

I must admit to being inspired by all this talk of socks too! It must be the cold weather:) May I ask where you found the simple pattern?

rogallosik, I asked a similar question a few weeks back and was pointed in the direction of cheapie shops (not exactly £ shops but similar) or charity shops. I did find one and got exactly what I wanted. However, I was only doing some soft furnishing stuff. Perhaps if it was clothes, people would want to spend more???
  • lambanana
    lambanana Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Some lovely projects going on in here :D

I am in a bit of a grumpy bum mood because I ran out of wool for the cardigan I'm knitting with only 10 rows of the front and 16 rows of cable band to go :mad: doubly annoyed as I bought the wool from Kemps last year for about £1.50 a ball and the cheapest I can find an extra ball for now is £3.75 including postage :eek: I'm not impressed.

Don't suppose anyone has a spare ball of Patons Pompero in Taupe lying around? ;)

I'll have to buy it, I've put so much work into this cardigan but it will have to wait until payday and it will be the wrong dyelot...at least it will only be a bit round the top of the shoulder and back of the neck so I hope it doesn't look too bad.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member #398 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :T
    CC: £6412.95 (0% APR until Feb 2015 which I'm hoping is also my DFD!)
    Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Options
    Aw Lambanana, what a pain - but it will be well worth every penny when the cardigan is finished. Just think how much it would cost if you were to buy a hand-knitted cardigan. I've seen them at markets and they cost hundreds!!!!
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • Apollonia
    Apollonia Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rogallosik wrote: »
    I'm in Sussex so if anyone has any recommendations I'll be very grateful

The British Knitters group on Ravelry has compiled a map of UK yarn shops:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=111287046617801714876.0004367756018bc4ced50&ll=52.670296,-1.198497&spn=4.817425,14.611816&z=7&om=1

Any Ravelry members can let the British Knitters group know if their fav LYS isn't marked.

HTH
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ...but then hubby fell in love with then and wants a pair, in the same yarn, so started to knit but found he has very very slim ankles and calves for a man, and when I get foot right they are to big on leg - also he likes sock just to bottom of his calves, if he wore them a bit higher they most likely would stay up...

The best bet for slim ankles (my husband is the same) is to knit the cuff in a 2 x 2 rib pattern. So don't reduce the width of the cuff too much (otherwise he would never get the sock on :) ) instead rely on the rib pattern itself to 'pull' the cuff part in tight and hold the sock up.

So (for top down socks) I would cast on and then start of with maybe 12 rows of k1, p1 rib and then I would do x amount of rows in k2, p2 for the rest of the cuff to knit it to the length he wants.

Good luck.
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    I've just posted this in another thread but thought I should put it here too, Lakeland have a lovely set of 8 pairs of bamboo needles in a roll for £3.99 in the sale. They've got the matching bag for £5.99 too.
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/country-garden-knitting-range/F/keyword/knitting/product/42536_42537
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm pleased to say I've almost finished DH's merino scarf - all 6 feet of it :eek:! I just need to sew in the loose ends from starting/finishing/joining new balls of wool but he had to go to London for 2 days today so has taken it with him - loose bits and all!!!! He said he didn't want to leave it behind as it was so nice and warm :).

Now on with DD's doll that I had to stop to do DH's scarf ..... no rest for the wicked is there lol!
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • Toodle
    Toodle Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all. I'm currently about 1/4 way through my first ever project :j nothing fancy, a bramble stitch scarf in chunky wool. However, the edges are going 'frilly'. I wouldn't mind so much, but it seems to be more one side than the other. I've tried including some pics to show you what I mean. Can anyone suggest anything I may be able to do to remedy during working on it, or would it be solveable when finished?

I look forwards to hearing from you.

See, it's more on the right hand side than the left
    Photo0017.jpg

Photo0020.jpg
    Toodles-SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old DD, Baby #2 on the way!
    Just started comping 02/11/11 Everything crossed!
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Somebody else will come along and suggest how to fix the problem, but I think as it's quite a narrow scarf the 'problem' makes it more attractive.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Toodle
    Toodle Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    Somebody else will come along and suggest how to fix the problem, but I think as it's quite a narrow scarf the 'problem' makes it more attractive.

That's what I was thinking to begin with, it made it quite pretty, however as the length increased it became apparant that it was rather onesided.

Thanks for replying :)
    Toodles-SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old DD, Baby #2 on the way!
    Just started comping 02/11/11 Everything crossed!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback