PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    whatatwit wrote: »
    Hi Seakay, the pattern was given to me by the lady in John Lewis, as I was buying the wool and beads.

It goes like this...knitted in Rowan Kidsilk, either Haze or Night, I think the Night variety has a bit of a sparkle thread....(if you search for it on e-bay, there are some nice colours)
    Using 5mm circular needle, but not knitted in the round.

Cast on 175 stitches using the lace cast on method. A bit fiddly, but I got the hang of it.
    Next row...increase by knitting into the front & back of all stitches...350.sts
    Next row...purl
    ...............knit
    Next row...increase into all stitches again as before...700 sts
    ...............purl
    ...............knit
    ...............purl
    ...............knit
    ...............purl
    Next row...increase into alternate stitches..k1.k1(increase) k1.k1 (increase). repeat to end 1050 sts
    Next row break yarn and thread on 420 beads.
    rejoin yarn k5 place bead. k5 place bead..repeat to end.
    Cast off row...a picot cast off....Cast on 3 using lace method, slip stitch on RH needle onto LH needle cast off 6 repeat to end.

I do have more detailed instructions about the cast omethod and the placing bead row.

Pattern calls for 2 balls of yarn and approx 420 beads.
    In John Lewis, yarn was £7.50 per ball & beads £1.90 for a bag of 500 ish.

I have just completed the row where I increased to 700.....by the way. I have not bothered to count stitches..only for the cast on row.

When done, I will post a piccie

Thank you for these details - I take it that you cast on the length of the scarf which ends up being 12 rows wide, with the beads in the row next to the cast off row?
    And as you are not knitting in the round, do you need two circular needles?

I am considering doing this for my next project; at the moment I am knitting a hooded sweater for my niece using "Rainbow Knitting Yarn" (a lookey likey hairy ribbon yarn) from the local pound shop, an acrylic double knit used double for the bands and a Sirdar pattern designed for Snowflake chunky.
  • memorygirl
    Options
    Sneaks in quitely:o

Do any of you lovely ladies have any patterns for a baby cardigan that wraps over at the front?

Had two of these as presents for my DS (now aged 7)- and they were fab. Now at 15wks pregnant I feel the urge to have a go myself - although I don't know what I'm having yet so basic white it will have to be.

Memorygirl

PS I'm typing this from a building site in great big boots, hard hat and flourescent jacket(hides the mini-bump brilliantly:D ) - feel a bit of a fraud for asking really.
    GOALS - by June 11 2009 - My big 4-0
    Mortgage of £70K / Got £126 2 years salary £12K/ Got £00
    O/pay Mortgage every month 12 / 0 Weight target 10st 7lbs / Currently 12st 10lbs.
    Furnish house on £1K/ Spent £100
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OMIGOD Whatatwit...that vintage site is smashing....should be finishing my bread but have been printing madly....now the b***dy printer warns that ink is low in colour cartridge...black already empty so I can't do any more until I replace them both (sob!) Love those 40s patterns, have a book somewhere with lots of them but I can't find it

I love this thread

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • QOTD
    QOTD Posts: 218 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have agreed to knit a glove and scarf set for my two nieces for Christmas but now I'm not sure how long it will actually take to knit up the scarfs - I know the gloves will be fairly quick...

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how long a scarf may take and what size needles to use?

Thanks
  • sethsgran
    sethsgran Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    Options
    Memorygirl are these any good

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60128.html
    http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60128.html

If you want free patterns this is a good site not many patterns but nice a couple are Debbie Bliss
    http://www.prima.co.uk/index.php/cat/Knitting/11115
    Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    QOTD,

Really depends on the type of scarf and yarn how long it will take to knit....and size of child too of course. If you use thick yarn and 5mm needles you will finish a scarf in almost the same length of time it takes to do a pair of mittens....no shaping, picking up stitches or sewing up beyond weaving in the start and finish thread.

Good luck

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • tooties
    tooties Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    evening all,
    just to update you all
    thanks to knitwit (my patterns not yet arrived) ive managed to make a start on my santa, im up to his body now. what a pity i have to go to college all day or he might well have all been knitted now. and its my art class tomorrow evening so no knitting then either!!!!! why do i not have enough hours in my day?
    regards
    tooties
    :j
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    Just finishing off yet another first size cardigan - this time in pink. Diamond-pattern stitch with a lacey hem, cuffs and collar and a cable either side of the button bands.

DD had twinges all day Friday last week - had us all on standby - then ABSOLUTELY ZILCH!!! She's back at the hospital tomorrow - see what they say to her! Not actually due till 4th Nov but she is huge (and has been all along!); baby's head has been engaged for about three weeks so 'bump' is very low now - not many movements either. Please God, she doesn't go on Hallowe'en! It's her OH's birthday on Friday as well, lol!!
  • Peem
    Peem Posts: 645 Forumite
    Options
    tooties wrote: »
    evening all,
    just to update you all
    thanks to knitwit (my patterns not yet arrived) ive managed to make a start on my santa, im up to his body now. what a pity i have to go to college all day or he might well have all been knitted now. and its my art class tomorrow evening so no knitting then either!!!!! why do i not have enough hours in my day?
    regards
    tooties

Spoken like a true knitter.:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :T
    "You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." - C.S. Lewis
  • QOTD
    QOTD Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    Marie

Thanks for your advice. It looks like I'll definitely have enough time to knit both scarfs up in time for presents - yes I was just going to do a straightfoward knit!

Thanks again :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure