PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• knitwit
    knitwit Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    tooties wrote: »
    hi all,
    my pattern for santa hasnt arrived yet and ive been to the wool shop im really fed up the patterns not here yet as i wanted to start him tonight,
    does anyone want to give me a starting point from the pattern please
    regards
    tooties

I've sent the instructions by pm. Hope you get on OK taggie30frogim5.gif
  • tooties
    tooties Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    KNITWIT
    thank you so much your an absolute star its printing as i type.
    off to get the needles and wool out
    thank you again your an angel
    kindest regards
    tooties
    :j
  • knitwit
    knitwit Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    I'm pleased it worked out Ok, I'm not too good with computers.

I'm more at home with my knitting needles :D
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    Seakay wrote: »
    The scarf sounds fantastic - where did you get the pattern?

Hi Seakay, the pattern was given to me by the lady in John Lewis, as I was buying the wool and beads.

It goes like this...knitted in Rowan Kidsilk, either Haze or Night, I think the Night variety has a bit of a sparkle thread....(if you search for it on e-bay, there are some nice colours)
    Using 5mm circular needle, but not knitted in the round.

Cast on 175 stitches using the lace cast on method. A bit fiddly, but I got the hang of it.
    Next row...increase by knitting into the front & back of all stitches...350.sts
    Next row...purl
    ...............knit
    Next row...increase into all stitches again as before...700 sts
    ...............purl
    ...............knit
    ...............purl
    ...............knit
    ...............purl
    Next row...increase into alternate stitches..k1.k1(increase) k1.k1 (increase). repeat to end 1050 sts
    Next row break yarn and thread on 420 beads.
    rejoin yarn k5 place bead. k5 place bead..repeat to end.
    Cast off row...a picot cast off....Cast on 3 using lace method, slip stitch on RH needle onto LH needle cast off 6 repeat to end.

I do have more detailed instructions about the cast omethod and the placing bead row.

Pattern calls for 2 balls of yarn and approx 420 beads.
    In John Lewis, yarn was £7.50 per ball & beads £1.90 for a bag of 500 ish.

I have just completed the row where I increased to 700.....by the way. I have not bothered to count stitches..only for the cast on row.

When done, I will post a piccie

The Twit.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • kazzaw
    kazzaw Posts: 717 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone remember seeing poodles made from a crochet or knitted covered plastic bottle?

I remember having one in the 1960's/70's and need something similar for a prop for a play.

Yes I'm getting old and had a glass of wine with my tea but they did exist!! Honest!!
    :j New Year, New You = 1.5lb/12lb:j
  • whatatwit
    Options
    Kazzaw, have a look on ebay..honestly, I'm not on commission....I'm sure I've seen a pattern for a knitted poodle.

Search for poodle.....category crafts.....he he he....we want piccies of the finished beastie
  • whatatwit
    Options
    Kazzaw, try this link... http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz/kidspatterns.html

It's a freebie.
  • sethsgran
    sethsgran Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not seen all of this thread, just picked up on it, but for you knitters try www.knitty.com great patterns. All of you wanting to knit a baby blanket with a differance try their Wild Stripes pattern. It is truely wild and not a pastel shade in sight. I have made it for my long waited for grandson to be. I used acrylic and changed the colours slightly, lots of turquoise, blues etc. I then added more embroidery and french knots in lots of fabulous colours, then piped in bright blue. This is backed in a striped brush cotton. I will be making this for certain again as I have 4 children and they all want big families. I plan to make a blanket for each granchild as they come along, 2 next year so far!!
    Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes
  • Littlebean_2
    Options
    Stefejb - I use a 30cm Addi Turbo circular for socks - it's a bit tight for the first few rows but then loosens up and works very well. I couldn't get the hang of magic loop though so I transferred the stitches back onto metal DPNS to turn the heel etc, and then back onto circs for the remainder. SOunds fiddly but it worked OK for me. I'll have to practice the magic loop - but for now it was a step too far.

Current projects now include a scarf for my OH (Irish Hiking Scarf) - my first ever cable project - I always thought cables were scary but they are really simple and look dead impressive - to me anyway. I've also finished a little bag in Pink Wendy Moiselle for my niece - from Nov's Knitting mag. The yarn is really cute but a pain to knit with, so I'm glad that it didb't take long to knit up.

Honestly it's scary. I've only rediscovered knitting in August and there are suddenly so many things I want to knit. I now feel bereft if I don't get at least a few rows done during the day!
  • Peem
    Peem Posts: 645 Forumite
    Options
    whatatwit wrote: »
    Kazzaw, try this link... http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz/kidspatterns.html

It's a freebie.

Ooh Thanks whatatwit.

There's a teacosy on there that I am going to have to make.

Have downloaded the pattern and am now contemplating colours.

Just got to finish DSs christmas jumper first.:rolleyes:
    "You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." - C.S. Lewis
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback