PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I always have two blankets 'on the go'....one consists of 6 inch garter stitch squares knitted with any heavy wool left over, the other in stripes of fine wool in a feather stitch...can't do the whole width at one time, gets too heavy, so do three and crochet together with something that matches most colours...again all leftovers....depending on my level of 'ordinary' knitting projects they can take months or years to finish, but always leaves me something different to take on when I get fed up.

There is also the matter of 'hiding' knitting from people I am knitting for, currently I have baby knitting on needles for a friend, she is coming on Saturday so I will switch to the knitting I am doing for C'mas for my two granddaughters.

I tend to knit in 'fits and starts', I can knit a sweater in a few days or take months...I have a funny allergy type thing which sometimes comes up as blisters on my forearms just above my wrists, have to give up when it erupts as I have never found any remedy and it first happened to me over 40 years ago...disappears quickly once I stop.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In case anyone's interested, Jean Greenhowe has got a new free pattern on her website for Mini Christmas Stockings

Thanks for the link, STRESSEDOUT - lovely patterns and ideal for using up odds and ends of wool!

kathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • DonnaP
    DonnaP Posts: 458 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I am inspired to give knitting another go after reading this thread - my only worry is that I haven't knitted since I was about 11 years old and I am now 41! I am not sure where to start, but I am sure it will come back to me.

Does anyone have any tips for remembering what to do??

Donna
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    DonnaP wrote: »
    Hi

I am inspired to give knitting another go after reading this thread - my only worry is that I haven't knitted since I was about 11 years old and I am now 41! I am not sure where to start, but I am sure it will come back to me.

Does anyone have any tips for remembering what to do??

Donna

Hi Donna, if you have a look through some of the earlier threads, there are links to sites with free patterns.
    I suppose one of the easiest to start with is a scarf....or even a square for charity....PenelopePenguin has posted a link for knitting a red square. Her daughter and mine are learning to knit with that one.
    If you haven't any needles, then try local charity shops, usually the independant ones keep needles, usually in the back. The chains looked at me as though I had sprouted a second head when I asked in their shops. :confused:

For cheap wool, try the pound shops.

Keep us posted on how you are doing though.

The Twit
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Fozz - I'm another one that always has more than one knitting project on the go at any given moment in time. Usually a piece of crochet as well.

DonnaP - Can only echo what other posters have already said - try the charity shops for knitting needles - you should also drop on some knitting patterns there as well - but some of them may be rather old fashioned (thought often back in style again - I got a beautiful angora bolero pattern for my dgd originally published in 1957!). Definitely start off with something small till you regain your knitting confidence and speed - and then away you go. Nothing ever really changes in knitting (apart from perhaps the styling of clothes) - the abbreviations etc are all still the same. Yarns come and go - so beware of patterns that stipulate a particular 'named' type of yarn as it may not be available these days. Good old chunky is still chunky, aran is still aran, and double knit is still double knit. You may not find 'quickerknit' anywhere - I've personally not seen that around for many years now and many places will insist that you buy an entire packet of 3 ply as there is so little call for it nowadays that they often have to order it in specially for customers.

Good luck with whatever you decide to have a go at! - and welcome back to the 'knitting fold'!
  • tooties
    tooties Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    evening all,
    i have at least two projects on the needles at any one time, santa is taking priority just now though i have to admit.
    he is coming along fine its just a shame i have a compulsion to spend so much time on this site (thank goodness its back, its been a very long four days), going to college and doing housework or sant might just have been finished by now.
    ah well another day tomorrow.
    hows everyone else doing with santa?
    regards
    tooties
    :j
  • tooties
    tooties Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    by the way can anyone advise me what the equivelent of quickerknit is?
    thanks in advance
    just dont want to feel i am missing out on anything.
    tooties
    :j
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    HI all,

DD4 decided that she wanted knitted gloves for winter, had to go for fine wool as she drives to college and I find it difficult to drive in anything other than fine gloves. Found a few patterns from the forties, knitted them yesterday as there was no MSE and I couldn't be doing too much work on Sunday could I? Not mad about the finished product as the pattern did the thumb separately and told you to leave a 2 inch gap to sew it into...they will do as I am not repeating the exercise in a hurry...there are at least four gilet type things waiting to be knitted when I get round to it, and the apparently never ending baby knitting these days.

Wonderful to be back

marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • cazarol
    cazarol Posts: 780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tooties wrote: »
    evening all,
    i have at least two projects on the needles at any one time, santa is taking priority just now though i have to admit.
    he is coming along fine its just a shame i have a compulsion to spend so much time on this site (thank goodness its back, its been a very long four days), going to college and doing housework or sant might just have been finished by now.
    ah well another day tomorrow.
    hows everyone else doing with santa?
    regards
    tooties
    I'm doing very well, but am dreading the stitching up. I knitted up to half way of his face and rang out of light pink on Saturday night so started on the little bits. Have got the beard done, moustache, tops of boots and finished the cap last night.
    I love the knitting but hate sewing up...
    How are you doing
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CAZAROL - I always save sewing up my knitting so that I can do it in daylight; I find it so much easier than trying to do it under electric light. I don't dread it quite so much now that I've realised how much easier it is! I have to agree that it is the worst part of knitting, especially when you are making toys and there are lots of small fiddly pieces.

For all those knitting Jean Greenhowe's Santa, he is worth it and will become such a member of the family that you'll hate putting him away!
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family