PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    homealone wrote: »
    i need to make a jumper for son for xmas. did one last year for hubby now he wants one too. needs to be chunky so do i buy chunky wool or aran wool also he wants a polo neck. needs to be quite easy . has anyone seen any pattern on here that fits the bill, was sure someone on here posted a pic of one they had just done but cant find it now? was hoping to get the wool on ebay but not found anything suitable yet and they all seem in 500gram lots and i always need more than the pattern states as my tension goes a bit haywire i think :confused:

Chunky or arran will be fine. How old is your son? I'll see if I can find any patterns.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    STRESSEDOUTMUMOF1 - I knitted Jean Greenhowe's Santa about ten years ago; he comes out every Christmas and my sons (both grown-ups with homes of their own) check each year that he's out of his box. The hardest bit is putting him away again each year! He has kept his good looks because he doesn't come out very often. I intend one day to knit the boys one each for their own homes. Good luck with it - you'll be really pleased with the results.

CAZAROL - There are usually some Jean Greenhowe knitting books on eBay and on some of the knitting websites. Just google 'Jean Greenhowe knitting patterns'. You might also find them in knitting shops or Hobbycraft - they may even order it in for you. I think, if I remember rightly, the one that Santa is in has a picture of him on the front. You'll find lots of other patterns. I have knitted loads of her toy patterns - they make lovely presents and, once you get the hang of it, they are really easy.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • stressedoutmumof1
    Options
    mioliere wrote: »
    CAZAROL - There are usually some Jean Greenhowe knitting books on eBay and on some of the knitting websites. Just google 'Jean Greenhowe knitting patterns'. You might also find them in knitting shops or Hobbycraft - they may even order it in for you. I think, if I remember rightly, the one that Santa is in has a picture of him on the front. You'll find lots of other patterns. I have knitted loads of her toy patterns - they make lovely presents and, once you get the hang of it, they are really easy.

KathyXX

Couldn't have said it better myself ;) Yes Santa and Mrs Claus are on the front - it's the Christmas special.
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • kal25
    kal25 Posts: 569 Forumite
    Options
    cazarol wrote: »
    To start with I would say try a scarf. You can get some lovely wools which make a scarf look really fancy. They are about my limit but they do look fab.

Ok thanks, What needles do I start with? Where is the best place for patterns? Is there any website I can use to show me how to start off?
    TIA
    :smileyhea:heart: Mrs Lea Nov 5th '11 :heart::smileyhea
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have any spare red wool, you can knit a square for the Children's Society's Big Stitch.

DD is learning to knit by making a square.

Penny. x

This is a great idea, and I'm going to do a few now that I've sent off my Innocent hats! I couldn't find an address to send the squares to, so in case anybody else has the same problem, this is it:
    The Big Stich World Record
    Appeals Co-coordinator
    The Children's Society
    FREEPOST LON14784
    London
    WC1X 0JL
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    homealone wrote: »
    i need to make a jumper for son for xmas. did one last year for hubby now he wants one too. needs to be chunky so do i buy chunky wool or aran wool also he wants a polo neck. needs to be quite easy . has anyone seen any pattern on here that fits the bill, was sure someone on here posted a pic of one they had just done but cant find it now? was hoping to get the wool on ebay but not found anything suitable yet and they all seem in 500gram lots and i always need more than the pattern states as my tension goes a bit haywire i think :confused:

I would say that it depends on the age of your son as to which yarn to use. Bear in mind, that if your child is quite small - then a chunky yarn would perhaps be very bulky on him. Also to be taken into account, is that chunky uses fewer stitches and you may not get as much of the pattern on show, as it were.

Good Luck - Ollie
  • tooties
    tooties Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    ooooohhhhhhhhh you lot are a terrible influence
    i would have had a no spend day yesterday but after reading this thread i toddled off to ebay and ordered santa and mrs clause pattern.
    cant wait for it to arrive i have always admired them in other peoples houses.
    thanks
    tooties

sneaking off to wool shop.................
    :j
  • homealone_2
    homealone_2 Posts: 2,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Littlebean wrote: »
    I know what you mean Whatatwit - I've had to seriously curb my ebay habit in the last few weeks. I'm in the process of setting up a wishlist for myself. That way my family will know what to buy me for Christmas/birthdays etc. There are just so many tempting things out there to try.

Getting fed up of the eternal stocking stitch, I decided to try doing a pair of socks as a kind of 'filler' between other projects. I battled with double pointed needles for about 10 rows and found them really fiddly - they seem to have a life of their own and its like knitting with cocktail sticks! Then I bought a small circular needle from ebay - joy - so easy to use and helps you really fly round the rows. Only problem is that there is no natural break at the end of a row - so I kind of forget to go to the loo or get up to stretch my legs - LOL. I'm almost at the 'turning the heel' point though so things might go seriously pear-shaped.

i too have tried the double pins and ended up in knots, in the end i knitted some that only required two needles but they did not come out looking the same at all. may give round needle a go, how did you get on with the heel bit though?
  • cazarol
    cazarol Posts: 780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tooties wrote: »
    ooooohhhhhhhhh you lot are a terrible influence
    i would have had a no spend day yesterday but after reading this thread i toddled off to ebay and ordered santa and mrs clause pattern.
    cant wait for it to arrive i have always admired them in other peoples houses.
    thanks
    tooties

sneaking off to wool shop.................

I'm waiting for Santa and Mrs Claus to arrive from ebay as well.........was quite hoping they would arrive today so I could get cracking but no luck. Am doint another beanie hat for the shoeboxes instead!!!
    Somehow when you get the knitting bug you just have to knit!!!
    :j
  • stefejb
    stefejb Posts: 1,725 Forumite
    Options
    Littlebean - it may be that the needles are too short. Because you have mentioned cocktail sticks i am wondering if you are using the little bamboo ones. I am a big fan of bamboo needles but can't manage those sock ones and am using longer metal ones with no difficulty. Am intersted in your circular though - I have never found one short enough for socks - how long is yours. I don't like the look of properly turned heels if I'm using patterned yarns so i do a peasant heel. - oh this lady explains it better than i could http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/lucia/634
    I'm going to feed our children non-organic food and with the money saved take them to the zoo - half man half biscuit 2008
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback